Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pots & Pans and space saving gadgets

B

BeachMouse

Having just had our Cali delivered we are now buying all the accessories ready for our trip to Spain in January. One thing we are not sure about is pots and pans. I am assuming most people just have a saucepan and a small pan? Are there any available with detachable handles? We just want to make the most of the space we have.

Also any other space saving gadgets?

Thanks

I like the idea of those folding kettles.

The problem is finding one with a whistle. The Gelert one is supposed to be rubbish so that's out.

Camping Gaz do a nice set that is non stick and stack in a canvas bag.
Wouldn't leave a kettle unattended so have the folding kettle.

Plus 1 for the tefal ingenio. 2 pans and a frying pan, nest together, detachable handles.

A wacky practicals folding kettle is a must have, really.... no cali is complete without one.

Folding glasses ... wine glasses, an essential, but ever so avant grade frosted ones here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008XK6Z6M/?tag=eliteelect-21

Folding cups ...http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MGEQKHK/?tag=eliteelect-21

Clothes: Well, technical fabrics, rinse out overnight, dry in the morning, totally non-iron, crease free and lightweight, loads of coolmax stuff but the experts are Rohan. Expensive but not in the long run. packs small and only half or a third of "normal" quantity needed.

Loodle said:
WE have the Tefal Ingenio pans
http://www.tefalingenio.co.uk/
We've used them for years - 1 small, 1 medium saucepan and 1 frying pan + 2 handles and the drainer lid. They stack and take very little space.

Another vote for the Ingenio - we found them in France where they are stocked in most super markets, but have since seen them in John Lewis. They are good quality and the fact the handle comes off makes them easy to store in the cupboards without the handles getting caught on the sliding doors.

We have a Wacky Practicals collapsible kettle - there is no whistle, but we don't leave things unattended in the van anyway and you can hear/see when it is boiling. When you give people a tour of the van - the collapsing kettle and the seats in the boot door are the most impressive features!!!!

T

Tefal stuff is silly expensive for occasional use.

We got ours in France - we got the 3 pan set which is £85 in the UK. I am sure ours was less than €50.

I think ours might be the old style - ours are blue and the bottoms look different.

Still expensive, but not quite a silly - if you are touring france take a look in the supermarkets they are quite popular over there.

T

Normal camping kettle for us and...wait for it...

...a Le Creuset to cook on :mrgreen: :lol:

We do have a folding colander though. :D

Re: Pots & Pans and space saving gadgets

Cooking's too important to skimp on pans - we've got a big un that we keep in the boot (with the salad spinner inside it). Guess we've all got different priorities [FRENCH FRIES] [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

My choice was a flight of incredible, and highly unusual, logic for me.

I only wanted what was good enough for me, my guests and my family when having a dinner party at home. Therefore, when having a big dinner party or just a big family booze up ... out of the van comes the dishes for use in the home.

Amazing logic, especially when I also reverse it and shove half my guests in Albert to sleep ...

well, only one guest, my Brother in law and when the handbrakes off and it's pointing downhill ... towards the sea ... but hey-ho.....

We use the good old trangia set. Packs small and good for 2 people.... also small kettle. Added advantage that you can use teh gas/meths burner when out of the van, either to cook fish so that the smeel doesnt get in the van or if on walking expeditions etc

Can't be considered as space saving, but a small pressure cooker is a fantastic bit of kit to have in the van.

Uses much less water and gas to cook things.

We have a Hawkins 1.5L but it is a bit on the small side for 2 people, 2L would be better I think.

dan

Whichever pan(s) you decide to purchase be careful with the position on the burner as the heat may track beneath and melt the washing up bowl or worse melt the fridge seal.
We always take the washing bowl out when the gas burners are in use, to remove the risk.

I use the "AGR" chernobyl set, fantastic piece of kit, produces steam in under 5 seconds and bumps off any enemy spies nearby as well. Nuclear toast is to d
ie for .... :crazy

Small Le Cruset pot, after many years using camping equip much better. Keeps heat no splashing , doesn't rattle or move around in cupboard, uses less gas plus you can use at home if you need to.

Haven't used these yet but am pretty impressed with how little space they take up! That's 6 different pans in this shot!

d40a969ad61c1cad5249c92d28a21ee2.jpg

5862f7d87cec56ee6955fc0465cf9982.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We just carry one pan and two pots....enough to cook a meal , no ?
Why carry more , only extra weight even if they fit in eachother like the ones above .
Don't say the are no good , but six is to many imo.
There are only two burners in a Cali...
And the additional spare to cook outside:D
Still a nice find:thumb

We just carry one pan and two pots....enough to cook a meal , no ?
Why carry more , only extra weight even if they fit in eachother like the ones above .
Don't say the are no good , but six is to many imo.
There are only two burners in a Cali...
And the additional spare to cook outside:D
Still a nice find:thumb
Oops sorry!

We have a double skillet, two (frying) pans that can be connected to form a Dutch oven. The handles detach for travelling. Chicken and potatoes cooked in there, ooh, lovely.
We also have two stainless saucepans with small round handles, so easy to pack,
We cook as far as is possible, outside, on a two ring electric hob.
Not advisable in pouring rain.
We take real glasses for wine quaffing, stored in plastic cups for travel.
Mostly Rohan clothes and as little as possible. Stored in flat zip bags mostly Eagle Creek, in the under seat drawer.

Two nesting mess tins for £15,

Quest mini oven.

Pre-frozen meals in ex-curry house tin trays cook very well in the quest mini oven whilst the mess tins can cook up an amazing assortment of side dishes on the two burners,

Nice weather then its outside with the barbie, warm bread, jacket potatoes, etc cooked in the oven or, if no hook up, lots of pasta sides rustled up to go with whatever's on the barbie in the two cheap mess tins.

Back