Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rookie Q: do you leave keys in and dashboard on when sleeping?

M

michelevismara

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
When i park and look at turning on heating on my T6.1 beach, it always says that i don't have my keys in and the dashboard is off - do you need to leave everything on in the night when you need heating?
Thanks!

If by "heater" you mean the vans heating from the front vents, yes, you need ignition on.

If your van has a diesel heater in it, this runs from the leisures and does not need ignition on.

Normal mode for most on an evening is keys out, van in camping mode and keys somewhere safe but NOT in the ignition. Then use the door lock button to lock the doors (not the key).

As other posts you don’t need the ignition on when using the heater . For us when we park up I put the ignition key on a lanyard. So walking away from the van it goes around my neck (obviously)
then when back I hang the lanyard up on the coat hook behind the passenger seat /door pillar

If you have had a few drinks and your keys are in the ignition then UK police consider you to be in charge of the vehicle. Lorry drivers with sleeper cabs know not to leave keys in ignition for this reason. A silly distinction but real nevertheless.

I wouldn’t leave the keys in for everything in above posts plus you can drain your starter battery if the infotainment system is left on.

We keep the keys handy during the night, but so far, not felt the need to lock the van from the inside.

As above, no! However, never, never, walk away from you van with the keys in it. Have been locked out twice now. Once with keys in the ignition and once with them lying on the back seat. No one seems to know why this happens and I certainly haven't been able to duplicate the problem on purpose.

As above, no! However, never, never, walk away from you van with the keys in it. Have been locked out twice now. Once with keys in the ignition and once with them lying on the back seat. No one seems to know why this happens and I certainly haven't been able to duplicate the problem on purpose.
Agree. Quite a few posts on this, and we’re also a bit paranoid about having the keys outside the van. One safety net is We Connect. Sign up to this and you can use your phone to unlock.

Then use the door lock button to lock the doors (not the key).
Does using the door lock button lock all doors, as I see there is a second button for the sliding door..?

We’ve only had the van a few weeks so still finding how things work.

I would never leave the keys in the ignition. Partly fear of draining the battery and partly because I just feel more secure having them close to me and not where someone unwelcome would want to find them.

When i park and look at turning on heating on my T6.1 beach, it always says that i don't have my keys in and the dashboard is off - do you need to leave everything on in the night when you need heating?
Thanks!
Only if you want an empty starter battery in the morning :). You should use the optional aux heater and not the normal heater, if you have one, its a 2000€ option on the Beach

Back