Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Saucepan meltdown

Philynn

Philynn

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Final preparations taking place before we go off on our first weekend trip. The van is almost kitted out and very happy with our purchases so far. Was slightly alarmed last night when reading the thread about pots and pans and the recommendation that pans were no bigger than 16cm diameter - I'm the queen of one pot cooking and needed a good sized pan! Checked out the vw shop and found the pans in the vw shop are exactly the sam as the ones I've just bought off amazon- ballarini click and cook - at a fraction of the price! Fold down pan and lid handles (didn't want removable) - nesting - seem perfect. Takes note of the fact that I need to move the sink bowl and will be careful not to melt the fridge

We do lots of one pot cooking in the van and use a non stick frying pan (280mm) for lots of these, it has a good lid for longer cooking and keeping steam / cooking smells in, this is used on the sink side hob. We also have one pot (180 mm) which is used mainly on the fridge side hob for rice (microwave with a little water to steam) or quick cook pasta.

To protect the fridge I made up a little heat deflector which lives in the cupboard below when not in use.

P8040303.JPG

For very smellier cooking like stir frys we use a small stove outside the van.

20150713_191315.jpg

The VW basin is just too small to be useful, ours stays in the shed. Big basin lives under the sink normally with the kettle and other washing up stuff in it.

Since we got the van last March we have had 138 nights in it and not melted anything so far, so don't worry about this too much.

PS Do remember to keep the sink plug away from the cooker top when in use, almost melted that a number of times!

I went through a mega sized pan stage .... never melted anything.

I'm now going through a minimalist pan stage and it's hopeless. As above, an outdoor cooking stove is a brilliant accessory.

This guy liked our giant frying pan of saucisse, cep and morel mushrooms and onion. We had to lock our border terrier in his crate as we thought he would eat him too. We were brave and scarpered inside. He had a few friends with him herding the sheep on Ventoux.

image.jpg

Like you I also bought my pans from eBay http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RVY510C/?tag=eliteelect-21 Its only a two hob stove so no point in having three like the Brandrup set up. Also fit nicely in the plate holder on top of our four plates http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00116QY8E/?tag=eliteelect-21
But! If you want a real Ballarini bargain check out http://r.ebay.com/MLf7qn (choose the click and cook option in the drop down box)
Then look out how much Brandrup want for it http://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup-...ories/vw-camping-outdoor/cooking-dishware-vw/
We bought one and its superb, Ok the eBay listing doesn't include the lid but I have never used a lid on a frying pan so not going to miss it.. we still bought the Brandrup bag for it from SMG so it stored nicely and put the larger lid from the pan set with it.
I must point out thou I refuse to fry in the van and use a tiny portable outside when frying my bacon.

Last edited:
We do lots of one pot cooking in the van and use a non stick frying pan (280mm) for lots of these, it has a good lid for longer cooking and keeping steam / cooking smells in, this is used on the sink side hob. We also have one pot (180 mm) which is used mainly on the fridge side hob for rice (microwave with a little water to steam) or quick cook pasta.

To protect the fridge I made up a little heat deflector which lives in the cupboard below when not in use.

View attachment 9388

For very smellier cooking like stir frys we use a small stove outside the van.

View attachment 9390

The VW basin is just too small to be useful, ours stays in the shed. Big basin lives under the sink normally with the kettle and other washing up stuff in it.

Since we got the van last March we have had 138 nights in it and not melted anything so far, so don't worry about this too much.

PS Do remember to keep the sink plug away from the cooker top when in use, almost melted that a number of times!
What a backdrop on that second photo! Wow!

That really is a stunning location to camp.
Is that a 904 gas bottle on your stove ? If it is I carry one as a spare for when the 907 runs out.
No it is a screw on Coleman type cylinder that fits our 70 gram backpacking stove, this bigger size is only used for van cooking.

We use a full size blummin big normal household pan! We of course dont try to store it in the kitchen cupboard. It lives in the boot with the salad spinner stored inside it. Our appetites are just as big when we're camping!

Speaking of meltdown,
I left a gas lighter (the re fillable caravan type) on the sink after a few shandys without thinking.
i put the kettle on the hob , lit the hob and after about a minute the lighter exploded like a large firework inside the van :Nailbiting
Never been as scared in my life.
Miraculously there was no damage to me or the van , I still can't understand how to this very day.

Very lucky.

I thought the hobs light with a click of the knob. I bet you nearly had a motion from the rear end????!!!:bananadance

:D:D:D
I thought the hobs light with a click of the knob. I bet you nearly had a motion from the rear end????!!!:bananadance
Yes there's an igniter on the hob but we have a lighter for the bar-b-q etc ,
And yes the laundry bag was full that weekend

Febreeze can be useful in those situations.:bananadance