Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotary knob on control panel

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Messages
145
Location
London
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
caligraphy said:
Mine is broken on a 2007. Andreas Ernst has sent my new button which I hope to fit when I have some spare time. Will report how it goes.

VW design fault ! The control panels on the T4 Westfalia Calis were indestructible (like everything else).

How did it go? I have absolutely no idea how to do this, I am not electronically minded and have no idea what I'm doing but I'm prepared to do it if I might save £500!!!!!!

I am. 'Second owner' so I don't think I will get anywhere with the dealership.

Please help..... :help :help :help :help
 
G

gatvol

Messages
494
My plastic rotary control failed so I had the whole CCU replaced by VW under warranty. Given the problems that some folk have had with the LCD display failing I was actually quite relieved to get a new unit. I may be profoundly naïve, but I hope that VW has improved the LCD displays over time ?

If you take a step back, this is just MAD, MAD, MAD on so many levels. The CCU is a key feature of the California. Things like the easily accessible fridge thermostat, overnight heater, electric roof will significantly influence some folk to buy a Cali in the first place.

The economic irrationality of the subsequent failures here just defies me. Like others, I tried to keep my original CCU to have as a spare for the future - but VW would not let me keep it either. Forget Elvis leaving the building, common sense has left it too.

1 Making a robust "rotary click and push" type switch is not technologically difficult in the first place. The standard vw radio has these and use here will be far more demanding than on the CCU
2 How can VW quality control have let such a crap product through testing ? Innumerate modern machines have these controls nowadays. 1970s car radios had these sorts of knobs on and you can just "see" with your own eyes that the VW one is inadequately engineered. I remember the 1970s ones having wire wrapped round the internal central sleeve so that it held the knob on firmly and strengthened the overall assembly
3 How can it be sensible to replace the whole CCU, rather than just a 10p plastic part that failed ?

I am so pleased that the aftermarket has found a rational way of dealing with this problem - ie make a little bit of plastic for folk and sell it to them at a reasonable price

I have a 5 year old stihl chainsaw that completely failed recently. Some Grohe taps I bought last year had visible flaws straight out of the box. The 18v batteries (Malaysian) on my 3 year old Swiss made Bosch Professional drill are totally crap and stupidly expensive to replace. Things like this used to be bulletproof, but not anymore. When I took the chainsaw to bits I saw that the carburettor was made in China. Now some Chinese gear is quality, but an awful lot is manufactured to be sold at very cheap prices

Given experiences like this, unless they wake up and smell the coffee, I predict the demise of traditional German premium manufacturers (Stihl, VW, Bosch Professional Tools .....) They are trying to market their products as premium, but they have begun using Far Eastern manufactured subcomponents that are as robust as spider's webs. Thus they display a fragility that one would normally associate with products costing 10% of their price. There is no way that these "German" products combining quality design but crap manufacture can sell for 10x the cost of others' products over the medium term.
 
Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Messages
521
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
gatvol said:
My plastic rotary control failed so I had the whole CCU replaced by VW under warranty. Given the problems that some folk have had with the LCD display failing I was actually quite relieved to get a new unit. I may be profoundly naïve, but I hope that VW has improved the LCD displays over time ?

If you take a step back, this is just MAD, MAD, MAD on so many levels. The CCU is a key feature of the California. Things like the easily accessible fridge thermostat, overnight heater, electric roof will significantly influence some folk to buy a Cali in the first place.

The economic irrationality of the subsequent failures here just defies me. Like others, I tried to keep my original CCU to have as a spare for the future - but VW would not let me keep it either. Forget Elvis leaving the building, common sense has left it too.

1 Making a robust "rotary click and push" type switch is not technologically difficult in the first place. The standard vw radio has these and use here will be far more demanding than on the CCU
2 How can VW quality control have let such a crap product through testing ? Innumerate modern machines have these controls nowadays. 1970s car radios had these sorts of knobs on and you can just "see" with your own eyes that the VW one is inadequately engineered. I remember the 1970s ones having wire wrapped round the internal central sleeve so that it held the knob on firmly and strengthened the overall assembly
3 How can it be sensible to replace the whole CCU, rather than just a 10p plastic part that failed ?

