Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rack straps

B

Bird-Boy

;)Calling all surfers/windsurfers... Whilst awaiting my new Cali with roof bars, can I ask for your collective advice on attaching my kit to the roof without dinking my very shiny roof? I've always used standard straps with the metal clasps on the end, which are great for my normal sized vehicles. But with the extra height and new-ness of the van, I'm wondering if there are alternative straps (rubber coated?) or even some canoe style rack system that slides down the side of the van? All advice greatly appreciated.

I have always put the rear bench seat flat and put the boards (windsurf) & kit inside. Got a waterproof cover to go over the seats and rear bed cushion for protection. Old JP FSW 84 / Fanatic Skate 112 fits in but any longer might be an issue.
Trying to secure a series of boards on the roof in a F7 was difficult enough to do safely when I had a car, didnt fancy the idea of doing it 2m above the ground.
Are those fold down racks still available? I've forgotten the name of them to check.

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Cali and am also looking at options for loading/carrying a Canadian canoe. I use a Karitek system on my car and that is great but I am concerned that the combined weight of this and the canoe would be getting a bit close to the limit. Also when loading, all of the weight would be taken by one side of the roof. If only loading boards I doubt that would be an issue. One aspect of the Karitek method that could be a plus, is loading windsurfers when it's blowing a gale, everything is strapped and secure before its slid onto the roof.

With the straps... Slide a length of old cycle inner tube over the buckle. A small bit of protection.

The Cali is small for surfboards inside, not much room to move around a standard mini mal, struggle with a shortboard, roof rack is better. I'm considering those lockable straps

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Cali and am also looking at options for loading/carrying a Canadian canoe. I use a Karitek system on my car and that is great but I am concerned that the combined weight of this and the canoe would be getting a bit close to the limit. Also when loading, all of the weight would be taken by one side of the roof. If only loading boards I doubt that would be an issue. One aspect of the Karitek method that could be a plus, is loading windsurfers when it's blowing a gale, everything is strapped and secure before its slid onto the roof.

With the straps... Slide a length of old cycle inner tube over the buckle. A small bit of protection.

I've just agreed a purchase of a Cali. I too want to put a Kari-Tek Rack on for my Canadian. Mine weighs 26kg according to Novacraft. However I suspect might be a little more. The Cali is rated for 50kg even when the roof is raised. Don't know the weight of a Kari-Tek, but suspect it is well under 24kg's. Therefore as you say the issue would be when loading. Would design of the Kari-Tek introduce a twisting force on the Cali roof, or just load the weight straight down on one edge? If the former then I'm concerned, if the latter then I'm not too worried. I guess I need to ask Kari-Tek.

The Karitek is pretty rigid so I reckon there shouldn't be an issue with twisting. If you lift it evenly. One thing ... It may need a bit of thought as to how to strap a relatively thin board onto it. The set up with mine is geared towards the bigger load of a canoe. I have the version that fits roof bars but they sell one that fixes directly onto roof rails, which appears neater and lower.
Karitek are really helpful, worth a call.