Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Routing the Cable to install a EcoFlow 800w Alternator Charger

Euro Traveller

Euro Traveller

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, has anyone successfully installed an EcoFlow 800w alternator charger in a Cali Ocean 6.1, routing the cable from cabin area via firewall to the Starter battery, I’m struggling to start this myself, I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions for this to be done by a competent auto electrician
Regds
Mike

Hi, has anyone successfully installed an EcoFlow 800w alternator charger in a Cali Ocean 6.1, routing the cable from cabin area via firewall to the Starter battery, I’m struggling to start this myself, I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions for this to be done by a competent auto electrician
Regds
Mike
Why do you have to go to the Starter battery?
There is a heavy gauge +tve red cable from the Starter battery to the Split Charge relay under the front L seat in front of the Leisure battery.

Subscribed. Facing the same connundrum. If the split charge relay is getting unthrottled output from the alternator this could be the best way to connect the alternator charger.

There is a heavy gauge +tve red cable from the Starter battery to the Split Charge relay under the front L seat in front of the Leisure battery.
I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the charger needs needs to connect to the starter battery to draw from alternator, however if the split charge relay provides this, then that’s where I’ll connect, one of the functions of the EcoFlow Delta 2 battery is it can provide a boost charge to the starter battery (if flat) when required if connected, I’ll need to investigate if this feature is still applicable if connected via the relay under the seat, certainly make life a lot easier

I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the charger needs needs to connect to the starter battery to draw from alternator, however if the split charge relay provides this, then that’s where I’ll connect, one of the functions of the EcoFlow Delta 2 battery is it can provide a boost charge to the starter battery (if flat) when required if connected, I’ll need to investigate if this feature is still applicable if connected via the relay under the seat, certainly make life a lot easier
I imagine the connection is made to the input side of the relay in which case it should be equivalent to connecting to the terminals on the engine battery.

IMG_2349.jpeg

R is under the seat.

Changing the split charge relay for a DC to DC charger would be a better bet (Votronic 121230 with remote display). your onboard charger would charge your crank battery then, and the votronic can charge leisure batteries properly

Changing the split charge relay for a DC to DC charger would be a better bet (Votronic 121230 with remote display). your onboard charger would charge your crank battery then, and the votronic can charge leisure batteries properly
This is witchcraft!

Could this be used in conjunction with charging the EF D2 from solar panels? My current plan, such as it is is to run a ciggie charger female from the load on the Victron to plug the 12V adapter of the EF into.

Am I better running an EF60 connector direct to the Victron instead of the above?

Gents, you need to check the specification of your split charge relay. The current rating of your relay should be an indication of the current carrying capacity of the cable from the crank battery/alternator to the relay. This 800W alternator charger is a rather expensive DC to DC charger for charging your ecoflow Lithium power pack. As for using the crank battery to split charge relay cable for connecting the boost to, not advisable, what is the boost output in amps? you could just turn the cable into a smoke generator.

Gents, you need to check the specification of your split charge relay. The current rating of your relay should be an indication of the current carrying capacity of the cable from the crank battery/alternator to the relay. This 800W alternator charger is a rather expensive DC to DC charger for charging your ecoflow Lithium power pack. As for using the crank battery to split charge relay cable for connecting the boost to, not advisable, what is the boost output in amps? you could just turn the cable into a smoke generator.
The Split Charge relay has an 80 amp fuse between relay and first Leisure Battery on the T5.1 and at least that on the T6/6.1.
The input side of the split charge relay is fused at 100 amps.

This 800w alternator charger would draw 800/12 = 66.7 amps, so the cables serving the split charge relay are more than capable.

Does this diagram predate regenerative charging? Offhand I don't see any place where the 80% charging limit is imposed. Wouldn't the OP's idea of connecting the EF charger to "R" charge all 3 batteries to 100%, where ideally you would stop it at 93% to give the regenerated juice someplace to go.

Does this diagram predate regenerative charging? Offhand I don't see any place where the 80% charging limit is imposed. Wouldn't the OP's idea of connecting the EF charger to "R" charge all 3 batteries to 100%, where ideally you would stop it at 93% to give the regenerated juice someplace to go.
The 80% limit is controlled by the vehicle ECU which monitors battery status of all 3 batteries. I do not see that connecting directly to the Engine/Starter battery would make any difference. My reading is that the EF charger is directly charging the Ecoflow. If it triggers the Intelligent Alternator to full, 100%, output then that is no different to triggering Max Charge via the Dashboard Max Charge Button or switching on headlights or heated seats.

The Split Charge relay has an 80 amp fuse between relay and first Leisure Battery on the T5.1 and at least that on the T6/6.1.
The input side of the split charge relay is fused at 100 amps.

This 800w alternator charger would draw 800/12 = 66.7 amps, so the cables serving the split charge relay are more than capable.
Not if used to boost a flat starter Battery!

