Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof toppers

A

adrian54

Just got our Cali and very happy so far. Just realised that we need a roof topper because if it rains overnight presumably we can't put the roof down without wetting the mattress.

The brandrup topper looks the most convenient as it stays on all the time but doesn't this still have the problem that when you close the roof the upper mattress will get wet?

The other topper which seems to be popular is the Mutze. Do people that use this put it on every time they stop for the night? A rainy night is fairly likely in the UK so it seems advisable but hardwork if you need to use the van to nip to the shops etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Adrian, I had no idea that you could keep a cover on the roof when folded down :shocked We have the Confortz thermal type, see advert on the right of the forum page. Really pleased with it, does the job! I'm sure there will be more suggestions - Good luck with your topper choosing

Mazvw42 said:
Hi Adrian, I had no idea that you could keep a cover on the roof when folded down :shocked We have the Confortz thermal type, see advert on the right of the forum page. Really pleased with it, does the job! I'm sure there will be more suggestions - Good luck with your topper choosing
You can't keep a cover on the roof when you shut it. The brandeup one is a thermal gortex liner that goes inside the roof.

We have the comforts 'light weight' topper. The good thing is that, when folded and packed, it fits in the tailgate door, between the back and seat of one of the chairs...

Thanks for the feedback. The option from Comfort does seem attractive both from a storage point of view and price!

So, is it normal practice to fit the topper every time you raise the roof or only if rain is forecast?

I did wonder about a waterproof covering from the mattress but the roof itself has fabric which could stain or go mouldy. If the underside of the roof could be wiped dry then maybe a cover for the mattress would make sense.

I suppose you could take the mattress 'downstairs' if the canvas is wet and you need to move on.

Thanks for your comments.

We only use ours in the most extreme of weathers and to keep us warm if we need it.

For the most we don't feel we need to use it. In fact in the 12+ months we have had it we have only used it once.

We don't experience problems with rain coming in and we've been in some pretty rough weather.

Thanks Stu, you are very brave.

Is it okay to bring the roof down when the canvas is wet?

Like all things canvas being wet is not ideal but we have had instances of folding it damp and then we open it again the next time we have an opportunity. For example we like to stop in Aire's when going from A to B in France and we have twice been caught in torrential downpours but had to close the roof to move on and at the next stop we open up to dry or continue getting wet.

adrian54 said:
So, is it normal practice to fit the topper every time you raise the roof or only if rain is forecast?
We use it only when we are or expect to be in bad weather (rain, snow, high winds) or cold (winters, like in Stu's pictures). But we have used ours definitely more than once, Stu!

We use ours all the time, cooler in summer, warmer in winter and always dry inside.
P1020010.jpg

Thanks everyone I think I'm getting the picture it is a 'campavan' after all.

My main concern was a wet mattress. Sounds like we will have to use common sense. North of Scotland use it all the time perhaps less in South of France although if it keeps the van cooler maybe even there.

We have recently returned from a 2500 mile trip from N
Manchester via Portsmouth to The midi Pyrenees .from cherbourge all the way down the Atlantic Coast, trying to escape the rain. Across to Toulouse and then back north through the dordogne ,Limogues and Le Mans to Cherbourge and home. The topper was on every night. Dry mattress and bedding. Have it, use it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback apart from anything else it was amazing to read how adventurous every one is! We are just beginning so it's good to hear about your experiences. We have just come back from some glorious weeks in Cornwall :) Going to bed upstairs we could watch the sunset with a cooling breeze just what campavan life should be like.

Thanks again

we have got the comfortz compact topper, fits in with the chairs in the tailgate which is pretty cool and saves cluttering up the boot area.

We have a topper but only use in bad or cold weather.
During the summer months there's nothing better than having the windows unzipped and having a lovely breeze blowing through.
You won't get that with a roof cover on, too stuffy for us!

Don't have a topper - never wished I had one (although we don't camp in the snow!)

If we do need to put it down wet then we simply put the roof up again when we can to give it some air.

T

We're with Freeley - it can almost feel like you're sleeping properly outdoors! Marvellous!

Here too, we do carry a comfort topper though and have used it a few times where there has been rain as there is nothing worse than briging a wet canvas down on to the bed. Also when we camp in autumn it makes it much more cosy upstairs.

Oh yes, as Trudy says the big selling point for us is it fits in with the chairs in the tailgate so you can just forget about it.

It may depend on whether you sleep "upstairs" or not.
We have found that whilst the roof canvas doesn't actually leak if it's touched at all it will let in the damp. As we nearly always sleep in the roof and it's impossible not to touch the canvas we always fit the cover Comfortz) except if we are certain that no rain is forecast and its warm.

Hi, I am trying to find out as much as possible about the various roof options too as I want to be prepared for when my Cali arrives :D

It sounds like the Comfortz Cali Topper is a good choice but I would be interested to hear more about the benefits/disadvantages of this (or any other external cover) against the Brandrup iso-top gore liner.

My dilemma is mainly about the fitting of a cover as I will often be travelling alone (my dogs will be willing, no doubt, but unable to help) and don't know if I would actually manage to fit a roof cover without providing free entertainment for fellow campers as I let down all the capable women of the world! For this reason, the internal liner is very appealing!

However, as the OP asked, would the iso-top prevent the mattress from becoming wet if the fabric sides were touched or the roof was closed wet? If not, which is the easiest cover to fit and remove singlehanded??

:thanks
Maud

My beloved Cali has recently gone (sob)

The Brandrup Goretex roof liner & silver Mutze cap that we used to great effect didn't go with it & will shortly be seen in the For Sale / Accessories section.

Please contact me for more info if required Maud.

All of the covers are pretty easy to fit single handedly - unless it is windy!

I notest light scrathes on the roof afther used the topper just a few times...

Back