Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scottish forests - legal stopovers

Not sure if you have seen this
... and this is exactly the reason myself and many others go to continental europe each year, where they have a ‘common sense’ approach to considerate campers.
Once this pandemic subsides (and it will) then uk campsites will be looking for business and people venture further afield... don’t expect business from me i’m afraid.. if enough people voted with their feet, then this is the only way things will change.

... and this is exactly the reason myself and many others go to continental europe each year, where they have a ‘common sense’ approach to considerate campers.
3.13 mins
the tax paying public.....

Payed any tax in Continental Europe lately have you?

I am Scottish born but live in England. I have many happy memories of wild camping in Scotland in a tent. Wild camping to me means camping in a “wild” and remote spot far away from roads and being mindful to pitch up in the early evening and decamp in the morning ensuring to leave no trace of my presence.
Sorry but parking up in a lay-by, emptying Porta pots on the verge along side of the road with the rest of the rubbish left by the previous wild campers is sadly the norm for many vehicle based “Wild Campers”. This is what people are not happy about and I don’t blame them. I’m aware that there are many who are responsible and are unfairly tarnished by the actions of these morons.

3.13 mins
the tax paying public.....

Payed any tax in Continental Europe lately have you?

Plenty of VAT. The fuel isn’t tax free either. Many other countries recognise that we add value and provide the infrastructure to male us feel welcome.

I am Scottish born but live in England. I have many happy memories of wild camping in Scotland in a tent. Wild camping to me means camping in a “wild” and remote spot far away from roads and being mindful to pitch up in the early evening and decamp in the morning ensuring to leave no trace of my presence.
Sorry but parking up in a lay-by, emptying Porta pots on the verge along side of the road with the rest of the rubbish left by the previous wild campers is sadly the norm for many vehicle based “Wild Campers”. This is what people are not happy about and I don’t blame them. I’m aware that there are many who are responsible and are unfairly tarnished by the actions of these morons.
If local people can’t be bothered to make any effort at all to differentiate between the morons and the responsible, or provide any facilities, then I’m not interested in their opinion as it doesn’t matter how anybody behaves, we are all treated in the same way anyway. Best to just ignore them and their signs.

Once this pandemic subsides (and it will) then uk campsites will be looking for business and people venture further afield... don’t expect business from me i’m afraid.. if enough people voted with their feet, then this is the only way things will change.
Yes posted before.
They did suspend the trial after this but after some thought reInstated it again. The UK is a very small place with it’s roots in a rich landowner feudal system. Since the industrial revolution there’s also been a weird disassociation with countryside and coast.

Personally I think it’s worth the struggle to find a way forward for off grid that’s conducive to the campervanners, environment and locals. If everyone just legs it to the continent and gives up trying to find a solution here, we’ll never get one.

If local people can’t be bothered to make any effort at all to differentiate between the morons and the responsible, or provide any facilities, then I’m not interested in their opinion as it doesn’t matter how anybody behaves, we are all treated in the same way anyway. Best to just ignore them and their signs.
We’ll never find a positive, sustainable and enduring way forward for the future taking that stance.

Our communities welcome tourists who are appreciative of the countryside (most privately owned as it happens) but when the level of traffic exceeds road network and accommodation capacity then there is concern. Why some follow the NC500 like sheep and are happy to be endure the crowding seems strange when there is so much more to the country. Most grief is caused by inconsiderate persons such as the campervanners during lockdown who tried to buy up the local shops entire pasta stock! No, the only way to get back to a peaceful existence is by showing respect and consideration rather then being arrogant and demanding. Highlanders are friendly but not when crossed. A smile costs nothing and consideration by all parties is the best approach.

Our communities welcome tourists who are appreciative of the countryside (most privately owned as it happens) but when the level of traffic exceeds road network and accommodation capacity then there is concern. Why some follow the NC500 like sheep and are happy to be endure the crowding seems strange when there is so much more to the country. Most grief is caused by inconsiderate persons such as the campervanners during lockdown who tried to buy up the local shops entire pasta stock! No, the only way to get back to a peaceful existence is by showing respect and consideration rather then being arrogant and demanding. Highlanders are friendly but not when crossed. A smile costs nothing and consideration by all parties is the best approach.
Those who show respect and consideration are currently subject to the same bans and incessant moaning as everybody else. Improve the infrastructure, increase the accommodation capacity, promote other areas with facilities. Otherwise learn to live with it.

Those who show respect and consideration are currently subject to the same bans and incessant moaning as everybody else. Improve the infrastructure, increase the accommodation capacity, promote other areas with facilities. Otherwise learn to live with it.
Such a selfish response! All for a couple of weeks holiday. The type of visitor we don’t want.

