Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rusting pop top roof

A

AJDR44

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have purchased a 2016 ocean from vw parkway Leicester in April and there is rust on the roof section I believe there is a 7yr manufacturers warranty on the bodywork. Is this correct and who should we contact to get the work done under warranty etc thanks in advance.

I understood that the pop up roof panel is made of aluminium, so will not rust.

Where exactly do you have rust showing?

VW have small print detailing that the bodywork must have been inspected during the regular service process. Do you know whether this has occurred?

Take some photographs and make contact with your VW service centre. If you are a good and regular customer then they might be prepared to support your warranty claim with vw. I understand that it is for teh VW Van Centre to make a representation on your behalf to VW, so get them onside asap.

Hi AJDR44,

is the rust, rust coloured or is it bubbling paint.
the roof panel is Aluminium, the roof seal has a steel reinforcing that can rust if the roof rubber fails

where on the roof is the issue ?

can you post a photo ?

search the forum for “roof corrosion“

edit: it’s customary to post an introduction before or during a first post / question.

We have purchased a 2016 ocean from vw parkway Leicester in April and there is rust on the roof section I believe there is a 7yr manufacturers warranty on the bodywork. Is this correct and who should we contact to get the work done under warranty etc thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum and massive congratulations on your new campervan! Roof corrosion is a long standing and much talked about issue with the aluminium pop top on the California. There are thousands of posts on this forum including those linked by @clarinetbcn. It is an intimidating and depressing read but the good news is, you have an excellent campervan, the roof corrosion is aesthetic and it can be repaired under warranty. It is an acknowledged problem by VW. Before going down that depressing road. My advice is to enjoy your new campervan this summer and deal with the roof when you don’t have time to go camping later in the year. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum and massive congratulations on your new campervan! Roof corrosion is a long standing and much talked about issue with the aluminium pop top on the California. There are thousands of posts on this forum including those linked by @clarinetbcn. It is an intimidating and depressing read but the good news is, you have an excellent campervan, the roof corrosion is aesthetic and it can be repaired under warranty. It is an acknowledged problem by VW. Before going down that depressing road. My advice is to enjoy your new campervan this summer and deal with the roof when you don’t have time to go camping later in the year. Good luck!
But take photos, report the issue to your VW service manager, and save all communications.

Yes this has happened to many thousands and it’s due to galvanic corrosion. Mainly because Aluminium and steel close together is a big NoNo. It’s the steel in the rubber roof sealing strip.
My advice would be to get to a dealer straight away and at lest get the process started. If you wait till winter then you probably won’t get anything done till spring -summer next year. Depending on your local area and who will actually take the work on.

It's a min 2 year wait once you are on the list. There are only a handful of garages allowed (or willing) to carry out the work on behalf of VW which when done is carried out on a 'goodwill' basis, so you have very little comeback if the repair is not carried out properly.

See post #6

Definitely register the corrosion withe the dealer ASAP to ensure VW do not have an opportunity to decline any responsibility (I recall a clause in the T&Cs saying any faults needed to be reported immediately). Once reported you can join the rest of us in the queue!
Given past history regarding how long the repair lasts, my thoughts are, as it’s only cosmetic, the longer the wait the better!

The OP, if his details are correct, has a T6 2016.

This means that it is unlikely to be the section over the windscreen and more likely the elevating roof section. The vehicle is probably due the Service inspection, rectification and application of the clear tape Repair.

This means that it is unlikely to be the section over the windscreen and more likely the elevating roof section. The vehicle is probably due the Service inspection, rectification and application of the clear tape Repair.
I’ve been waiting about 18months for “rectification and tape”!

I’ve been waiting about 18months for “rectification and tape”!
I didn’t say it was quick. Just concerned that their was a possibility of mixed messaging as I’ve not heard of any T6 having problems with the roof section above the windscreen.

I didn’t say it was quick. Just concerned that their was a possibility of mixed messaging as I’ve not heard of any T6 having problems with the roof section above the windscreen.
As you say T6 up to January 2017 had a problem with the rubber edging around the top having steel U section to grip the rubber onto the roof. the steel cut through the rubber and paint starting the dreaded galvanic corrosion on this area.
VW cure was to fit clear tape to the roof edge prior to fitting the rubber edging from Jan. '17.

T6's prior to this were eligible for the tape to fitted by VW Dealers.

As this option wasn't taken up by the previous owner VW may or may not repair on a warranty basis. Either way the problem needs to be addressed as a matter of some urgency.
It should just mean stripping off the edging, removing any corrosion and etch priming-painting followed by tape application and a new rubber edge. (JUST)

The OP hasn’t confirmed what the issue is we are all supposing

The OP hasn’t confirmed what the issue is we are all supposing
True, but I have not seen mentioned any T6 with Windscreen cap corrosion.

@WelshGas How can you see what vehicle the OP has? I don’t seem able to.

Back