I am so pleased that the aftermarket has found a rational way of dealing with this problem - ie make a little bit of plastic for folk and sell it to them at a reasonable price

I have a 5 year old stihl chainsaw that completely failed recently. Some Grohe taps I bought last year had visible flaws straight out of the box. The 18v batteries (Malaysian) on my 3 year old Swiss made Bosch Professional drill are totally crap and stupidly expensive to replace. Things like this used to be bulletproof, but not anymore. When I took the chainsaw to bits I saw that the carburettor was made in China. Now some Chinese gear is quality, but an awful lot is manufactured to be sold at very cheap prices

Given experiences like this, unless they wake up and smell the coffee, I predict the demise of traditional German premium manufacturers (Stihl, VW, Bosch Professional Tools .....) They are trying to market their products as premium, but they have begun using Far Eastern manufactured subcomponents that are as robust as spider's webs. Thus they display a fragility that one would normally associate with products costing 10% of their price. There is no way that these "German" products combining quality design but crap manufacture can sell for 10x the cost of others' products over the medium term.

I absolutely share your disappointment. The control panel is as badly designed as possible, and starting from its location directly under metal roof. The place where it is, is exposed for extreme temperatures, probably +70-80 deg. in summer heat, low temperatures in winter. It is exposed on kicking when people climbing to the upper bed. Placing it there should be followed by a robust, military design, not fragile plastic china like philosophy. I personally think that placing the panel somewhere on the cupboard would be much more logical and safer for it. How often you need to operate it whilst driving ???. Obviously this is commercially driven, because it looks nicer, like a cockpit of a plane, but technically speaking this is a chain of errors.
 
DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Messages
882
Location
Hampshire
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Andresz said:
gatvol said:
My plastic rotary control failed so I had the whole CCU replaced by VW under warranty. Given the problems that some folk have had with the LCD display failing I was actually quite relieved to get a new unit. I may be profoundly naïve, but I hope that VW has improved the LCD displays over time ?

If you take a step back, this is just MAD, MAD, MAD on so many levels. The CCU is a key feature of the California. Things like the easily accessible fridge thermostat, overnight heater, electric roof will significantly influence some folk to buy a Cali in the first place.

The economic irrationality of the subsequent failures here just defies me. Like others, I tried to keep my original CCU to have as a spare for the future - but VW would not let me keep it either. Forget Elvis leaving the building, common sense has left it too.

1 Making a robust "rotary click and push" type switch is not technologically difficult in the first place. The standard vw radio has these and use here will be far more demanding than on the CCU
2 How can VW quality control have let such a crap product through testing ? Innumerate modern machines have these controls nowadays. 1970s car radios had these sorts of knobs on and you can just "see" with your own eyes that the VW one is inadequately engineered. I remember the 1970s ones having wire wrapped round the internal central sleeve so that it held the knob on firmly and strengthened the overall assembly
3 How can it be sensible to replace the whole CCU, rather than just a 10p plastic part that failed ?

I am so pleased that the aftermarket has found a rational way of dealing with this problem - ie make a little bit of plastic for folk and sell it to them at a reasonable price

I have a 5 year old stihl chainsaw that completely failed recently. Some Grohe taps I bought last year had visible flaws straight out of the box. The 18v batteries (Malaysian) on my 3 year old Swiss made Bosch Professional drill are totally crap and stupidly expensive to replace. Things like this used to be bulletproof, but not anymore. When I took the chainsaw to bits I saw that the carburettor was made in China. Now some Chinese gear is quality, but an awful lot is manufactured to be sold at very cheap prices

Given experiences like this, unless they wake up and smell the coffee, I predict the demise of traditional German premium manufacturers (Stihl, VW, Bosch Professional Tools .....) They are trying to market their products as premium, but they have begun using Far Eastern manufactured subcomponents that are as robust as spider's webs. Thus they display a fragility that one would normally associate with products costing 10% of their price. There is no way that these "German" products combining quality design but crap manufacture can sell for 10x the cost of others' products over the medium term.

I absolutely share your disappointment. The control panel is as badly designed as possible, and starting from its location directly under metal roof. The place where it is, is exposed for extreme temperatures, probably +70-80 deg. in summer heat, low temperatures in winter. It is exposed on kicking when people climbing to the upper bed. Placing it there should be followed by a robust, military design, not fragile plastic china like philosophy. I personally think that placing the panel somewhere on the cupboard would be much more logical and safer for it. How often you need to operate it whilst driving ???. Obviously this is commercially driven, because it looks nicer, like a cockpit of a plane, but technically speaking this is a chain of errors.
I agree absolutely. We had the same problem last year a day before leaving for France and the van was sitting on the drive with the roof stuck up ( I have already reported all this on the Forum). After it was repaired under warranty by the VW call out scheme (brilliantly) I wrote to VW about my disappointment at the quality of the switch etc. The reply was not very understanding I felt, but they did send me a voucher for a free service so there was an acknowledgement of at least one unhappy customer and maybe the message will get through re quality
 
Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Messages
521
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
DavidofHook said:
[I agree absolutely. We had the same problem last year a day before leaving for France and the van was sitting on the drive with the roof stuck up ( I have already reported all this on the Forum). After it was repaired under warranty by the VW call out scheme (brilliantly) I wrote to VW about my disappointment at the quality of the switch etc. The reply was not very understanding I felt, but they did send me a voucher for a free service so there was an acknowledgement of at least one unhappy customer and maybe the message will get through re quality

That is why I have a spare panel always with me. I assembled it from 2 faulty panels,
 
DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Messages
882
Location
Hampshire
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Not sure my skills are up to doing a replacement Andresz, at the moment I can rely on the warranty but there will come a time..........!
 
calireg

calireg

Messages
16
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm pretty sure i can replace my control panel ,but funds mean i really would love to replace the control panel knob only ...was there somewhere i can find one of these ???
 
G

gatvol

Messages
494
Would be a terrible shame to replace the whole panel, if just a plastic knob ifs required
 
calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Messages
15,604
Location
Kettering
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
calireg said:
I'm pretty sure i can replace my control panel ,but funds mean i really would love to replace the control panel knob only ...was there somewhere i can find one of these ???

Hi if you PayPal £19.99 to admin@vwcaliforniaclub.com I will send you a replacement knob
With instructions on how to replace it
 
richv

richv

Messages
10
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just replaced my control panel knob.
VW quotation...over £700

Do it yourself:
20 quid for forum VIP membership to download instructions
20 quid for a new knob
11 quid for a set of torx screw drivers.

What shall do do with the £649 I just saved? Answers on a postcard.

Ps Thank you California Club for all the advice.
 
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
20,232
Location
United Kingdom
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Didn't realise that VIP membership had gone up since my renewal!:eek:
 
T5sevilla

T5sevilla

Messages
19
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Interesting thread!
I guess I have been "lucky" to only have 2 CU panel replacements (neither under warranty..) for the pixelated screen issue (for both.) Have never had an issue with the rotary knob....
I am keeping my 2 old panels, and might attempt the 'ribbon' repair to one of them to see if I can bring the screen back to life. I prefer the 'older' functionality of the fridge, where you see and select the actual temperature that you want, rather than selecting 1-6 or Max, which is, IMHO, a backward step!
Having lived and worked in Germany, (where I bought my 2008 LHD Cali,) I came to learn that the phrases "German efficiency" and "German precision" are, with a few exceptions, oxymorons. :confused:
 
chrissmit

chrissmit

Messages
87
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi all,

I just disassembled the control unit from my T5.
The rotary knob is completely in tact.

I might have a different/related issue:
When I turn the knob, it seems to skip menu items on the display.
So the gray knob is in tact.
The little bit of see-through plastic part underneath the knob is also intact. It has a little white point (pointing at 10 o'clock). That white seems to be worn off a bit. So I can see a tiny bit through it (under the white point there is a light sensitive diode/led I think).
Could that be the cause of this "menu skipping"?
 
michaelj70

michaelj70

Messages
26
Location
Beziers France
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Our knob is on the way out !! I thought there was a manual way of lowering and raising the roof ?????
 
SimplyDubs

SimplyDubs

VW and loving it...
Messages
934
Vehicle
N/A
Our knob is on the way out !! I thought there was a manual way of lowering and raising the roof ?????

Lowering... Yes and you wouldn't want to do it once, never mind more than once.

Raising... No

That's part of the problem with an overcomplicated electro-hydraulic roof... I've said it before but I wish it was manual, it would solve a lot of problems.

Rgds
M
 
W1lly

W1lly

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
55
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello Everyone,
Its Nick from comfortz leisure here, I've finally got my self a Cali so thought I'd better have a standard account to input into the forum as an owner as well as a trader :thumb

Anyway I seem to have the same issue with the menu skipping back and forth and I expect that the button is okay (But I've ordered one from the club and will replace anyway - with the aid of the how to guide). So I'll be watching this thread with much interest. I'll also post any progress I make.

Cheers All
 
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
20,232
Location
United Kingdom
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
3,910
Location
Glossop
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
As far as I know (and I've read what I can), we are still unclear what is the root cause of this 'skipping'. The other faults (broken splines and faulty display) seem better understood. Can anyone explain a theory why they skip, and what the prognosis is in the short / long term?
 

VW California Club

Top