Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service centre feedback for East of England

SharonW

SharonW

Setters
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have recently moved here and are coming up to our first major service (and have an ongoing side door grinding noise niggle been in 3 times to MK Brian Currie but still re occurring) - we are located pretty equal driving time to Spalding (Crowsons), Norwich (Robertson’s), Peterborough (Robinson’s) and slight longer to Bury St Edmunds (Marriott) - so any feedback would on recent experiences would be much appreciated. Cheers

We have recently moved here and are coming up to our first major service (and have an ongoing side door grinding noise niggle been in 3 times to MK Brian Currie but still re occurring) - we are located pretty equal driving time to Spalding (Crowsons), Norwich (Robertson’s), Peterborough (Robinson’s) and slight longer to Bury St Edmunds (Marriott) - so any feedback would on recent experiences would be much appreciated. Cheers
Hi
I was wondering what Kettering VW was like for servicing. I called in yesterday for some new wiper blades and they had not got any.!!! Makes me a bit hesitant about using them for a service.
Is Vindis St Ives any good or even the Vindis Northampton????

Hi, I bought my Cali from Marriot at Bury St Edmunds and have been back for some warranty work replacing a roof bellows that they did very well. Sadly their management have decided to stop selling California’s so over time their expertise will diminish. My Cali is due it’s first service soon so I will take it there.

Hi
I was wondering what Kettering VW was like for servicing. I called in yesterday for some new wiper blades and they had not got any.!!! Makes me a bit hesitant about using them for a service.
Is Vindis St Ives any good or even the Vindis Northampton????
steer well clear if i was you

steer well clear if i was you
Thanks Kev
I had that feeling. My usual service center is VW at Coventry . I have had had two California's and I have been well satisfied However 50 mile trip !! and as I pass by Kettering it would have helped to save diesel if they were any good

Hi, I bought my Cali from Marriot at Bury St Edmunds and have been back for some warranty work replacing a roof bellows that they did very well. Sadly their management have decided to stop selling California’s so over time their expertise will diminish. My Cali is due it’s first service soon so I will take it there.
Thanks Calisand - that’s a shame about Marriott, they have got good general reviews and were our first choice based on those nearby. We will probably join you in going there

I had my California serviced and MOT'd by VW Bury St. Edmunds and the front disks and pads changed at the same time last year at 100,000 miles and all was fine. Shame they have stopped selling the California.

Thanks Calisand - that’s a shame about Marriott, they have got good general reviews and were our first choice based on those nearby. We will probably join you in going there
Ask for JohnClarke he is still there and was the Cali salesman - good bloke :thumb

Does anyone in the East have any thought about where to get their Cali serviced? I used to use Bury St Edmunds but the Cali experts moved to Ipswich and I was underwhelmed last time I went. Other options are Norwich or Peterborough. There are stories about both on here that put me off too.
Any positive experiences with any of these 3 centres would be encouraging?!

Why does it need a cali expert? there isn't anything different about servicing a cali compared to a basic Van.
If there's warranty work needed on the roof etc thats a different matter.

I’ve always had a top experience from Robinsons in Norwich and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. They manage my servicing, any warranty stuff and arranged for the roof repair.

Last visit to Robinson's P'boro they had a new Service Manager who was impressive, can't say the same about the Guy on the desk who had previously said that rear tracking wasn't adjustable and on another occasion required the Cali back for further investigation of a problem then on return investigation said that it needed further investigation (at the same point as previous visit) but wouldn't be covered by warranty as now over 6 months old.
In addition same guy phoned on last visit (Feb.) to say that they had taken longer to do upgrades and error code investigations and could they keep it until the next working day, in Friday out Monday. Dash cam recording showed that it didn't move from my drop off on Friday until Monday morning.
Also had difficulty getting the free adblue paperwork after modification.

No issue with actual work done.

Why does it need a cali expert? there isn't anything different about servicing a cali compared to a basic Van.
If there's warranty work needed on the roof etc thats a different matter.
Control panel knob needs replacing. Don't want to risk anyone raising the roof and knackering the fabric. I know they don't need to....
To be honest, we are considering using a local garage for the MOT and service. They used to be a Skoda garage which is similar to VW...
Everywhere is at least a 45 min drive from here and don'thave the time to wait.

Control panel knob needs replacing. Don't want to risk anyone raising the roof and knackering the fabric. I know they don't need to....
To be honest, we are considering using a local garage for the MOT and service. They used to be a Skoda garage which is similar to VW...
Everywhere is at least a 45 min drive from here and don'thave the time to wait.
Robinsons P'Boro. will be a case of drop off for the day and if need any part it'll be extended to 2 days.

Local if you have a good garage. They are more likely to want to keep your custom and be much less hassle.

Used Bury recently. Just a service. No issue with that but the warranty items I asked them to look at were all brushed aside.

Creaking floor rail
Sliding door scratching wheel arch

They were not clued up for California and were not really interested. Won’t use again unless it’s basic service and once out or warranty it will be going to my local garage who I trust to do a proper job.

What about Loughton? Close to M25. It’s where we bought it from. Bury no longer sell the California. Loughton do. Equidistance to bury from north Essex where we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used Bury a couple of times. In May for a major service and to check 2 issues - roof drains blocked and a leaky window. All good indeed impressed with the overall service and window was ordered with no quibbles. Went the follow week for the fitting and waited 90 mins to be told it would take more than a day and vw forbid the loan of vehicles due to Covid so we had a wasted 100mile round trip. Grr! In October we had the dreaded EML light so went back with a little apprehension given it was likely they would need to keep the vehicle - indeed they did and I did get a van to get home in. They said 2 days but the parts took 2 weeks to arrive! They did the window while they had the van (not sure how long they actually took) and have to say they made a great job - you would not know it had been done and now no leaks!

I went to Bury just before first lockdown for first service and minor warranty issues and they were very good.
I bought the van from Bury and maybe I’m old fashioned but I feel like they have a responsibility to help me as i bought the van from them?

Used Bury recently. Just a service. No issue with that but the warranty items I asked them to look at were all brushed aside.

Creaking floor rail
Sliding door scratching wheel arch

They were not clued up for California and were not really interested. Won’t use again unless it’s basic service and once out or warranty it will be going to my local garage who I trust to do a proper job.

What about Loughton? Close to M25. It’s where we bought it from. Bury no longer sell the California. Loughton do. Equidistance to bury from north Essex where we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your experience with Bury St Edmunds is similar to mine. We like North of Cambridge so Peterborough or Norwich are worthnango. I will try Peterborough and tell them I need it back the same day.
Thanks for the responses

Back