Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running engine whilst on hook up

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I don't know if this is a daft question, but here goes...

Had Cali (T6 Ocean) on drive with roof up and plugged in to EHU (fridge running). I wanted to bring the roof down and so went to start engine.

But is it ok to start engine with mains plugged in?

Decided to disconnect ehu, run engine, put down roof then reconnect ehu when engine stopped.

Bearing in mind the thread on which battery/whether to run engine when dropping the roof, I wonder if I should have just put the ignition on on dropped the roof whilst on ehu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfectly ok to run the engine whilst hooked-up.

The Leisure Battery is used to power the roof hydraulic pump and the ignition has to be on as a safety feature to avoid accidental roof closure.
The engine does not have to be running, I rarely do, but there is a body of opinion that it should be when lifting / lowering the roof.
The Handbook just states that ignition has to be on.

Thanks for the swift responses guys.

Running engine whilst on hook up is ok,

In fact it is part of my departure routine,

Clear up, lower upstairs bed, walk around the van, get in, start engine, lower roof, walk around again, then enter next destination into the sat.nav which, given the glacial speed that it starts up at, should just about be ready for a sensible conversation. Then when all is ready, walk around again, disconnect hook-up remembering to give a slight push on the hook-up flap, which if you don't means it flaps in the wind as soon as you get on a motorway, then back in the drivers seat and off again.

It might seem a lot of walk-arounds. Ask yourself, how long does it take to walk around a cali, then ask yourself how inconvenient is it to just drive off still connected on hook-up, with the roof bellows trapped, with the stuff you left out last night getting rolled over by the rear wheels......

Very thorough! I'm always conscious of leaving stuff behind by mistake too

Very thorough! I'm always conscious of leaving stuff behind by mistake too

My worst habit is forgetting to close the tailgate :(

It's not funny seeing all ones collection of shopping, bedding and rubbish bags distributed over a 200 metre long swathe behind you :oops:

Not done that one. I did drive away from a site with roof up more than once in my previous van

Lots of beeping when you turn the engine on with roof up and EHU plugged in!
I tend to unplug and store the cable and then put the roof down with the engine running, looking round a couple of times during descent and again before setting off.
One thing I keep forgetting is to click the EHU cover shut then need to stop when I see it flapping about. Must make note to self to include it in disconnection process.

My worst habit is forgetting to close the tailgate :(

I've done that too, fortunately no harm done that time. It was after a brief layby stop, so I hadn't done a walkround before setting off again.

Unless the rear window is gopping, I really can't tell from the driver's mirror whether the tailgate is open or closed. I keep meaning to put some kind of small sticker top centre of the back window so I can at least see when it is shut.

I've done that too, fortunately no harm done that time. It was after a brief layby stop, so I hadn't done a walkround before setting off again.

Unless the rear window is gopping, I really can't tell from the driver's mirror whether the tailgate is open or closed. I keep meaning to put some kind of small sticker top centre of the back window so I can at least see when it is shut.
I'm glad it's not just me.