Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Security on driveway

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Im going away for a couple of months and having to leave my Cali on my driveway. Im wanting advice upon security in respect that I was thinking of buying a steering lock to deter thieves
Apart from the visual deterrent are these pieces of kit any good. Ie can they be removed by thief ?
Any recommendations or should i just remove one of the wheels lol
Thanks
Martyn

There are lots of comments on here about security (steering lock, trackers, turning the seats), I also used to leave all the blinds closed with the iso thermal insulation... (my neighbours kids thought the silver screen was hysterical)...
Removing a wheel sounds quite severe - but as others have said, if they want it they will take it anyway...

Nest camera & Ghost II

Removing the starter battery would make it a bit tricky to nick.
Even easier, fit one of these, a few minutes work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CK7W3Z/?tag=eliteelect-21

I fitted one of these to my T4 and also used it on campsites to preserve the charge in the van’s battery as sometimes the kids may leave the wrong internal lights in and this would result in needing a jump start at the end of the week!

For insurance purposes you would need to keep main battery connected in order for alarm + immob to properly function. Usually a clause in the policy.

For insurance purposes you would need to keep main battery connected in order for alarm + immob to properly function. Usually a clause in the policy.
Ah, I hadn’t considered this. On an N reg T4 there were no such exotic things, so it didn’t really matter, but I fully understand why this could be an issue with a modern vehicle.

I had to cut a Disklock off our Cali when I returned off holiday to Manchester airport and realised the disklock key were on the other car keys at home, 80 miles from Manchester!
Taxi to screwfix for hacksaw and blades.
It took a good 20 mins and brute force to get off so they are a good deterrent in my opinion.

3B6A5D0F-90A1-4A2B-A938-62B75E6AB8A8.jpeg

I had to cut a Disklock off our Cali when I returned off holiday to Manchester airport and realised the disklock key were on the other car keys at home, 80 miles from Manchester!
Taxi to screwfix for hacksaw and blades.
It took a good 20 mins and brute force to get off so they are a good deterrent in my opinion.

View attachment 55194

2 mins with a battery powered grinder.
Still better than nothing.

Do you actually use it? (the vehicle)....

I jump in and out of mine every day, sometimes 3,4 or 5 times a day.

I have bought a vehicle with enhanced security. It scores highly on security tests. I'm willing to trust them.

To overlay an extra set(s) of precautions, codes to be entered, seats to be swivelled, locks to be removed ... when all I want is to use the thing would drive me nuts.

My best security purchase costs £367 per year. It's called insurance,
The OP is away for two months leaving their pride and joy on their driveway. Swivelling a front seat once in two months doesn't seem a too onerous precaution.

I was taught not to leave the handbrake on if leaving the car for a long time so that the brake pads don’t bind to the discs. Detracts from the security though, and the move to electronic handbrakes takes that option away on many cars.

2 months is an awfully long time for thieves to work out how to spin the front seat back into driving position.

If it were me I'd lock and leave making sure that insurance covers it properly if taken. If I was really worried I'd think about paying for a secure parking facility

If someone wants it they will have it....

2 months is an awfully long time for thieves to work out how to spin the front seat back into driving position.
Agreed, but they have the same length of time to work out how to remove or lower a bollard, steering wheel lock, etc. And spinning a driver's seat with a deadlocked driver's door is considerably more difficult to work out than most other security measures.

Spin driver's seat.
Lower arm rests
Push seat fully forward
Recline seat
Lower steering wheel
Don't forget to put handbrake back on
And deadlock the doors.

The only way that van is going anywhere is if it is craned directly onto a low loader, or the driver's door is destroyed.
Brilliant...it would certainly take me more than 5 minutes to sort that puzzle out

If was to leave my Cali standing still outside on the drive while away that long i would be looking for a indoor storage instead .
I don't have the problem doh as my Cali when not on use is always parked up inside my garage , Bearlock on at all time and another car blocking the way out most of the times so pretty hard to steal imo. but one never knows....
And if we are away for a few days , two weeks or a month.....i always take my Cali with me !

Depends on the risk but you could just remove
the drivers seat and put it in the house.

Probably about a 10 min job, it might sound a bit extreme but
have you ever tried driving a car without a seat. :)

Spin driver's seat.
Lower arm rests
Push seat fully forward
Recline seat
Lower steering wheel
Don't forget to put handbrake back on
And deadlock the doors.

The only way that van is going anywhere is if it is craned directly onto a low loader, or the driver's door is destroyed.
I don’t understand, if they broke in what’s stopping them just reversing the above procedure ? I presume I’m being thick !!!

I don’t understand, if they broke in what’s stopping them just reversing the above procedure ? I presume I’m being thick !!!
The driver's door needs to be opened to spin the seat. A deadlocked door is not easy to open.

But even if they did manage to overcome the driver's door lock and open the door, they still need to know the process involved to spin the seat. The position of the seat on the rails, for example, needs to be very precise.

The driver's door needs to be opened to spin the seat. A deadlocked door is not easy to open.

But even if they did manage to overcome the driver's door lock and open the door, they still need to know the process involved to spin the seat. The position of the seat on the rails, for example, needs to be very precise.
I always spin my driver's seat from inside the van, with the driver's door shut. That's a Jerba conversion, not a Cali, but it's the same factory-fitted VW swivel seat so I wouldn't have thought it would be any different?

I always spin my driver's seat from inside the van, with the driver's door shut. That's a Jerba conversion, not a Cali, but it's the same factory-fitted VW swivel seat so I wouldn't have thought it would be any different?
If you can spin it with the door shut, then it is different.