Such a selfish response! All for a couple of weeks holiday. The type of visitor we don’t want.
The arrogance that these communities think it’s up to them to decide where people can and cannot go in their own country is staggering. Who cares who you don’t want coming when you make no effort to accommodate people regardless of how responsible they are. Keep moaning and do nothing to improve the situation.

I may be wrong but I don’t suppose local people outside of the camping fraternity spend much time differentiating between the good and the bad, or pontificate over wether they should provide more facilities. All they can see is the mess that’s been left behind again. They are also likely to be wound up by ignorant people who ignore them and their signs.

I may be wrong but I don’t suppose local people outside of the camping fraternity spend much time differentiating between the good and the bad, or pontificate over wether they should provide more facilities. All they can see is the mess that’s been left behind again. They are also likely to be wound up by ignorant people who ignore them and their signs.
The same abuse of the environment happens on the beach. Nobody is proposing to ban all sun bathers because a minority don’t know how to behave.
Providing facilities would be a mutually beneficial approach. Blanket bans are a selfish and unsustainable approach.
With so may blanket bans being imposed, based on other people’s behaviour, why should anyone responsible take any notice of them. The reason they were introduced has nothing to do with my behaviour. If these communities provided alternative places to park up, then I would respect that. They don’t do this, they just move the problem elsewhere and moan a lot.

These small communities have been living quietly for generations and have not relied on huge numbers of tourists turning up on their doorstep. To suggest that these people move if they aren’t happy with tourists turning up and demanding facilities is disrespectful. I have a friend who lives on the island of Colonsay who hasn’t left her home due to Covid restrictions and now due to tourists. The island is packed with people who do not social distance. She even struggles to park to buy food due to the influx of traffic and campervans parked in local car parks. I would be ashamed to be responsible for making these folks lives difficult. Yes, head off the beaten track but do not impact on people who did not and do not want you there. It’s not personal, they just want to live their lives as they always have, peacefully.

These small communities have been living quietly for generations and have not relied on huge numbers of tourists turning up on their doorstep. To suggest that these people move if they aren’t happy with tourists turning up and demanding facilities is disrespectful. I have a friend who lives on the island of Colonsay who hasn’t left her home due to Covid restrictions and now due to tourists. The island is packed with people who do not social distance. She even struggles to park to buy food due to the influx of traffic and campervans parked in local car parks. I would be ashamed to be responsible for making these folks lives difficult. Yes, head off the beaten track but do not impact on people who did not and do not want you there. It’s not personal, they just want to live their lives as they always have, peacefully.
These communities need to recognise the reality of the situation. Trying to stop the tidal wave by banning everybody regardless of how respectful they are is not sustainable, and equally disrespectful to those who have done nothing wrong. Providing facilities would alleviate the problems and benefit everyone. It would be a positive solution as opposed to the constant bans and endless moaning which are widespread at present. If these communities don’t want to help themselves then they will have to learn to live with the consequences, or leave. It’s not personal it’s the reality of the situation. Long term solutions are needed, not barricades.
There are people not social distancing and dropping litter everywhere.

Yes posted before.
They did suspend the trial after this but after some thought reInstated it again. The UK is a very small place with it’s roots in a rich landowner feudal system. Since the industrial revolution there’s also been a weird disassociation with countryside and coast.

Personally I think it’s worth the struggle to find a way forward for off grid that’s conducive to the campervanners, environment and locals. If everyone just legs it to the continent and gives up trying to find a solution here, we’ll never get one.
I think in addition, there are strict laws in the UK which arose from the 80’s when organisations like CND would carryout ‘camp-out’ protests. The government at the time introduced laws which wouldmake it ilegal to wildcamp or camp in a place which is not a registered campsite.
i believe that because of our nature, as british, we no longer ‘do protests’ it is seen by many as unbecoming of our nature. We would rather write letters to our MP’s and lobby local authorities to demand change. The issue here is that this process takes years. I am happy to (and have) written to myMP, however whilst i hang around for 20 years for anything to eventually change, in the meantime, i personally will be taking my holidays abroad..

Well said

It’s part of the United Kingdom, which makes it my country.
Scotland is a nation on it's own right within the UK. Hence why it has an entirely separate legal system, which has given far greater freedom to roam our land than you have in England. Please respect that.

We are living through a Public Health situation, which falls under Scotland's devolved governance. Please respect that up here we diverged from the UK approach because it was not working, and we are striving toward zero COVID, something your government might wish to try.

This link may provide some insight for anyone that cares to put public health before their own narrow self interest.

So please stop with your exceptionalism. It is not becoming. And on the matters relating to this thread, Scotland is a separate country to England. Scotland's communities are not yours to dictate to.

Last edited:
Back