Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat Upgrade

P

paullunaelsie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello all just wondering if anyone can help.
We are looking to do something with our seats.
We are undecided on which way to go - whether we buys second skin seats covers or have the seats completely re-upholstered in leather.
Second skin seat covers look good buy we are wondering how hard they are to fit? Can they be taken off and washed and re-fitted?
Leather looks even better - is more expensive - but unsure if this would affect re-sale price of our van if we were to ever sell?
Our van is a 2017 plate Ocean.
Thanks

:welcome

Is that your post code In your public profile pic ? Maybe an idea to change it.

I have a full leather retrim and love it , I had it done For me to enjoy / use, not in case of resale if the van

you will get several opinion from the forum, in the end its your van you do what you want to do and enjoy it whilst you own it, if leather retrim is appealing to you then it surely will appeal to others ?

I’ll post some previous threads to assist and get you going with your search Use tge search function top right (spyglass) to search the forum.

hope that helps get you started

Last edited:
Mine is in to DK Schweizer in 2 weeks, also upgrading the rear of the front seats to be a little more supportive. GTi like which is what they can offer.

Mine is in to DK Schweizer in 2 weeks, also upgrading the rear of the front seats to be a little more supportive. GTi like which is what they can offer.
Look forward to seeing that when done!

You will not be disappointed I had my cali done there. Excellent service excellent quality.

You will not be disappointed I had my cali done there. Excellent service excellent quality.
Hi Rob actually went up and had a look at the place and talked to the guys so know what to expect.

Hi Rob actually went up and had a look at the place and talked to the guys so know what to expect.
Had mine done at DK, spot on.

looking forward to seeing the photos

Thanks for all of the replies.
Have decided to go with the leather. Currently talking to Matt at DK Schweizer to agree on spec and price.
Would be interested in seeing any photos anyone has of their leather seats.
Thanks

These are mine done last April by them:

Overall I am very pleased with the result and costs, though there were two issues at DK Schweizer which I might mention. First is this clip feintly circled in red:

:

1706781376157.jpeg
which I wrote to Rob at DK Schweitzer about as follows:

"
For the record .... I believe the cause of the airbag fault is that after the retrim, DK Schweitzer put the seats back with the black cable-tied clips (see photo) attached to the frame of the chair, restricting cable movement, when they should have been left loose. I have checked two other almost new T6.1 California Oceans, and in both cases the clips are left hanging. I would be interested to hear if the next California’s (with rotating seats) you retrim have ‘hanging’ clips.

I think those clips were intended only to hold the cables in place in the VW factory, until final assembly. I can understand why a conscientious technician would want to re-attach them, that was my own impulse too when I found them loose. If my conclusion is correct, then the clips would best be removed."

The second point is the trim around the rear headrests, the latter which I like to leave folded down for rear visibility unless I have rear passangers. The trim around the 'U' posts was poor:

1706781848804.png

but because I had a leather sample from them, I was able to make my own post-trim at home:

1706781988770.png
DK Schweizer said they were going to correct the issue in future, but you might just check this if you ever like to drop the headrests.

Last edited:

These are mine done last April by them:

Overall I am very pleased with the result and costs, though there were two issues at DK Schweizer which I might mention. First is this clip feintly circled in red:

:

View attachment 118646
which I wrote to Rob at DK Schweitzer about as follows:

"
For the record .... I believe the cause of the airbag fault is that after the retrim, DK Schweitzer put the seats back with the black cable-tied clips (see photo) attached to the frame of the chair, restricting cable movement, when they should have been left loose. I have checked two other almost new T6.1 California Oceans, and in both cases the clips are left hanging. I would be interested to hear if the next California’s (with rotating seats) you retrim have ‘hanging’ clips.

I think those clips were intended only to hold the cables in place in the VW factory, until final assembly. I can understand why a conscientious technician would want to re-attach them, that was my own impulse too when I found them loose. If my conclusion is correct, then the clips would best be removed."

