Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof loading

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before... but can anyone tell me what the maximum load is that you can put on the roof, and still be able to raise the roof?

Thanks
Dave

I believe it to be 50kgs. Remember to include weight of roof bars!

Willing to be corrected though....

Tangle Foot said:
I believe it to be 50kgs. Remember to include weight of roof bars!

Willing to be corrected though....

That is the max possible roof load. I doubt it is the max load for safe opening ?
Personally I don't think I'd be happy opening roof up with much weight on it at all. It would be seriously expensive to repair if it got damaged (twisted ?) due to too much weight.
That said I don't need carry anything on the roof.

Yes, looking at various other websites, it does appear to be 50kg. That should be fine for me.

Thanks
Dave

Im sure it is 50kg, and when I go on my summer holidays in the Cali, I usually have two kayaks on the roof, and they weigh approx 20kg each, and the roof goes up and down perfectly.

This is what we also advise to our customers :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Im sure it is 50kg, and when I go on my summer holidays in the Cali, I usually have two kayaks on the roof, and they weigh approx 20kg each, and the roof goes up and down perfectly.

This is what we also advise to our customers :thumb

That's how I understand it to be. 50kgs raising and 100kgs lowered.

God news if this is correct :cool

I have been trying to find confirmation of the weight limit of VW roof bars on a Cali se. We are likely to remove kayaks before raising the roof (50kg limit) but want to check it could take weight of 3 sea kayaks totalling approx 75kg for travelling. Anybody know?

My manual, edition 05 2013 says maximum load for pop up roof is 50kg, evenly distributed. No mention of whether the roof should be raised with this load. I wouldn't risk it!

My manual, edition 05 2013 says maximum load for pop up roof is 50kg, evenly distributed. No mention of whether the roof should be raised with this load. I wouldn't risk it!

Raising the roof can be done with 50 kg , but i thought you can load up to 100kg without raising it .....could be wrong ...

Last edited:
I have had a Thule Motion XXL on original Logo bars, stuffed with Foil-, Surf-, Kite-, Skim board and a bunch of kites. No problem at all. I bought a telescopic ladder and after shortening the legs 20 mm, it fits perfect in the underseat drawer … so it had become a lot easier to get to the stuff on the first floor ;-)

For the T6, and I cannot see it being any less for the T5,
100Kgm with 2 roof bars or 150Kgms with 4 roof bars.
image.png

@WelshGas that is great news!

But I am also a little confused. I am certain that the limit was smaller in my manual (or wherever I got the info). And I spend quite some time searching for the best compromise upon weight/size on the roof box and weighting all my kitestuff :D

But maybe the limit is 100 kg (150 kg) with roof closed, and 50 kg (as i recall) if you want to operate the roof?

This PDF says 50 kg … maybe there is a difference between the Beach/Coast and the Ocean, due to the manual and auto raising of the roof?

Skærmbillede 2016-06-06 09.28.04.png

Did we ever figure out if the difference from 50 to 100 kg was a Beach / Ocean issue?

I thought the 50kg was the max weight carried witch with you can open the hydrolic roof....
If it stays down it can carry more , but if you have to unload the box on top every time you go to sleep....?

I thought the 50kg was the max weight carried witch with you can open the hydrolic roof....
If it stays down it can carry more , but if you have to unload the box on top every time you go to sleep....?

That is what I assumed, but now I am really in doubt. I think that the 50 kg is the limit on the Beach and Coast, and 100 kg is the limit on the Ocean, it has the stronger hydraulic system.

If you see the PDF In mine and WG earlier post. The Beach says 50 kg and the one @WelshGas posted is from a Ocean and says 100 kg (150 kg). I find it hard to believe that it is a country issue. So my conclusion is the difference between the models makes the limitation.

But on the other hand … then the actual limit would be 150 kg if you use 4 roof bars? Hmmm … really?

Last edited:
I have had a Thule Motion XXL on original Logo bars, stuffed with Foil-, Surf-, Kite-, Skim board and a bunch of kites. No problem at all. I bought a telescopic ladder and after shortening the legs 20 mm, it fits perfect in the underseat drawer … so it had become a lot easier to get to the stuff on the first floor ;-)

Can you point me to where you got the telescopic ladder pls?