Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav Problems

The Pox

The Pox

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Ok I have only had the vehicle for 24 hours but the Sat Nav seems really clunky. It does not seem to accept post codes. I have an ancient Tomtom lick and stick on satnav which is sooo much easier to use and find addresses AND it has speed camera alerts that can be updated daily. Is this how it is or am I missing a trick or two?

I would say you are spot on in your review. I do not like ours and think it was a waste of money I much prefer our Garmin for holiday trips

Looks like they've not learned from the T5 , a 2500€ RNS510 in option witch is usseles .
I use a 125€ Tomtom over my RNS510 very happy with it!

Looks like they've not learned from the T5 , a 2500€ RNS510 in option witch is usseles .
I use a 125€ Tomtom over my RNS510 very happy with it!
Might be different on the continent but the RNS510 in the U.K. was about £300 or less in the U.K. if you chose the better Radio/DAB/CD/USB sound system.
Obviously compared to the very basic FM radio it might seem expensive.

I like the Sat Nav, you have to go into settings to set it up to accept post codes.

Ok I have only had the vehicle for 24 hours but the Sat Nav seems really clunky. It does not seem to accept post codes. I have an ancient Tomtom lick and stick on satnav which is sooo much easier to use and find addresses AND it has speed camera alerts that can be updated daily. Is this how it is or am I missing a trick or two?
i don’t have the system you have but apparently it does accept post codes and there are a number of users who are more than happy with it.
Many EU car makers don’t put Speed Cameras on as it is illegal in some EU countries, so they show the Speed Limits only.

I prefer the stand alone sat nav..In the Van we have a Garmin which has been designed for Motorhomes/campervans. It has all the camping sites in the Whole of Europe.... Wouldn't do without it.

I prefer the stand alone sat nav..In the Van we have a Garmin which has been designed for Motorhomes/campervans. It has all the camping sites in the Whole of Europe.... Wouldn't do without it.
Likewise.
TomTom with Lifetime Live traffic updates, Speed camera alerts, free (automatic) map updates. Cost £220

The T6 Ocean I bought was advertised with built in SatNav

Discovering it was not there, I negotiated a healthy discount and went straight out and bought the TomTom.

The TomTom has the added advantage that I can remove from vehicle and use it for walking trips too.

It is a no brainer!

Anyone had any experience of using a Camper Sat Nav system, similar to the attached? Any benefits over standard sat nav?

Yes I think we have the model prior to this one but it’s basically the same....Had it now for 4 years...At the time Aldi’s were selling them for £150...an absolute bargain...Like all sat navs it tries to take you down roads that you wouldn’t take a horse down but that’s when common sense takes over......The campsite bit of the unit is fantastic also shows Aires in France and Spain....Whatever the price its well worth the money....

I sometimes feel glad I only had the RNS315 at least it accepted post codes.

I just use Waze however, its the most reliable satnav with live data I have used. If you have carplay its worth using that instead. Its also free and updated daily so no map updates required.

We have one of them and when I get to an area I know I noticed it’s crap .
Sometimes Sends me ways that are definitely not the quickest??? according to the settings it’s set on fastest route.
In Paris last year it kept rerouting up and down the same 2 roads and roundabouts it drove me nuts.it’s got a mind of it’s own.many times I have said in frustration it’s going in the bin when we get home that piece of crap ..then the Mrs reminds me I said it was the best one you can buy when we purchased it .:(

If you are an Android smart phone user why buy anything? Just download Waze it's streets ahead (no pun intended) of the inbuilt VW version and always up to date.
I've never trusted Sat Navs 100% until I was travelling the Belgian motorway in the summer and there was an accident and delays of up to an hour reported on the gantries, Waze advised re-routing and directed me through the minor roads extremely simply and accurately much to the amazement of my wife who was following blindly in another vehicle.
The VW Sat Nav seems to only get an update at best every six months and from experience with that installed in our Highline T6 the last update is still lacking in some areas.