The second point is the trim around the rear headrests, the latter which I like to leave folded down for rear visibility unless I have rear passangers. The trim around the 'U' posts was poor:

View attachment 118648

but because I had a leather sample from them, I was able to make my own post-trim at home:

View attachment 118649
DK Schweizer said they were going to correct the issue in future, but you might just check this if you ever like to drop the headrests.
I thought i would share a few images of my seats ive saved over the months.
I didnt have any problems at all. If i remember correctly DK Schweizer give a warranty so if anyone had a problem im quite sure they would sort it out.

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_2107 - Copy.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_3099.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3100.jpg

I didnt have any problems at all. If i remember correctly DK Schweizer give a warranty so if anyone had a problem im quite sure they would sort it out.

View attachment 118650

View attachment 118651

View attachment 118652

View attachment 118653

View attachment 118654

View attachment 118655

View attachment 118656

View attachment 118657
Thanks Rob very reassuring to see a great standard of finish and also the warrant, which I didn’t even think about.
Your not an ex boater by any chance?

Will

There’s a company on here that will fit seat covers for not very much. If it’s about looks go for high quality, I.e.: pay’s your money makes your choice. Quality = £

Thanks Rob very reassuring to see a great standard of finish and also the warrant, which I didn’t even think about.
Your not an ex boater by any chance?

Will
No. You must be referring to the crockery. They just happen to go with the colour of the van. I like things to flow. Having leather fitted to my van was one of the first things I decided to do before I got the van. The standard seat covers I hated from the start the upgrade velour I just couldn’t part with my money they wasn’t much better than the standard ones. Personally i think the leather in my vans brings it to the level an £80,000 camper should be.

No. You must be referring to the crockery. They just happen to go with the colour of the van. I like things to flow. Having leather fitted to my van was one of the first things I decided to do before I got the van. The standard seat covers I hated from the start the upgrade velour I just couldn’t part with my money they wasn’t much better than the standard ones. Personally i think the leather in my vans brings it to the level an £80,000 camper should be.
I was. You should try living with the GC upholstery, it’s really crap, so I went for leather.

Rob,
Your seats are awesome, just what we were looking for.
Do you have the codes of the swatches that your seats are made from?
If you contact DK they will send you a bunch of leather swatches

Rob,
Your seats are awesome, just what we were looking for.
Do you have the codes of the swatches that your seats are made from?
i dont im sorry to say.but DK will know exactly what you will need. Im not really one for bigging up companys or leaving reviews but i had such a great experience with them i feel the need to share my findings with my fellow Transporter owners.

One of the staff at DK Schweizer explained something interesting. Traditionally leather car seats have layout 'panels' like this:

1707032923741.jpeg

And this is intended to disguise ‘cheek dents’ (although I think he may have used a slightly more colloquial expression). Over time the alternative ‘modern’ design of larger, in particular side to side (rather than front to back), stitched panels of leather tend to mirror more, and emphasise, the shape of what sits on them. The fine cross stitching (sometimes diagonal) used in some leather seats, including newer Bentleys, does disguise these ‘stretched hollows’ to some extent but the most effective long term design for maintaining appearances could still be as above.

Last edited:

View attachment 118650

View attachment 118651

View attachment 118652

View attachment 118653

View attachment 118654

View attachment 118655

View attachment 118656

View attachment 118657
Some of the nicest I’ve seen fair play. Are you allowed to tell me how much?

Some of the nicest I’ve seen fair play. Are you allowed to tell me how much?
Yes of cause. If I remember correctly I paid about £1,800 off the top of my head. I have the 5th seat and I think that was about £300 extra.

Yes of cause. If I remember correctly I paid about £1,800 off the top of my head. I have the 5th seat and I think that was about £300 extra.
That is great value compared to the VW pleather. Looks so much better and more comfortable.

Back