Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof lamp foot broken

Philip

Philip

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Somebody must have been rough (didn't happen to me) but the foot that holds the bending roof lamp is torn and it's just hanging there(impossible to stay in place). Is there a way to replace the foot only or does the whole lamp need to be replaced ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Very common, to prevent this you need to bend it only when holding the bendy bit near the base with one hand and bend the head with the other - taking the strain off the small section that fits in the base. You can try dismantling and refitting with Araldite but it probably won't last long. You'll only be able to buy a complete unit from VW.

Or do as some have done and replace with a 12v socket or just wire in a 12v DC led unit, endless ones to chose from on EBay.

There is this LED alternative from OSRAM:

725094_ONYX%20COPILOT%20ONYX%20L-7.jpg

They sell the correct size led vw ones in the club shop

• Agree
Reactions: Sad

Bought this some time ago and finally got time to replace the broken one, however the plug does not match the one in the car - it's larger than the original one.
Someone told met to cut the wires and just connect them with small connectors, but then the car has a green & brown wire and the lamp has a red & black one. Any pointers - I'm not proficient at car electricity issues...

Bought this some time ago and finally got time to replace the broken one, however the plug does not match the one in the car - it's larger than the original one.
Someone told met to cut the wires and just connect them with small connectors, but then the car has a green & brown wire and the lamp has a red & black one. Any pointers - I'm not proficient at car electricity issues...

I've got one of these --- if you push harder it goes in to the 12v socket, and works fine - a little plastic ring detaches off the light but it's not a problem

I've got one of these --- if you push harder it goes in to the 12v socket, and works fine - a little plastic ring detaches off the light but it's not a problem

Impossible, the plugs were no match at all.

OK -- perhaps your van's different to mine -- sorry.

I've a 12v cigar lighter style socket upstairs in my Beach and the osram light has a 12v cigar lighter style plug.

but there are different versions -- the one pictured above has a 'foot' to screw in whereas I got this one (with the 12v plug in the picture)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KYK97QO/?tag=eliteelect-21

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 12.07.49.png

OK -- perhaps your van's different to mine -- sorry.

I've a 12v cigar lighter style socket upstairs in my Beach and the osram light has a 12v cigar lighter style plug.

but there are different versions -- the one pictured above has a 'foot' to screw in whereas I got this one (with the 12v plug in the picture)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KYK97QO/?tag=eliteelect-21

View attachment 42990

That's the one I bought (not with the cigarette lighter type connector but the other one- it has the foot and the two wires with plug that you have to connect by removing the seatbelt trim, but the plug is different from the original light).

No problem, thanks for being helpful anyway :thumb
I can't remember which wires are which but if you connect it the wrong way then it won't work but no harm will be done. Just swap them over.

I think the vehicle Brown wire is normally Earth, so try Black to Brown first.

Back