Scottish forests - legal stopovers

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Found out about this today.

The trial is only on until the end of Aug, so as not to hamper the re-emergence of the sector post lockdown. But it will inform future planning. There website states:

Until the end of August 2020, motorhomes and campervans will be allowed to park overnight at a small selection of our forest car parks. This is part of a national trial which will help us understand the practicalities of offering this visitor experience longer term.​

As the participating car parks have limited – if any – facilities, they are intended for use as informal stop overs on your longer journeys around the Scottish countryside. Spaces cannot be booked in advance and we ask that you stay for only one night at a time (not returning for 48 hours).​

This trial is open to self-contained vehicles only. We are unable to allow camping and overnight parking of cars at our car parks.​

Found out about this today.

The trial is only on until the end of Aug, so as not to hamper the re-emergence of the sector post lockdown. But it will inform future planning. There website states:

Until the end of August 2020, motorhomes and campervans will be allowed to park overnight at a small selection of our forest car parks. This is part of a national trial which will help us understand the practicalities of offering this visitor experience longer term.​

As the participating car parks have limited – if any – facilities, they are intended for use as informal stop overs on your longer journeys around the Scottish countryside. Spaces cannot be booked in advance and we ask that you stay for only one night at a time (not returning for 48 hours).​

This trial is open to self-contained vehicles only. We are unable to allow camping and overnight parking of cars at our car parks.​

Somebody has beaten you to it!

Somebody has beaten you to it!

Hi V.
Don't know how I missed that (#85) as I've been following that thread. Must have got all excited when I saw something proactive and positive.
Hopefully some people who wouldn't have opened that thread will see it. :thumb

Hi V.
Don't know how I missed that (#85) as I've been following that thread. Must have got all excited when I saw something proactive and positive.
Hopefully some people who wouldn't have opened that thread will see it. :thumb
There’s no way I’m going to read a thread with that title. Thanks for the heads-up about Scottish Forest overnight stops.

There’s no way I’m going to read a thread with that title. Thanks for the heads-up about Scottish Forest overnight stops.
Shame it's not extending in to the autumn at least. I think many people would have liked the opportunity when the schools go back, but I suppose the demand on other providers in the sector will reduce and they can hopefully benefit from the non-school holiday reliant campers and pick up.

It will be interesting to see if campsite prices remain high and the anti-stopover movements change their thinking.

We tried to use their permit scheme trial on our trip a few years ago. Sadly there was no internet at any of the sites and the website never seemed to work when we did have internet (whilst on the road).

I hope they've improved things since then, because we gave up after a couple days of failing to get a booking and went elsewhere.

We tried to use their permit scheme trial on our trip a few years ago. Sadly there was no internet at any of the sites and the website never seemed to work when we did have internet (whilst on the road).

I hope they've improved things since then, because we gave up after a couple days of failing to get a booking and went elsewhere.
Wouldn't the website also check if your vehicle was likely to be self contained?

I think this has been much more successful, Matt, but unfortunately just a Covid stopgap. Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to participate in it. Hopefully their trial has shown this is a great idea and can run alongside other services in the sector.

They have closed the scheme which was very successful, only due to complaints from commercial campsite operators apparently.
Eventually people will realise that trying to force people to use campsites by closing off all other places results in problems.

They have closed the scheme which was very successful, only due to complaints from commercial campsite operators apparently.
Eventually people will realise that trying to force people to use campsites by closing off all other places results in problems.
Campsites are fully booked and offering limited facilities, there is no sense in this decision.

Campsites are fully booked and offering limited facilities, there is no sense in this decision.
There is no sense in trying to ban wild-camping. It’s largely driven by vested interests and and or ignorance.

Shame it's not extending in to the autumn at least. I think many people would have liked the opportunity when the schools go back, but I suppose the demand on other providers in the sector will reduce and they can hopefully benefit from the non-school holiday reliant campers and pick up.

It will be interesting to see if campsite prices remain high and the anti-stopover movements change their thinking.

It was myself that posted it on the other thread. At the time it did say it was lasting for the the rest of 2020. But reading their latest update not wanting to impact the campsite sector you can understand it. But I think it will come back again and hopefully as a permanent fixture

Not sure if you have seen this
He makes valid points. As these actions start to negatively impact those who choose to use campsites we may see support for wild camping grow.

I don’t think they’re trying to force people on to campsites, I think it’s more of “you can’t come up here, trash our beautiful places then bugger off and leave us to clear up after you“. It seems to me that if the trial provided valuable space when everywhere else was no-go or chocker and allowed a breathing space in which they could take stock and evaluate the whole situation, it will have been worth it.

I don’t think they’re trying to force people on to campsites, I think it’s more of “you can’t come up here, trash our beautiful places then bugger off and leave us to clear up after you“. It seems to me that if the trial provided valuable space when everywhere else was no-go or chocker and allowed a breathing space in which they could take stock and evaluate the whole situation, it will have been worth it.
As it was the campsites who objected to this scheme, they are clearly trying to force people to use them for commercial reasons only.
Perhaps some people are just not suited to living in popular tourist areas.

As it was the campsites who objected to this scheme, they are clearly trying to force people to use them for commercial reasons only.
Perhaps some people are just not suited to living in popular tourist areas.
These times are really weird and there’s lots of people and businesses fighting to survive. I can understand all sides in this. Everyone’s between their own rock and hard place.

Campsites are one of the industries experiencing significantly increased demand. I find it difficult to think of any other reason for them to object to this scheme other than greed.
The constant objections to motorhomes and campervans are nothing but damaging to local businesses.

Campsites are one of the industries experiencing significantly increased demand. I find it difficult to think of any other reason for them to object to this scheme other than greed.
The constant objections to motorhomes and campervans are nothing but damaging to local businesses.
But they know this isn’t sustainable. Many of these “campers” will be off to the sun on their all inclusives as soon as they can.

I can see all sides and worry about what we’ll be left with in the end. I’m a strong believer in off grid and choice.

So they complain about wild camping, yet when an alternative option presents itself they close it down as the boom in demand they are experiencing may be short term. Are they a cartel? Isn’t this an anti competitive business practice at the consumers expense?
The efforts they are going to to make people feel unwelcome will be more damaging to their self interests in the long term.

So they complain about wild camping, yet when an alternative option presents itself they close it down as the boom in demand they are experiencing may be short term. Are they a cartel? Isn’t this an anti competitive business practice at the consumers expense?
The efforts they are going to to make people feel unwelcome will be more damaging to their self interests in the long term.
In the video the guy says he was quoted £42 for a night on a campsite with no facilities in a Campervan. I stayed in a premier inn with air conditioning for under £50 last week.
Good luck to them if they think that is sustainable.

Wild camping used to be mainly fine , exceptions as always but having witnessed it first hand the behaviour of campers - tents and vans has been bloody awful. I’ve again, today, dug a pit at a popular spot - last night there were 5 vans there none with any toilet facilities. I’m not Miss Marple but the amount today fresh shite and big roll would suggest they had simply crapped and expected someone else to pick it up. Oh and 2 of those vans were calis - nice grey 4motion with 20” wheels and a 20 plate 2 tone one. Now, I’m sure they had toilets Pisses me off

Back