Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge trips when the engine is running. Over voltage?

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Currently on hook up charge but I've never noticed that it charges my main battery as it can be slow to turn over after 5days plus on a campsite even when hooked up. To overcome the issue I disable the electric side door.

As a precaution I have ordered a new vehicle battery. Away for 5days on Wednesday. Will check the voltage when I get back tonight.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Good idea. I have an OBD reader.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Double *******. I now see that the battery needs to be coded to the vehicle. I suspect that this will not be possible on the OBD.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Where abouts are you? I have a vagcom device you could borrow, or many members have a VCDS cable.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I hate electrics.

Left it on hookup this afternoon. All batteries charged up including the vehicle (so why can it be sluggish to start after 5 days on hookup when using the side door in electric mode?).

Fridge worked fine. Voltage generally in the 13 when running and hit 14.5v towards the end of the 30min drive but the fridge didn't trip (fridge tripped 20x when driving the last two weekends)

Didn't see 14.6 on the Control Unit. However 14.5 was showing so I checked the voltage going into the vehicle main battery. This was reading 14.7 at tickover. This afternoon at tickover it was 12.4. Checked the battery after standing and it was reading 12.56.

My Foxwell doesn't have the BRT option. :talktothehand

It will have a 6hr run up to the Lakes on Wednesday so I can evaluate it a little more and will bring the volt meter along for the ride. I'm less nervous about not starting it after 5days on hook up now.

The only single change I have carried out is the connector to the fridge. This was hooked over the fridge condenser capillary pipe .

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Sorted. It would seem that the evaporator capillary tail and the fridge connector were too close causing it to short. Hasn't tripped since I moved the connector away.

Did spend some time reading about smart alternators as well.

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Well spotted! I would not have thought of that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Our Partners