Service Interval?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I am a little confused by Listers Cov and wanted to check something with other members.

My beach is coming up to 1 year old.

I booked in for a visual inspection, which they completed. After the inspection the message saying it was due an inspection continued. I called today to ask why it was still there. They now tell me I need a service...

I already have a service pack, but I thought the interval on these was 2 years or 20k miles? My van is 1 year old and 9k miles. They say it is now due a service?

I was fine until the person said we will do a visual inspection too at the same time. I pointed out they'd already done this 3 weeks ago and that was why I called.

Should it be serviced after 1 year. I realise it can't hurt but am I wasting my free services here?

Hi Matt, I was in Listers Cov last week and have similar mileage/age to yours.
A visual check was done however no mention of a service and also assume its 2 years.

Hi Matt mine is coming up to three years old had my first 'major service' at two years around 12K. I booked it in when I had a notification on the dashboard. I have also used Listers in Coventry as I live there. I don't know if there has been a change in personnel or policy but I did get some confusing requests to bring my van in for a check.

I think the inspection messages should be updated.

Mine was 20,000 miles or two years.

I had the inspection at 20,000 miles and about 14 months and it then said "next service 5,000 miles", the reason being it needs a full oil change at 20,000 miles.

I also queried mine :D

9000 miles of short journeys can cause the gizmo in the engine that monitors the oil quality to indicate you needing a service.
If you don't want the service doing, you can reset the service indicator yourself by pressing certain buttons on the dash, have a look in the handbook.

Shortest journeys I do are only about 10 miles so it could be. Although Its definitely not showing as a service required, only an "inspection due" which they already did 3 weeks ago. The computer says something like 350 days until service required last time I checked.

The service chap was confused why they didnt do a service at the same time. I suspect its because it doesn't need one. I'm going to go in in person I think.

Hi Matt,

The inspection is every year and is just that a visual look at things. The service is every 2 years or when the computer decides based on oil quality. I did an oil change at my inspection ( i.e minor service) but asked them to only reset the inspection light not service light. Knowing when my van was built I did not want to go almost 3 years before the 1st oil change. I'm planning to leave it on variable service but change oil yearly as the cost between a visual inspection and minor service ( oil change) is negligble.

I think thay failed to reset inspection message.

Everything VW does is confusing ... that's what VW stands for ! or is it me, don't know I'm a bit confused ....

Yup pretty certain now thanks folks. I'll call in tomorrow and cancel the service

b021e79cb407fb87d8090f2d7d1ee633.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I popped in, in person recently to ask them to reset the message.

Glad to say the chap knew his stuff and apologised. He got a tech to reset the message straight away whilst I waited, literally was in there long enough to drink a cup of tea, Although I've been frustrated with them on the phone, I actually find visiting in person gets excellent service at Coventry, so I just wanted to be fair and state that I got a good turn around from them.

They do seem to have reset the service interval as well though now but hey I know when the service is needed without a reminder. At least its not shouting at me to have it inspected every day any longer.

Our van was delivered end March 14, we had our first service with oil change at an early 15,020 in May 15 as we were heading off to Europe for 10 weeks, at that time display was indicating oil change in 9,900 miles and an inspection due in 5,100. Now just over a year later and almost 29,765 on the odometer van is telling me inspection now overdue (booked in on Friday) VW also saying oil change required but van display shows this is due in 10,200 miles which would be 25k between changes???

All very confusing to me, in any event I will have the oil changed on Friday to best protect my engine.

IMG_20160524_2051027_rewind.jpg IMG_20160524_2050446_rewind.jpg

Where do i find the service / inspection info ?. i use the computers 1 and 2 but it does not appear with that info - am i missing something - i have done 10000 miles and i cant see any service countdown or days to next service - thanks

Where do i find the service / inspection info ?. i use the computers 1 and 2 but it does not appear with that info - am i missing something - i have done 10000 miles and i cant see any service countdown or days to next service - thanks
Scroll through the display settings menu, select service then info, it is on my manual page 29.

Over the last 12 years we've had quite a number of VW's and this issue of the first service being indicated due too early has happened with all of them.

Two of them (Golfs) were actually booked in and left with the dealer only for us to be told that they didn't need servicing when we came to pick them up. Yet another two (Golfs again) had the service due come up in 12 months and when we contacted the dealer they confirmed they weren't due and they would reset the service counter if we called in at our convenience.

The last but one was our current Cali, same thing and the dealer reset the counter again.

Then our Golf GTE hybrid, it's only done 3000 miles and most of that had been on electric and the engine hardly used, said it was due. Same again, trip to the dealers to reset it.

Some things never seem to change ... o_O

Back