Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SE Downstairs Bed - which way do you sleep

Which way round do you sleep in your SE downstairs bed?

• Head to front

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Head to rear

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Or maybe you and your partner sleep top to toe?

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm wondering which way round SE owners sleep in the downstairs bed?

We started off with heads to rear and suffered from backache, but found it was a lot more comfortable if we slept the other way round.

We sleep either way round depends on which way the van is sloping preference is heads to the rear if we are downstairs.

Head to rear for me, I like to dangle my feet over the end of the materess :)
Also I feel more comfortable haveing an easier view of the front when sitting up

Head to rear. Don't like the pillow falling off.

We sleep either way round depends on which way the van is sloping preference is heads to the rear if we are downstairs.

You position the cali according to preference, not your head!

Goodness, just what would the butler think

My head is to rear.

My loo is to front, sandwiched between passenger seat and end of lower bed.

The gymnastics, in moments of geriatric bladder weakness, of hauling myself up, swivelling around, standing ever so elegantly before sitting is now beyond me. Now its slide forward, slide to port, settling not quite so elegantly, before reversing process is all I can manage.

I am also an unstoppable toe-wiggler. Hanging my toes and wiggling them over an edge is essential. Reverse it and I will raise the rear blind and expose my toes in all their beauty.

My head is to rear.

The gymnastics, in moments of geriatric bladder weakness, of hauling myself up, swivelling around, standing ever so elegantly before sitting is now beyond me. Now its slide forward, slide to port, settling not quite so elegantly, before reversing process is all I can manage.

I am also an unstoppable toe-wiggler. Hanging my toes and wiggling them over an edge is essential. Reverse it and I will raise the rear blind and expose my toes in all their beauty.

You paint a vivid picture Jen!

I think for people of average size like me a 6' 6" bed is a luxury in such a small space; our last coach built had a significantly shorter bed.

Cutting a few inches off the length would make things easier for nocturnal loo visits etc; and in fact I have been looking into replacing the rear bed section with a DIY replacement of smaller dimensions. I have also considered sliding the whole bed forward up to the front seats and having the space at the rear end of the van. But that's another thread!

Colin

turn the seats around and push them as far forward as it gets.

Saves rebuilding the van.

Not sure about the title for this post. Doesn't matter if it's an SE or a Beach which way round you sleep. So hijacking the thread I've answered, same reasoning as most other responses. You lose your pillows if you don't sleep with your head at the back and I'm also afflicted by the need to have my toes over the bottom edge. Is this some weird psychological thing about Cali owners?

Of course as a Beach owner I should mention that you have all the room to spread out downstairs without one of you having to be on your side and that trip outside in the night is a lot less disturbing for your partner due to the space. :bananadance. Yeah! An excuse for a dancing banana! :thumb

My head is to rear.

Nothing personal Jen and you wasn't to know but this will teach me to read these posts while eating my suger

Not sure about the title for this post. Doesn't matter if it's an SE or a Beach which way round you sleep
Only that, as you say, there is a lot more room in the Beach and it may not have the hard ridge where the seat meets the rear bed section. Or does it?

Colin

Interesting point motacyclist! There is probably a difference between the seats in the 2 seat Beach and the SE. Doesn't the SE have slidy up and down headrests that are sort of part of the seat? In the Beach the headrests are the type that are on poles and fasten on the top edge of the seat, so you have to take!e them off to lower the backrest.

Apologies therefore for assuming that they were exactly the same.

Mind you most people seem to make their preferences depending on pillows and toes not ridges :cool:

And I reckon most people have suitably disguised any ridges and bumps with comfort mattresses, toppers etc. You only put up with a bad nights sleep once!

The SE headrests fold backwards into a recess on the back of the seat.

The 'parcel shelf' can be slightly raised so it means the head area is tilted to give a more comfortable sleeping experience!!!!!

Head to front in our case. In summer the sliding door is opened during the night and it is nice to breath the fresh air or watch the stars or the sea in the morning. There is also a safety reason for sleeping this way.

Head to front if it's us downstairs.

Head to rear if it's the kids. Then we have some space to finish off domestics in the evening with fewer contributions from "they who are supposed to be asleep". Also means that in the morning if one (usually the son) needs to continue sleeping, then we can slide him into the boot and put the rear seat back up. Then he becomes the caged lion.

Back