As for finding campsites, I use Search for Sites on the same Android phone which not only gives detail of the sites but integrates with Waze or Google Maps to navigate to the desired location.

We have one of them and when I get to an area I know I noticed it’s crap .
Sometimes Sends me ways that are definitely not the quickest??? according to the settings it’s set on fastest route.
In Paris last year it kept rerouting up and down the same 2 roads and roundabouts it drove me nuts.it’s got a mind of it’s own.many times I have said in frustration it’s going in the bin when we get home that piece of crap ..then the Mrs reminds me I said it was the best one you can buy when we purchased it .:(
What happened before SatNavs? we used a map and your initiative... Nothing stopping you doing a bit of both even with a Satnav... There is no SatNav thats perfect sometimes we just follow the compass direction if the Nav is playing up....

What happened before SatNavs? we used a map and your initiative... Nothing stopping you doing a bit of both even with a Satnav... There is no SatNav thats perfect sometimes we just follow the compass direction if the Nav is playing up....
That's exactly why I liked the old Microsoft Autoroute on a laptop. It has a proper map at almost any scale you wish, it will provide real-time navigation with the addition of a Bluetooth GPS receiver and can have any number of POI lists added. Obviously it's only useful if the driver has a navigator sat beside him/her but we've used it for years with our own database of aires & campsite added as POIs plus any others that we can download.
Such a pity Microsoft stopped supporting and updating Autoroute about six years ago but it still has its uses.

On mine, if you are in new destination, select ‘address’ and then click in the ‘city’ field... you then get a screen with ‘Ptcd.’ at the bottom... click on that and you can enter a postcode...

Yeah that’s a pretty obvious answer really and I think we all use them to some degree especially in places like Paris!!!!!
I alway use my sense of direction and a map ...that’s why I said it’s going in the bin to the wife because I listen to it give it the benefit of the doubt and then It has you going round in circles.
(and to answer your post have you driven through Paris it’s no fun with a map or sat nav

Yeah that’s a pretty obvious answer really and I think we all use them to some degree especially in places like Paris!!!!!
I alway use my sense of direction and a map ...that’s why I said it’s going in the bin to the wife because I listen to it give it the benefit of the doubt and then It has you going round in circles.
(and to answer your post have you driven through Paris it’s no fun with a map or sat nav
Ok here is my answer... I haven’t driven through Paris and I have absolutely no intentions of ever driving through Paris...Unless you were going to somewhere specific in Paris itself I would avoid it like the plague......The same with London..

Ok here is my answer... I haven’t driven through Paris and I have absolutely no intentions of ever driving through Paris...Unless you were going to somewhere specific in Paris itself I would avoid it like the plague......The same with London..
Easy Peasy both London and Paris with my RNS510 SatNav. Some reasonable and very convenient campsites in both cities.

So, if anyone is still wondering about how to use postcodes in the T6.1 system. You need to be in the screen for POI... and then input the postcode. It tells you it know nothing, until the full postcode is input... then shows the longitude and latitude for the location... and you can select route guidance.
A complete backwards step from the T6. And I will likely use my phone and carplay from now on... what a joke...

I use Teams for work & have the We Connect App synchronised with it. As long as I put in a post code in the meeting details it seems to transfer it it to We Connect & then to the van seamlessly.

It seems far easier to me to enter a postcode into Teams than try & programme the head unit in the van.

Also saves a bit of time, I won't type into the sat nav whilst driving & it seems to take a few minutes for the whole infotainment system to boot up & the sat nav to work out where it is, so doing it via the phone saves me sitting on the drive waiting for it to get started.

It will accept post codes although the method is not obvious. When searching for a destination, the word CITY comes up on the address search. Touch the word CITY (not the box next to it) and the option for postcode entry comes up.

OK thanks. I will try this however I still think the satvav is poor. Google maps seems to do it all far better...

OK thanks. I will try this however I still think the satvav is poor. Google maps seems to do it all far better...
Standard situation for any car satnav vs Android Auto in my experience. It's not just VW.

Back