Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scratch/dent repair

L

lth

Opened the tailgate with bike on rear rack and the handlebar put a couple of grooves in the roof.
Ouch!
Anyway, I wondered if anyone in the North Yorkshire area could recommend a repairer that they have used.
main dealer a bit expensive.
Thanks
LTH

Can't help you with the repair. But how did it happen was it your fault or is it a design fault?

My fault,
Not supposed to lift tailgate with bikes on and roof up.
Daft thing is I have done it twice. Both times when wild camping for overnight stop.
I find that there are so many things you have to be careful about when using the cali my head explodes!

I will only carry 1 bike the rest of the family aren't bothered. What position on the bike rack do you recommend?
Or does it not matter. ie nearest the van or at the back furthest away from the tailgate.

I have scratch on the roof when loading the kayak on, luckily I can only see it when looking out one of the upstairs windows so I have left it for now !

I noticed a dent in the back of my roof this weekend, not sure how I did it but not happy :(

Calikev said:
I will only carry 1 bike the rest of the family aren't bothered. What position on the bike rack do you recommend?
Or does it not matter. ie nearest the van or at the back furthest away from the tailgate.

Hi Kev, I have the VW bike carrier and only carry one bike. I use the 3rd (from tailgate) bike carrier. With a mountain bike I turn the bike handlebars 90% to run parallel to the frame. The bike can be left on when opening the tailgate with the roof up. With a road bike (drop bars) I use the same rack position but no need to change the handlebars. This is also the rack position with the locking device which combined with a decent bike lock hopefully acts as some deterrent to would be thieves.

Thanks for that Ian very helpfull could save a lot of hassle :thumb :thumb :thumb

Join the club, I have a little crease in the side of my roof from when i lowered it and had inadvertantly left a paperback on the handy little ledge that is exposed above the wardrobe when the roof is up. :doh So many things to think about on packing up. The alarm came on the display telling me the roof was not fully closed before driving away but by then the damage was done.

Hi surforswim - please feel free to say "Hi" to the gang in the Introductions area. We have got a few surfers on board already <pun intended> :mrgreen: .

We may even need a special section adding for coastal pursuits.

:welcome

Back