Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which battery powers your roof?

I'm lost in all this! I always run the engine when raising/lowering the roof. Is this still a good idea even if it's powered by the leisure battery (ie the battery is recharged as the roof pump drains it)?

I'm lost in all this! I always run the engine when raising/lowering the roof. Is this still a good idea even if it's powered by the leisure battery (ie the battery is recharged as the roof pump drains it)?
The only advantage I can see is if you are camping without Mains Electrical Hookup.

OK, question from an interested electrical numpty here. If it is the leisure batteries that power the roof, which kind of makes sense to me, why do you need to turn the ignition on before operating the roof?
The only reason you have to turn on the ignition is a safety measure , so that you cannot lower/raise the roof by accident, it assures you are aware what you are doing . Imagine kids playing with the control panel for example.

Starting the engine will power the roof via the split charge relay.
Turning the ignition key won't.

I assume the key thing is so people upstairs in bed can't lower the roof ?

When my battery was flat at the Lower Lode, SimonB suggested it was a good idea to run the engine while lowering the roof, as you aren't likely to forget to turn it off, as I forgot to turn off my ignition.

(As it happens, it wasn't left on long enough to cause the starting problem, which was probably due to my van still having its original battery after 9 years!)

When my battery was flat at the Lower Lode, SimonB suggested it was a good idea to run the engine while lowering the roof, as you aren't likely to forget to turn it off, as I forgot to turn off my ignition.

(As it happens, it wasn't left on long enough to cause the starting problem, which was probably due to my van still having its original battery after 9 years!)
You can, but you don't have to. However the Ignition has to be on.

Back