roof opening during winter

• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
does anyone regularly open their roof during winter months as I was thinking today that ours has been shut for near on 4 months.
The only trouble is that it might get damp and wont be able to get it dry again before closing :?

does anyone know if there are any recommendations / guidelines ?

many thanks lisa and dave :hello

Ours is open several times a month with normal use (and looking for lost items). If we need to put it down when wet/damp we put it back up to air at an early opportunity (sometimes as long as a week). This all seems to work out fine.

About a year ago we bought a Brandrup inner lining and still do the same sort of thing.

If the van wasn't in use for months I'd probably open it every month to let the breeze get at it but I'm sure it's not necessary.

Hope this helps. B

I open my roof once a week come winter or summer just to make sure it still works :laugh2

Scoobydoo said:
I open my roof once a week come winter or summer just to make sure it still works :laugh2

Difficult to know whether to regularly keep checking for peace of mind or leave well alone: it is after all a ridiculously complicated piece of kit lol

I spent 9 weeks touring in France without any problems whatsoever with the roof, came back at the end of July and didn't try the roof at all for at least three months, when I came to try the roof the control button just stuck in, now wonder if it was through not trying it every few weeks(do now), VW Lindale were fab and changed the unit and sorted out my steering knock without any problem(Cali was just 12 months old).

Now busy planning a 12 week + trip to the Pyrenees and the Southern/Northern Alps.

In a similar vein :- Charlie (used every few weeks all year round) lives inside and it would be really useful to know if there are any isses with leaving the roof partly elevated for a few days (my garage is not high enough to allow it to open fully) to dry out after a wet weekend away. It is ok fully elevated for a few days, but partially I wonder?

I would not want it partialy open in a low ceiling room and then the auto raise feature (the function that deals with the roof drooping after it has been up a while) try to put it to full height. Not sure it would do that though.

Autoraise. New one on me, must check the manual. Thanks for the input. My garage roof might not appreciate a few trusses taken out by the cali. Maybe smg can help. They must put it in some strange configurations when repairing them. I wonder how to bring this part of the thread to their attention.

When repairing we do put them partially up and down but I would not advise leaving a roof partially open for a long period of time.

Thanks

Hi, I was just thinking the same as my garage roof is not high enough to raise the roof fully. So to confirm, to leave it partially open for a day while it dried out would be ok? It wouldn't damage the mechanism or raise itself?

Thanks!

Question is for SMG of course! :lol: :lol:

The trick is removing the up and over door and its frame and fitting a new frame and outward opening doors to the face of the garage opening, not cheap but better than leaving Charlie in the rain and more to the point no one knows when we are away. Incidentally apart from being 2" wider (with the cali mirrors folded) and 1" longer than the passat its only the height that necessited the door change. my garage opening is now 7"x7" I did line the sides of the opening with carpet just in case!

back to the point! I did open the roof by about a foot for a day and nothing untoward happend. canvas dry mission accomplished.

Back