Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotary knob on control panel

Mine went in July! warrantee out in May :(
I have had it replaced. VW agreed to pay half the cost and the dealer have split the rest with me. I complained that it is a very expensive knob! ...but decided that for peace of mind I'd go ahead. They said that since I have contributed towards the cost, the panel now has a 2year warrantee. Reassuring...but irritating to have had to spend the money.

Californiaman said:
I would like to see the button that operates the roof moved or duplicated on the door - or even via remote control on the key fob, thus giving you choices around where you are when you raise and lower the roof. Not so you can do it from miles away you understand, but so you can be checking all around etc as it is lowered.

I happy to say to you that there is in Holland a remote control for operating the roof in preparation and will be available early 2014.
I will keep you informed.

Regards,

Wim
VW Camper Site

Please post here when it's available, that sounds like a very good idea

wim said:
[
I happy to say to you that there is in Holland a remote control for operating the roof in preparation and will be available early 2014.
I will keep you informed.

Regards,

Wim
VW Camper Site

Awesome !

Just a quick update on my last post, I had a call from VW customer care who have offered me a free service for my inconvenience. They also reminded me ( which I had forgot) that under the terms of the warranty of breakdown cover, all members are entitled to two nights in a hotel or a replacement Cali to carry on with your journey while yours is being repaired if, it carnt be repaired at breakdown point. This applies all over Europe!! :clap
May be worth remembering that one.

A sturdy alternative replacement :D :
Engineer-solution-funny-01.jpg

Attachments

• Engineer-solution-funny-01.jpg
    Engineer-solution-funny-01.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3
Just a thought.
My guess is that the knob gets broken not during the normal operations but most likely when people climb upstairs and accidently hit it with knees, feet or elbows. :headbang
Be alerted, an un-careful move may cost you 500 Pounds... :doh
Regards
Andrzej

I had similar problem with knob just spinning and not operating correctly. Eventually got control panel replaced under warranty. Also had to have plug and socket underneath floor in sink cupboard that connect kitchen to main wiring loom replaced as LCD display kept going blank. All done successfully under warranty but was off the road for quite a while. Plug and socket had corroded for some reason but VW repair now completed and all is well.

Had my camper control unit replaced under warranty when the rotary switch failed

Rang VW Customer Service several times. They have spoken to our local dealer. They say that as we didn't buy the vehicle from them ourselves and we have never had it serviced there they are not willing to contribute to the costs as there is currently no customer loyalty from us to them. I pointed out it has not yet needed a service since we bought it privately last March so that's silly. What they also mean is that as we are the second owners we get no help, whereas if the first owner had asked they might have done. I can see their point, from the local dealers point of view they have not earned any money from us as a customer (yet).

The second possibility was assistance from VW Customer Service themselves, but the answer was no. Their technical people says it is not a manufacturing defect, and it was broken during normal wear and tear.

Conclusion - no assistance to the cost of the replacement part from VW.

1x broken knob, made from marzipan, may cost us c£500 to repair.

However in the spirit of supporting cottage industry I have ordered a replacement knob from Andreas Ernst for 16 euros plus postage and I'll open the box and fit it myself.

I'd have preferred an official VW knob though if they would ever sell them but I suspect Andrea's knob will last longer. :laugh2

Please please take some pictures when you do it :thumb

Apologies - I thought everyone knew how to use google translate. You lose the pictures but not difficult to follow. The translation is flawed, but it works well enough if you also have the original version with the pictures alongside it.

http://translate.google.com/transla...pf_2.pdf&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=null

Page 1
Quick Guide: Knob exchange VW T5 Camper Unit The following tutorial is designed to help the knob to operate the unit of campers VW T5 California exchange. If you follow the following steps should be no problem Be the camper unit without further defect and install again. It is for each themselves whether to follow the steps. Figure 1: Rendered CAD - Picture of the replacement knob Since my CU-knob inside the tooth was broken and these buttons individually are not offered to me but a new CU (about 450 €) was too expensive I have self-help and possible to manufacture a suitable button in rapid prototyping. The button SLS was prepared in a method which leads to a slightly rough surface. Through the laser treatment you can see pores on the surface, as shown below. Figure 2: SLS manufactured knob The material is very strong and absolutely reliable. The buttons were after production cleaned and painted. The button can be plugged directly into the original wave of the CU and is fully functional. Those interested in having a button (I have any left) I can be happy with nadi025@+++++++.com contact. The knob could also be in a other RP processes are made ​​(if anyone is interested), but that the Drives up production costs, but offers a finer surface. A button as shown in Figure 2, I could offer for a fee of € 16.
Page 2
Step by step description for installing a replacement knob in the CU of the T5 California. Move Image Description 1 This is the CU (a broken) Original button! 2 To remove the instructions in Follow the manual ... here however To demonstrate it. Open compartment for glasses. 3 Through the Openings the Light switch panel with fingers push down 4  then looks like this. 5 And keep it up. Can the cable hang!
Page 3
6 Then the CU with the sides Relief one Screwdriver unclipped (left and right) 7 Then the CU easy with Fingers pushed outward will ... 8 ... And withdrawn. 9 Now the CU depends only on Cable. 10th This is now defined. Purple Tab Unclip and then during removal of the plug folded to the left.
Page 4
11th Normally, the CU is now. Thereby the clock and the date Resets. My dealer told me Asserts' that nothing further is deleted (was for me never the case  clock needs to Replacement will be provided new) of course I am not Warranty / liability for any Defective / deletions! 12th CU has now developed are opened. It requires a small Screwdriver, a T5 Torx and possibly a sharp knife. 13th Now the warranty seal is  cut or as in my case removed. So that void the dealer warranty. Would be the case of a warranty defect you'd have to not read it here, so a problem. Is out of Cali fairly new, then talk again with the Kind. 14th The CU clipped. There are up and two clips below, right and left a. This step is somewhat fiddly. The clips careful and simultaneously press the Pull apart the two shells. 15th Then it is done.
Page 5
16th Now the front board with the will T5 Torx expanded (four screws). 17th Front Shell careful decrease. Now the button is exposed. 18th Remove the defective button (if it is not already fallen off.) It is in this condition, the CU also reassemble without incorporate a button and the Unit by Screwdriver use! 19th Spare button to stop the Slide the shaft!
Page 6
20th Check that the button actually fits. (I assume that all Knob shafts are the same). Turn the knob  you can feel the individual steps of the knob. Press the button  you hear and feel the click. 21, Front shell and back on it with the four Torx Screw screw. And then backward again Install. Zuclipsen unit   In Cali plug back on it, Close purple clips back (See step 10) Insert  CU  light switch panel Slide Close  goggle pocket  Finished!!  That CU to make and Setting the time / date.  Then really finished. I hope the guide could help! Regards, Groby 2012

