Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running engine to lower/raise roof

I imagine that the 12 KLM’s driving per day is enough to keep your batteries topped up without need to separately charge them.. Mine stands around sometimes for weeks on end so have to charge them every month Like the manual says..
If you don't drive that much, or have the BMT, that never tops up your batteries while driving, then you better put the van on the mains from time to time to charge the leisure, and when they are full, to trickle charge the starter battery.

I have recently gone on my first trip and after hooking up and leaving with full charge to leisure batteries I had the fridge running and a long drive of 600 miles. I was surprised to see that the leisure battery indicator then read only 10%!

Is this normal or this there an issue with the batteries, as I would have expect the alternator to have put more charge in?

I have recently gone on my first trip and after hooking up and leaving with full charge to leisure batteries I had the fridge running and a long drive of 600 miles. I was surprised to see that the leisure battery indicator then read only 10%!

Is this normal or this there an issue with the batteries, as I would have expect the alternator to have put more charge in?
The % is an iffy calculation. What was the Voltage?
Did you have the G symbol in the bottom L hand corner of the Control Panel screen when engine on?

Last edited:
On a trip that long and especially that the batteries were fully charged when you left something obviously is not right. When we go away the batteries will always say 100% when we reach our destination....

Not tested to flat, but our 2008 original leisure batteries seem to still be going strong.

Not tested to flat, but our 2008 original leisure batteries seem to still be going strong.
Many Leisure Batteries appear OK, showing 100% etc: and perform OK until stressed significantly. Mine at 5 yrs old failed when asked to run fridge, lights and Parking Heater in the Norwegian Highlands. Lasted 8 hrs with voltage dropping below 11v. A cold night.
Previously no problems running for over 48hrs with fridge and Parking Heater with voltage dropping to 12.1 after that period.

I would say that your are extremely lucky to have had your batteries last for 11 years and they are still OK..Mine lasted 3 years (and they were looked after) before being replaced under warranty..Even with new batteries I have to charge them at least once a month to keep them topped up.. It does suggest that in the manual.....

Back