The 80% limit is controlled by the vehicle ECU which monitors battery status of all 3 batteries. I do not see that connecting directly to the Engine/Starter battery would make any difference. My reading is that the EF charger is directly charging the Ecoflow. If it triggers the Intelligent Alternator to full, 100%, output then that is no different to triggering Max Charge via the Dashboard Max Charge Button or switching on headlights or heated seats.
The ECU on a Euro 6 + vehicle controls the output of the Alternator through the D+ line to regulate the Start/stop technology charging of the Starter Battery. The ECU does not control the split charge relay which is purely a voltage sensitive relay that should protect the starter battery and maintain it, usually to the detriment of the leisure batteries which have a different charging characteristic. The alternator does not put out the correct charging characteristic for the leisure batteries, it is not designed for this purpose hence a dc to dc converter is the best solution (sometimes called a battery booster). This ecoflow alternator generator is a dc to dc converter

The ECU on a Euro 6 + vehicle controls the output of the Alternator through the D+ line to regulate the Start/stop technology charging of the Starter Battery. The ECU does not control the split charge relay which is purely a voltage sensitive relay that should protect the starter battery and maintain it, usually to the detriment of the leisure batteries which have a different charging characteristic. The alternator does not put out the correct charging characteristic for the leisure batteries, it is not designed for this purpose hence a dc to dc converter is the best solution (sometimes called a battery booster). This ecoflow alternator generator is a dc to dc converter
And your point is?

The fact that Ecoflow label it differently is upto them. No doubt it is designed with the Ecoflow lithium power bank in mind rather than AGM leisure batteries.

VW use AGM batteries for starter and leisure, normally by Varta F21 for starter LA80 for leisure. According to Varta the specifications for both batteries are exactly the same and according to some both are interchangeable with each other.

And your point is?

The fact that Ecoflow label it differently is upto them. No doubt it is designed with the Ecoflow lithium power bank in mind rather than AGM leisure batteries.

VW use AGM batteries for starter and leisure, normally by Varta F21 for starter LA80 for leisure. According to Varta the specifications for both batteries are exactly the same and according to some both are interchangeable with each other.
I bow to your superior knowledge and wisdom

Thanks everyone for the awesome responses, having removed passenger seat (2 bolts & 2 nuts) balanced seat at an angle, I have connected the EAC live to the relay, earthed -black cable to closest bolt at the base of the seat/chassis to the right of the relay, tested all good after a few problem with the EAC and EcoFlow Battery, both required firmware updating to current version, then all worked perfectly

Thanks everyone for the awesome responses, having removed passenger seat (2 bolts & 2 nuts) balanced seat at an angle, I have connected the EAC live to the relay, earthed -black cable to closest bolt at the base of the seat/chassis to the right of the relay, tested all good after a few problem with the EAC and EcoFlow Battery, both required firmware updating to current version, then all worked perfectly
What voltage input are you seeing on the Delta 2 display when alternator is charging? Did you disconnect all 3 batteries before wiring in the EAC, or just the engine battery?

What voltage input are you seeing on the Delta 2 display when alternator is charging? Did you disconnect all 3 batteries before wiring in the EAC, or just the engine battery?
I had initially seen 775w at idle, however I turned down to 600w on app as a max as usually on long journeys between battery use, the charge,
Initially at idle I had 775w, I’ve not tested on the move as yet, my intention is to throttle down to 600w as a average input, I switched off leisure batteries and cabin power at the fuse box in rear, the relay is dormant until activated by engine, so didn’t disconnect batts at terminals, made connections double checked all switched back on at fuse box and all seems to work fine
P.S I’m not an electrician or an enthusiast just double checked everything having received invaluable information from the respondents to my enquiry
Thanks again All

I had initially seen 775w at idle, however I turned down to 600w on app as a max as usually on long journeys between battery use, the charge,

Initially at idle I had 775w, I’ve not tested on the move as yet, my intention is to throttle down to 600w as a average input, I switched off leisure batteries and cabin power at the fuse box in rear, the relay is dormant until activated by engine, so didn’t disconnect batts at terminals, made connections double checked all switched back on at fuse box and all seems to work fine
P.S I’m not an electrician or an enthusiast just double checked everything having received invaluable information from the respondents to my enquiry
Thanks again All
Excellent work. This is surely the way to go. When you say switched off leisure batteries and cabin power the fuse box are you referring to fuses under the seat? Did you check with a multimeter there was no voltage at the terminals used to connect the EAC? Where did you install the EAC in the cabin and how did you secure it?

Excellent work. This is surely the way to go. When you say switched off leisure batteries and cabin power the fuse box are you referring to fuses under the seat? Did you check with a multimeter there was no voltage at the terminals used to connect the EAC? Where did you install the EAC in the cabin and how did you secure it?
Sorry for the confusion here, I switched off at fuse box at the rear of the van inside the cabinet (Cali Ocean) only, I checked the terminal on the relay for power the relay terminal is in line before leisure batts, i therefore connected live to relay (see photo with arrow provided by one of the respondents) and -neg black cable to base of seat housing (scrape away any paint and use a spring washer to help to get a good contact to earth, I have not so far attached the EAC to anywhere but intend attaching to the side of the cabinet behind the passenger seat mid way up using strong Velcro as suggested by others,

Sorry for the confusion here, I switched off at fuse box at the rear of the van inside the cabinet (Cali Ocean) only, I checked the terminal on the relay for power the relay terminal is in line before leisure batts, i therefore connected live to relay (see photo with arrow provided by one of the respondents) and -neg black cable to base of seat housing (scrape away any paint and use a spring washer to help to get a good contact to earth, I have not so far attached the EAC to anywhere but intend attaching to the side of the cabinet behind the passenger seat mid way up using strong Velcro as suggested by others,
Just a note. There is no fuse box at the rear on the California. The switch you reference to is the RCD circuit breaker for the mains 230v EHU circuit. Nothing to do with the 12v vehicle electrics.

Back