Original German text:
Die folgende Kurzanleitung soll helfen den Drehknopf zur Bedienung der Camper Unit des
Contribute a better translation

I removed the camper unit control panel this afternoon and took out the button. Sure enough it's broken in exactly the same manner as I've seen looking at other people's photos of this problem.

We have installed a replacement camper unit which had a different part number. The unit I removed was 7E7 906 453 A and the new one is 7E7 906 453 C.

What was interesting is that the motion and feel of the button of the new unit is different. More precise, better "click" feel and so on. My impression is that there has been a design change to the button and button mount. It could be my imagination, but to me it does feel different.

I guess we'll never find out if there was a design change to the button between versions A, B and C but what infuriates me is VW's complete refusal to accept that this part is fragile and easily broken (at least in version A) and to tell me that it's breakage is as a result of normal wear and tear.

This is our broken button.

IMG_1587-L.jpg

Below are some of the photos I've found of other users broken buttons. What I want to find out is if it's a problem with the A boxes only. Has anyone with a C box had a broken button? If anyone can tell me when the updated boxes were released, and for people who have suffered broken buttons to tell me what year their van is we might be able to see a pattern. If people are still suffering broken buttons on 2013 vans then maybe the updates haven't improved the button strength. However if VW have changed the robustness of the button in their C release then I'm not going to accept their statement that "there is no design fault".

Ours is a 2010 facelift California.

Other peoples broken buttons :-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374685857.891536-L.jpg

CU%20Knopf%20aus%20Marzipan%20C..90-L.jpg

IMG_0633-L.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1587-L.jpg
    IMG_1587-L.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0633-L.jpg
    IMG_0633-L.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4
  • CU%20Knopf%20aus%20Marzipan%20C..90-L.jpg
    CU%20Knopf%20aus%20Marzipan%20C..90-L.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374685857.891536-L.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374685857.891536-L.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
I've got a new control panel on order for this reason. Is there a way to tell which part number you've got without removing the unit?

I don't believe so as the only number is printed on the rear of the unit. This is our old one.

IMG_2556-L.jpg

I wonder if there is a way of checking via the secret menu?

This is a camper unit sold on the German eBay recently - with a different part number again - 7H7 906 453 C. This unit was being sold not beacuse it had a broken button but because its LCD display was not working.

7H7%20906%20453%20C-L.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2556-L.jpg
    IMG_2556-L.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2
Anyone want to sell their old control panel? Assuming the rest of it is still functioning OK. My heating has stopped working and I want to eliminate the control panel, by swapping it out. Clearly I am looking for a bargain ;-) If this doesn't fix the problem I do not want to be too out of pocket!

Thanks Barry

PM me if interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm hanging on to mine as a spare. All I need to do is replace the broken knob and I'm sorted.

Judging by the failure rates of the button or the LCD displays it's a sensible thing to do. If we ever sell the van my guess is that there will be an even hotter second hand demand for these boxes by then so we'll have no trouble selling it at that time with the comfort of knowing we've got a spare in the meantime.

Mine is broken on a 2007. Andreas Ernst has sent my new button which I hope to fit when I have some spare time. Will report how it goes.

VW design fault ! The control panels on the T4 Westfalia Calis were indestructible (like everything else).

When I get mine replaced, I'm going to see if I can keep the old part as a spare. I'll then order a replacement button. That might save me £600 in the future.

Dave_T said:
When I get mine replaced, I'm going to see if I can keep the old part as a spare. I'll then order a replacement button. That might save me £600 in the future.

If yours is replaced under warranty then you will not be able to have the old part back.

cheers

That explains why I didn't get mine back when VW Assist did it under warranty.

David

Back