Roof hydraulics repair recommendation (Cambs)

N

naturbo2000

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
We've had the van for a few years, and been a member here since purchase, but this might be my first post! Very grateful for the wealth of knowledge we've gained from the community.

Just got back from a hot couple of weeks in Europe, during which the roof failed when we left the first campsite.

Bubbling/hissing sound during closing. Right side floppy, left side solid, at about three quarters down. Pump making the right noises thereafter, but nothing else happening. Used the emergency screw to allow the roof to close and clamped down with the VW velcro straps. Did the rest of the holiday without the roof and plenty of warning beeps to remind me to drive slowly.

Anyway, we're home now and looking to get it fixed. With the weight of the roof, I don't particularly want to do it myself.
Given the droopy right and subsequent fluid leak out the back right of the van, I expect the right hydraulic ram has failed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing? I'm in Cambridge, but can travel as required. I'd prefer to take it to somewhere that's worked on these if possible. 2007 California SE, but it sounds like the hydraulic roof is the same on all.

Regards,
Nat

We've had the van for a few years, and been a member here since purchase, but this might be my first post! Very grateful for the wealth of knowledge we've gained from the community.

Just got back from a hot couple of weeks in Europe, during which the roof failed when we left the first campsite.

Bubbling/hissing sound during closing. Right side floppy, left side solid, at about three quarters down. Pump making the right noises thereafter, but nothing else happening. Used the emergency screw to allow the roof to close and clamped down with the VW velcro straps. Did the rest of the holiday without the roof and plenty of warning beeps to remind me to drive slowly.

Anyway, we're home now and looking to get it fixed. With the weight of the roof, I don't particularly want to do it myself.
Given the droopy right and subsequent fluid leak out the back right of the van, I expect the right hydraulic ram has failed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing? I'm in Cambridge, but can travel as required. I'd prefer to take it to somewhere that's worked on these if possible. 2007 California SE, but it sounds like the hydraulic roof is the same on all.

Regards,
Nat
Please see my reply to similar post above, with my recommendation of Kernow Transporters

Regards,
Nat
There’s a guy in Derbyshire on Facebooks @markvolksvans that might be able to help (a bit closer than Cornwall possibly). I will try to get a number for you.