Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof leak

T

Traveller1977

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

After having our Cali for approx 2-3 months now, 3 year old, it has been amazing considering the weather we have been experiencing. Until this weekend, when we experienced rain Fri and Sun. Not torrential, but hard enough. My concern was that

a. Rain came through the awning between awning rail and van. Is this normal? As we were not able to have the door or window open whilst it rained. Or is that why you would purchase a drive away awning?

b. The fabric on the roof showed tiny water beads inside, so as soon as you touched it it was wet. Is this normal?

c. When we closed the roof, of course it was still wet, but once shut, the water poured through the sliding roof area onto my head, creating a damp patch and now a stain in the roof fabric. Is this normal, are there any suggestions of stopping this, apart from purchasing a cover to go over the entire roof?

Many thanks, Ian

I dont think there is an awning out there that will stop all the rain when it pours,

Other than spraying some of that fancy water repel on your roof canvas or getting a vanarak it is going to get some moisture on it, inside and out.

Cant quite understand how so much water would pour in through the bit above your head?

Pls do research before spraying the roof bellows with water repellant stuff. I have seen warnings somewhere about this sort of thing in the past.

For a long time tents had a dual layer. My convertible car also has two layers of fabric for the soft top. I think with the Cali the same principle applies, so you are looking at a roof topper or pucer screen

Hi there. Ours is about the same age (April 2011). We spend between 2 to 3 month a year camping all over Europe - winter and summer. I can't see how the rain comes between the van and the awning - when it is raining we use the awning as this makes life much easies as the inside of the van doesn't get wet. Sounds very different to your situation. Twice we have had a damp patch (and damp duvet - we always sleep 'upstairs') at the foot of the bed. Both times were in a prolonged rainstorm and the amount of rain shooting off the raised roof seemed to cause the problem. Something we can live with. If the bellows are leaking there is no reason why you shouldn't re-proof as you would a tent.
I think they are amazing vehicles (we have had the usual roof problems etc) and would buy another.
Hope this helps
Adrian

There should be a strip of rubber between the awning & the van, sounds like either this is missing or not fitted properly,

VW say not to use proofing agents on the bellows. It is supposed to become more waterproof the more times it gets wet.

I do not understand how enough water can get in through the bellows to pour through the hatch.
There are four drains on the roof, one in each corner, I would suggest you check they are all clear. Rear ones are obvious. The front ones are hidden by the plastic cover at front & empty into engine compartment apparently.

I was intreagued so had a look at ours before seeing Andy's comment - attached is a photo of the seal - it finishes where the bracket is.
Adrian

image.jpg

ADevon said:
I was intreagued so had a look at ours before seeing Andy's comment - attached is a photo of the seal - it finishes where the bracket is.
Adrian

Yes so does mine, in fact it does not quite reach the bracket.

There are four drains on the roof, one in each corner, I would suggest you check they are all clear. Rear ones are obvious. The front ones are hidden by the plastic cover at front & empty into engine compartment apparently.
Andy,
Can you post a picture of these please? Thanks.
As we drove away this Friday, water poured through the bellows hatch, onto the kitchen top (the van had been stationary for a week on the drive and it rained quite heavily on Friday AM). A quick inspection through the hatch and the canvass/metal was dry. When I opened the bellows later, everything was dry, no stains or other signs of water collection. I am confused as to how the hell it got in! Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Andy,
Can you post a picture of these please? Thanks.
As we drove away this Friday, water poured through the bellows hatch, onto the kitchen top (the van had been stationary for a week on the drive and it rained quite heavily on Friday AM). A quick inspection through the hatch and the canvass/metal was dry. When I opened the bellows later, everything was dry, no stains or other signs of water collection. I am confused as to how the hell it got in! Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Try to read this sticky post , it gives details on the drain holes in the roof an some other usefull tips.....:D

Thx. Found the piccies and will check it out later.

Back