Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust already?

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Just passed a "MOT" today and they found a non-critical issue.
Rust on control arms. The vehicle just 4 years old. Should I try to resolve it under warranty?

its normal they rust after a year

As calikev says - it is normal. If you wish, get under the van, use a light sandpaper and then some hammerite and it will be fine. I did that on my Golf. Hopefully don't have to do it on the Cali.

Just passed a "MOT" today and they found a non-critical issue.
Rust on control arms. The vehicle just 4 years old. Should I try to resolve it under warranty?
Normal. Just brush some ACF50 on. It will turn black.

ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Formula was originally developed for use in the aerospace industry. ACF-50 spray has been adopted as the go-to product for many motorbike owners and is equally useful for many other vehicles including automotive, especially classic vehicles. ACF-50 can be used virtually anywhere that corrosion is a problem.

ACF-50 is a state of the art, ultra-thin anti-corrosion & lubricating compound. ACF-50 actively penetrates through the corrosion deposits to the base of the cell where it emulsifies and encapsulates the electrolyte, lifting it away from the metal surface. ACF-50 then dispels this moisture and provides an atmospheric barrier which prevents any further moisture contact, thereby keeping the cell inactive, and helping to keep corrosion and rust at bay. The compound continues to actively penetrate and "creep" into the tightest of seams, lap joints, micro cracks and around rivet heads, dissipating the moisture, even salt water, in these corrosion prone areas.

ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Formula is an industry leading corrosion inhibitor and is best used as an anti rust spray or anti corrosion spray. For best results it's recommended to apply ACF-50 anti-corrosion formula annually.

Last edited:
If you want something more permanent and long lasting (page 31 for quick results - cleaned samples - so you can see the actual damage - top half of sample not treated , bottom half treated).

Attachments

• Rust Proof Test.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
The MOT testers now have to report any corrosion around steering and suspension. So the slightest of signs of rust will now be reported on MOT certificate as an advisory.

The manufacturers do not apply much paint in these areas, so it will corrode with time.

As others have said. Use a wire brush and some rust cure to paint over. You can then spray over with some black metal paint if it bothers you.

California's don't corrode. Not on the underside, and certainly not in the roof area!
And certainly not mine!!
You all understand!
IMG_20190624_123949.jpg

IMG_20190624_123957.jpg

Funny thing I didn't wash my Honda for 9 years underneath, mostly using hand wash which doesn't even touch it underneath. Even handbrake cable rusted. Though no other rust underneath.
Was treating California with full washing after each winter salt drive and now rust after 4 years ;D

Warranty claim result...……."Yes, it's obvious that you've been....erm….. using this vehicle".

I have had mine for less than a year and its rusty underneath already...not a quality product... as first thought.

Back