Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland in July

Good luck. I would not go near Scotland in July - midges - school holidays - and with staycations the norm this year I would expect it to be extra busy. All the best with your travels.
midge have just got going here in the west coast, 2/5, 5 being thick clouds, hell for locals.
I had the odd attack in our sun room with the door open this afternoon o_O

I'm off to scotland in july. Starting in Galloway forest. I have a camp booked there for 3 nights if you want the details then booked a crossing to arran for 7 nights. Initial indications suggest no problems getting camped on arran in july.

I'm off to scotland in july. Starting in Galloway forest. I have a camp booked there for 3 nights if you want the details then booked a crossing to arran for 7 nights. Initial indications suggest no problems getting camped on arran in july
Beginning of May we made our third trip to Galloway had a fab week as always, very few people about. Last September we made our second trip to Arran stayed at the campsite at Lochranza, brilliant week, excellent Covid restrictions in place, toilets & showers open with common sense practices in place, again very quiet. Stay away from the ‘hotspots’ and you can always find solitude.

05232424-15FB-491B-822A-84CB4CF1E9F9.jpeg

49B05673-405F-42AA-A7BD-7AD5835F667D.jpeg

565916C6-E1A4-4FAB-9B5E-ABC06FB89BFE.jpeg

EFCF37E9-68BB-4BDD-8782-5B6087529663.jpeg

7D750DD7-406A-40F2-B303-423FB707F95E.jpeg

6A8736E5-22D4-4ACF-BC87-DCFD8DD61A68.jpeg

B8DA4DE0-49F0-48D4-ABEA-C3DA9D395B17.jpeg

60697307-56F2-4690-81DF-3D4C3C391C61.jpeg

0210389C-33D6-46FE-B9C3-5356252D7DB0.jpeg

2001B4ED-4440-4281-8F3D-6F3A54347E6F.jpeg

just shows off the NC500 and places "featured" in the media Scotland is far from full
To be fair the car park at the Kintyre lighthouse was full to bursting - 3 cars and 4 California’s

Thanks for all valuable feedbacks
We will take the risk and come to Scotland in July
Most of our stays on campsites will only be for one or two nights and we will also use wildcamping as an option - and avoid the most popular tourist areas.
We will continue our trip to Ireland in August, where the campsite situation properly will be the same as in Scotland ?
BR Finn
I think the midges will also be there. A Scottish man told us years ago not to come in the summer because of these midges. Therefore we always go in March-April: had wonderful trips; unfortunately couldn't come last year and not again this year, hopefully back next year.
I see you will then travel further to Ireland, so it makes sense that you want to include Scotland if you are on your way to make such a beautiful big trip. The setting is wonderful + great food and drink & friendly helpful people.
Greetings

I expect that NC 500 will be crouded, but is it the case for Scotland in generally ?
Yes. many Scottish sites are fully booked, and there has been a massive increase in the number of vans parked in lay-bys and car parks. I’ve heard complaints from people living on the west coast of multiple vans parked on the machair (which is a very delicate natural habitat), and people defacating on beaches because they haven’t brought a portapotti.

I have a campsite booked for a week in June/July, but it’s a booking I made a year ago. Getting a weekend booking over the school holidays is nigh impossible right now. You might be lucky and find some spaces for a couple of nights midweek.

Yes. many Scottish sites are fully booked, and there has been a massive increase in the number of vans parked in lay-bys and car parks. I’ve heard complaints from people living on the west coast of multiple vans parked on the machair (which is a very delicate natural habitat), and people defacating on beaches because they haven’t brought a portapotti.

I have a campsite booked for a week in June/July, but it’s a booking I made a year ago. Getting a weekend booking over the school holidays is nigh impossible right now. You might be lucky and find some spaces for a couple of nights midweek.
Most of the issues we have heard about on social media and in the local paper relate to Arisaig, open toilets and still defecting on the beach near the toilets. The problem mainly being dirty campers and these all threaten the long fort for rights in the Scottish outdoor access code which is already under threat from a minority of land owners some in the west coast.

Most of the issues we have heard about on social media and in the local paper relate to Arisaig, open toilets and still defecting on the beach near the toilets. The problem mainly being dirty campers and these all threaten the long fort for rights in the Scottish outdoor access code which is already under threat from a minority of land owners some in the west coast.

Sorry - have to ask - is that the Buachaille Etive Mor reflected in your van window in your profile pic? :)