Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Routing the Cable to install a EcoFlow 800w Alternator Charger

Sorry for the confusion here, I switched off at fuse box at the rear of the van inside the cabinet (Cali Ocean) only,
I'm pretty sure that toggle circuit breaker in the rear cabinet only cuts power from the EHU supply. The leisure batteries will still be powering the electronics.

Yep sounds about right, I thought it was a good idea at the time as I’ve said novice but keen however the installation seems to have worked ok

Yep sounds about right, I thought it was a good idea at the time as I’ve said novice but keen however the installation seems to have worked ok
Don't worry I also made the same mistake thinking it was a master power breaker for the internal electronics.

Thanks everyone for the awesome responses, having removed passenger seat (2 bolts & 2 nuts) balanced seat at an angle, I have connected the EAC live to the relay, earthed -black cable to closest bolt at the base of the seat/chassis to the right of the relay, tested all good after a few problem with the EAC and EcoFlow Battery, both required firmware updating to current version, then all worked perfectly
This is my plan too. So easy to access (originally planned to tap off the rear leisure battery, but the cabinet work is so good, cable routing looked dire).

This is my plan too. So easy to access (originally planned to tap off the rear leisure battery, but the cabinet work is so good, cable routing looked dire).
The main advantage is that you'll be pulling full amperage off the alternator without the risk of the battery charging management system throttling output, which happens at the leisure battery terminals.

Question: Instead of connecting the EAC to the Leisure side of the split charge relay, what about connecting it directly to the Leisure AGM battery terminals? I have a Beach (single leisure battery under seat), and it is my intention to do this. I can set the EAC to only work if voltage > 13V (meaning the car must be running and the alternator is charing the leisure). And then, if I've parked up for a couple of days, and want to boost my Leisure AGM back up, turn on Reverse Charge feature on the EAC, and grab some power from the EcoFlow Delta back into the Leisure AGM?

Question: Instead of connecting the EAC to the Leisure side of the split charge relay, what about connecting it directly to the Leisure AGM battery terminals? I have a Beach (single leisure battery under seat), and it is my intention to do this. I can set the EAC to only work if voltage > 13V (meaning the car must be running and the alternator is charing the leisure). And then, if I've parked up for a couple of days, and want to boost my Leisure AGM back up, turn on Reverse Charge feature on the EAC, and grab some power from the EcoFlow Delta back into the Leisure AGM?
This is how I am currently using the EAC. The reasoning behind this was to be able to use all the existing sockets for my 12v electrical needs, while using the Delta 2 for anything 240v and provide a means to charge the leisure battery while parked up. Yes, it does work but I would say the downside is that you need to make sure the leisure battery is well charged before charging the Delta 2. The Delta 2 also will not charge as quickly compared to the configuration described in this thread.

This is how I am currently using the EAC. The reasoning behind this was to be able to use all the existing sockets for my 12v electrical needs, while using the Delta 2 for anything 240v and provide a means to charge the leisure battery while parked up. Yes, it does work but I would say the downside is that you need to make sure the leisure battery is well charged before charging the Delta 2. The Delta 2 also will not charge as quickly compared to the configuration described in this thread.
Awesome. Glad to confirm that's a working strategy. Did you connect to the leisure battery in the front or the back? If in the front, do you have an answer to this question by chance?

Why do you need to make sure leisure is well charged? Is that because it'll steal the alternator juice and charge itself before the EAC/EcoFlow? I've been wondering how the power flow is negotiated between the two competing needs.

And you don't get the full 800W to the EAC? That was kind of expected. Have you set a maximum, or is nature defining it?

@Euro Traveller How are you getting on tith this?
I am about to do the same , Did you leave the alternator under the passenger seat with the battery ?
Where do you have you ecoflow ? I want mine in the boot so I can hook it up to the EHU

@Euro Traveller How are you getting on tith this?
I am about to do the same , Did you leave the alternator under the passenger seat with the battery ?
Where do you have you ecoflow ? I want mine in the boot so I can hook it up to the EHU
Why not connect it up via the rear leisure battery (assuming you have), conveniently already in that area?

Back