Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safes

S

Stevecadiz1234

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi I've recently bought a T5 California. I was wondering if anyone has installed a safe or secure box for keeping passport/ mobile phones etc as I windsurf and will have to leave valuables in the van. Know that nothing is 100% safe but at least it will make opportunistic theives think of giving up.

Hi I've recently bought a T5 California. I was wondering if anyone has installed a safe or secure box for keeping passport/ mobile phones etc as I windsurf and will have to leave valuables in the van. Know that nothing is 100% safe but at least it will make opportunistic theives think of giving up.
VW do a frame and lockable lid that fits in the base of the wardrobe. Some laugh at it but in fact it has to be found and it is not easy to get open without some tools and a bit of work in a very uncomfortable position.

See Part 18.

71626BA6-2CDC-424F-9698-78F77C79B49C.pngF2A67B76-AA49-4181-9A99-C4C3E90A663D.jpeg

There is an area in the wardrobe where the “Safe” is normally installed but everyone knows where it is so not really that SAFE... I recon probably the best place to place cash and passport would be under the mattress in the roof bed. The thief would need a key to get the roof up. But there are lots of nooks and crannies you could hide something but nothing is absolutely secure.

There is an area in the wardrobe where the “Safe” is normally installed but everyone knows where it is so not really that SAFE... I recon probably the best place to place cash and passport would be under the mattress in the roof bed. The thief would need a key to get the roof up. But there are lots of nooks and crannies you could hide something but nothing is absolutely secure.
Have you tried breaking into the VW safe. Not easy because of its position, even with a range of tools available. Certainly not a smash and grab job.

Have you tried breaking into the VW safe. Not easy because of its position, even with a range of tools available. Certainly not a smash and grab job.
And, if you put a well cut mat of some description on top of it and a load of other stuff, unless you have knowledge of its location, I'd be extremely surprised if any casual thief could find it, let alone, as @WelshGas says spend the time and effort to get in it.

It's hard enough to get stuff in and out of it when you know it's there and you have the key. So hard in fact we don't use it quite as often as we ought.

We fitted one of these under the drivers Captain seat in our T4. It should also work in a Cali, as there is only a small amount of wiring under the seat which might need shifting slightly; if you call them they should be able to tell you if it will fit.

Funny enough I haven’t tried to break into a VW safe. Have you? Sounds from what you say you have tried with your range of available tools...

Funny enough I haven’t tried to break into a VW safe. Have you? Sounds from what you say you have tried with your range of available tools...
Yes I have. In the end we had to drill out the lock. We couldn’t get anything sufficiently strong enough under the plate to bend it up. Took us a few hours. Might have been quicker if we cut through the side but we were trying to avoid that.

Also, we were able to move the bench seat forward, empty the boot and remove the bed board to get better access.
With Deadlocks engaged impossible to get such good access.

Last edited:
I understand these can be on spec. so factory fitted but how easy is it to retrospectively fit as I see the shop sells them and we were considering one ?

I understand these can be on spec. so factory fitted but how easy is it to retrospectively fit as I see the shop sells them and we were considering one ?
Check with the Forum Shop, but not difficult. It is riveted in place so you would need a riveting tool.

mmm, I’m sure we could do it ‘if’ we had a riveting tool, but don’t really want to go to expense of purchasing one. Will maybe ask the VW commercial who are going to be doing MOT if they would fit.
Thanks again

mmm, I’m sure we could do it ‘if’ we had a riveting tool, but don’t really want to go to expense of purchasing one. Will maybe ask the VW commercial who are going to be doing MOT if they would fit.
Thanks again
You can buy a hand pop riveter with a selection of rivets for A few quid.I bought one from Aldi a while ago for around £7.99. Does the job perfectly ok.