Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea Kayak with VW bike rack

L

logyk

VIP Member
Does anyone have experience of loading a sea kayak (16/17ft) onto the roof whilst a VW bike rack is fitted ?

I am beginning to think I have made a mistake ordering the VW bike rack and that I would be better off using a towbar fitted Altera rack.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi. I use the Karitek rack on my Cali. It's side loading and I have had up to 3 sea kayaks on the roof no problem.

Like you, I wasn't sure about using the vw bike rack with the sea kayaks on the roof. It might be ok but I wasn't sure as I thought the height if the bikes may interfere with getting the boats up. Sorry I can't help. I opted for the maxxraxx bike rack which is toward mounted, really simple and I would highly recommend. I hope the vw rack fits for you though.
Paul

We have a Kari-tek side loading kayak rack (excellent) on which we put P&H Quests (2 off). We have a tow ball mounted Altera Strada DL bike rack on which we routinely put four bikes. The system works really well, although we do look rather 'overloaded' with 'all the toys'. No problems with any of this kit - all really well designed and functional.

I have a vw rack and Karitek for my Nordkapp. The bikes fit on fine with the sea kayak as they are clear of the boat. I've just been through France with my surf ski on the roof and 4 bikes loaded so plenty of clearance room.

I have however always removed the bikes and do not raise the roof when loaded just to be on the safe side. So not able to confirm loading with the bikes in situ. I've a photo somewhere I will try and find and post.

How about a Cali sea kayak symposium?

Yep i'm also a member of the Karitek and Altera club makes loading the kayak so simple. Symposium idea sounds good.
I'm based in N Pembrokeshire and get out most weeks year round, if anyone is down this way and wants to paddle in local company just shout.

No probs loading a 16ft Canadian Canoe with the VW Bike rack in place.
Seb

Anyone got any pics with bike rack loaded with bikes and paddle boards/kayaks on the roof?

I can't see how you get the clearance of the bikes?

Cheers

Not with bikes. But there is plenty of clearance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1381663567533.jpg