Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SE roof rack... What weight?

Matthew Mills

Matthew Mills

Living the dream...
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
So I've seen pictures of a Cali with a roof rack fitted with a canoe strapped on and the roof up...

So can this be done and what weight? I tried to find it in the manual but could not...

I have Thule black aero bars to fit and a couple of surf boards to carry... Long one (mine) short one (my son's)

Thanks in advance for all your help yet again...

Matt

Last edited:
I think 50Kg would be no stress for the hidraulic/ eletric lifters. Also having the same questions because i carry 2 stand up paddle and 2 surfboards

I think 50Kg would be no stress for the hidraulic/ eletric lifters. Also having the same questions because i carry 2 stand up paddle and 2 surfboards

That's very helpful... have you actually had that lot on the roof and put it up?

Hep. I think the worst part is when it comes back down, and so I helped with my arm to slowly drift back down.

Hep. I think the worst part is when it comes back down, and so I helped with my arm to slowly drift back down.

I have put several surfs boards on... one small and one for me - long board and the roof appeared to not even strain - up or down... That will be c. 40kgs with the bags etc.

Think the roof may carry 100kg
Opening the roof only with 50kg

The manual states that the roof can carry 50 kg – all inclusive. I just went thru that, because I needed room for my surf equipment. I just managed to get around the 50 kg. with roof racks, Thulebox and my kites and boards … besides I bought a collapsible alu latter, and modified it, so it fits perfect in the drawer under the bank – otherwise it can be quite a struggle to get stuff in and out from the box.

My understanding from the manual. 50kg total load on lifting roof, spread evenly. No mention of what weight the roof max load when raised.

My understanding from the manual. 50kg total load on lifting roof, spread evenly. No mention of what weight the roof max load when raised.
I have read my manual the same way you have ArunAlec at no point does it mention being able to lift the roof with the 50kgs extra weight on it. I won't be lifting mine up with my Kayak on as its rather long so won't be a concern for me.