Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotary knob unresponsive in France

Thanks for all the above.
I have bought my replacement knob and armed with tools and some help I am going to attempt a repair tomorrow.
I have another question - I think that I also have a problem with my leisure batteries. I thought it was a problem with the fridge, but leisure battery was down to about 30% last night - voltage was under 12 and fridge kept turning itself off.
I have driven van back and forward to work today - and some driving while at work, but total drive to work is only about 10mins and then nipping out a few times in the van - 5mins drive each.
The van is almost 5 years old. It is driven on a daily basis, but most days - this is only about 10mins away. It does have long runs in between, but may not be weekly. Most of the time we do hook up, but last year, we lost power on the fridge after about 36 hours, whereas at the same festival 1 year previously- it almost made it to 4 days. I did raise this with dealership when at a service last September, but I didn't get much of an answer.
Have I been wrong in not charging up the batteries from the mains all along?
I was only given a european mains adaptor at the time - waiting for UK one to be delivered tomorrow to see if charging for 12 hours from the mains will help, but not sure whether this is too little too late.
Today I have driven van back and forward to work today - and some driving while at work, but total drive to work is only about 10mins and then nipping out a few times in the van - 5mins drive each.
Since coming home - fridge on and working, but now already down to 12.1V and 70% with only fridge on -3.4A on display.

Main questions - are my leisure batteries doomed and are they the likely cause for my fridge malfunction.
Sorry - I now realise how little I know - easy when everything was under warranty!

Thanks for all the above.
I have bought my replacement knob and armed with tools and some help I am going to attempt a repair tomorrow.
I have another question - I think that I also have a problem with my leisure batteries. I thought it was a problem with the fridge, but leisure battery was down to about 30% last night - voltage was under 12 and fridge kept turning itself off.
I have driven van back and forward to work today - and some driving while at work, but total drive to work is only about 10mins and then nipping out a few times in the van - 5mins drive each.
The van is almost 5 years old. It is driven on a daily basis, but most days - this is only about 10mins away. It does have long runs in between, but may not be weekly. Most of the time we do hook up, but last year, we lost power on the fridge after about 36 hours, whereas at the same festival 1 year previously- it almost made it to 4 days. I did raise this with dealership when at a service last September, but I didn't get much of an answer.
Have I been wrong in not charging up the batteries from the mains all along?
I was only given a european mains adaptor at the time - waiting for UK one to be delivered tomorrow to see if charging for 12 hours from the mains will help, but not sure whether this is too little too late.
Today I have driven van back and forward to work today - and some driving while at work, but total drive to work is only about 10mins and then nipping out a few times in the van - 5mins drive each.
Since coming home - fridge on and working, but now already down to 12.1V and 70% with only fridge on -3.4A on display.

Main questions - are my leisure batteries doomed and are they the likely cause for my fridge malfunction.
Sorry - I now realise how little I know - easy when everything was under warranty!
The fridge will cut off if Leisure Battery Voltage drops to about 11.5 v, to protect the Batteries.
The Alternator will only charge the Leisure Batteries to about 80% capacity. As it says in the Handbook, the Mains Charger should be used monthly for at least 12 hours to fully charge the Leisure Batteries. This will prolong their life.
If these Batteries are the original, and been dependant mainly on Alternator charging then they could be nearing the end of their life.

Thank you for that.
I know we weren't advised that at the time of handover, but there we go - live and learn.

Plug them in for 24 hours and you may find they are somewhat revived. No point changing unless you are sure.

Last edited:
Hi - help.
Am in the middle of mending the central control panel knob. I have got as far as removing the central control panel, but cannot remove the 2 connectors one slightly larger than the others at back of control panel - they won't budge. Have managed to release the one with the purple hinge, but stuck on the 2 connectors.
Any ideas?

Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice re knob.:thanks
For the cost of some tools(which I needed anyway), VIP membership and new knob(£19.99) - all done at much less than £1200ish that was quoted from the dealer. Am very happy:thumb
Managed with some help to replace knob - and all is working as I thought. I followed instructions to the letter and it appears that all - roof, heater and fridge do work.
Just need to solve my battery problem, new tyres and am off on Friday to Ireland via North Wales.

For the cost of some tools(which I needed anyway), VIP membership and new knob(£19.99) - all done at much less than £1200ish that was quoted from the dealer. Am very happy:thumb
Managed with some help to replace knob - and all is working as I thought. I followed instructions to the letter and it appears that all - roof, heater and fridge do work.
Just need to solve my battery problem, new tyres and am off on Friday to Ireland via North Wales.
A great result :thumb

Excellent. Pack the tools just in case. As I said, mine worked for a while then the push to select stopped working. If that happens strip it out and use the tweezer option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Aha... you fixed it yourself, in the field, in the face of all adversity, with shabby tools, the forum VIP download guide and a bit of dutch courage from me? Nice one!"

Ok, so I didn't get the download guide, but I found a video on youtube and went from there. I don't think I would have had a go at it unless camper-x had explained that I could put it back together and operate it without a knob. Very easy to fix in the end, very luckily I have an assortment of tools on board including a T6 Torx bit. I think without a T6 Torx bit you would struggle to fix it.
What I found inside the unit was that half of the knurled rim inside the knob had broken off, so it wasn't gripping the shaft too well. The actual switch inside is metal and has a slot in the end.
I put it back together, selected the correct language and temp settings, reset the clock and it works perfectly (with a nice red glow from where the switch was. I extended the switch with the back of a clutch pencil (the bit that goes over the rubber), it wedged on a treat. I may leave it like that, but have ordered some potentiometer knobs (10 for £1.66) when they arrive I will see if they do the job or not.
Thanks again

Fantastic stuff, love to see someone having a go and saving themselves a shed load of cash! :D

"Aha... you fixed it yourself, in the field, in the face of all adversity, with shabby tools, the forum VIP download guide and a bit of dutch courage from me? Nice one!"

Ok, so I didn't get the download guide, but I found a video on youtube and went from there. I don't think I would have had a go at it unless camper-x had explained that I could put it back together and operate it without a knob. Very easy to fix in the end, very luckily I have an assortment of tools on board including a T6 Torx bit. I think without a T6 Torx bit you would struggle to fix it.
What I found inside the unit was that half of the knurled rim inside the knob had broken off, so it wasn't gripping the shaft too well. The actual switch inside is metal and has a slot in the end.
I put it back together, selected the correct language and temp settings, reset the clock and it works perfectly (with a nice red glow from where the switch was. I extended the switch with the back of a clutch pencil (the bit that goes over the rubber), it wedged on a treat. I may leave it like that, but have ordered some potentiometer knobs (10 for £1.66) when they arrive I will see if they do the job or not.
Thanks again

That's a nice idea. I just had a quick look and potentiometer knobs are in abundance on eBay. Guess the trick will be shaft diameter (most seem to be 6mm), outer knob diameter (as control panel shaft is countersunk) and depth of knob (just for preference). Do please let us know how you get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back