Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service required?

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, got the california out of the garage for camping season. We are going to the Lake District next weekend. The car is saying it needs a service. It last got serviced 22/03/23 so literally 1 year ago by the old owner by Manchester van centre. The car has done 2500 miles since that service. I rang my local VW van centre around 3 weeks ago to book in for a service as I have the all in policy and want to use the services up. They told me it’s not required until next year as the schedule is every 2 years or 20k miles. Is this correct? According to the service history or the car it’s been serviced around every 18k miles. The Cali has done around 43k miles in total. Shall I reset the reminder (if this is possible) or insist on a service? I tried the search function but not sure it’s working properly.
Thanks for any replies

Hi, got the california out of the garage for camping season. We are going to the Lake District next weekend. The car is saying it needs a service. It last got serviced 22/03/23 so literally 1 year ago by the old owner by Manchester van centre. The car has done 2500 miles since that service. I rang my local VW van centre around 3 weeks ago to book in for a service as I have the all in policy and want to use the services up. They told me it’s not required until next year as the schedule is every 2 years or 20k miles. Is this correct? According to the service history or the car it’s been serviced around every 18k miles. The Cali has done around 43k miles in total. Shall I reset the reminder (if this is possible) or insist on a service? I tried the search function but not sure it’s working properly.
Thanks for any replies
In your case I would be insisting on a service as you are paying for one per year.

I did question that but they did say it will be a major service next year then a minor before the all in package ends in 2026 even though it’ll be earlier than required. I’ll probably call them Monday to say the Cali says service required and see what they say. I’d rather it be over serviced than under serviced.

Your service indicator has been reset on time and distance at the time of last service instead of the long life service of 2 years I would say.

Your service indicator has been reset on time and distance at the time of last service instead of the long life service of 2 years I would say.
Its the other way round, van is set to long life but if you are on the All In scheme you are paying for annual services.

Its the other way round, van is set to long life but if you are on the All In scheme you are paying for annual services.
Not my experience.
My van is on Long life (ie every 2 years)
The Plan includes a major and minor service.
Although the plan is only 2 years long for MOT’s and VW assistance, the service has an extended use by date eg
Plan taken out June 2023, Minor service Feb 2024, plan expires June 2025 but Major service in plan valid until June 2026 covering the expected time interval of Feb 2026 as I do about 10k per year.
Think the OP has dropped out of the Long life service intervals by only doing 2500 in a year.

IMG_6995.jpeg

I do acknowledge that if you had just had the vehicle long life serviced and then bought an All in Plan you would have to short change yourself on the second service in the plan, bringing it forward by 12 months to complete it within the 3 year life of the service element of the plan.
Timing is everything.

Not my experience.
My van is on Long life (ie every 2 years)
The Plan includes a major and minor service.
Although the plan is only 2 years long for MOT’s and VW assistance, the service has an extended use by date eg
Plan taken out June 2023, Minor service Feb 2024, plan expires June 2025 but Major service in plan valid until June 2026 covering the expected time interval of Feb 2026 as I do about 10k per year.
Think the OP has dropped out of the Long life service intervals by only doing 2500 in a year.

View attachment 120892
In order to take two services the van needs the service indicator set to annual servicing not long life.
As the van was recently serviced At 2500 miles a year it would take up to four years before the second service is showing as required.

Last edited:
The All in plan gets you two years of everything - warranty, breakdown cover, 2 mots. And two services. In order to take two services the van needs the service indicator set to annual servicing not long life.
The important bit is that it is different to the other service plans, the life of the all in is for two years, not two services whenever they are needed.
Please look at my screen shot of my all in plan. The service element is valid for 3 years, my service interval is still set on long life and due to the timing of my plan purchase both included services will be done

I don’t care what VW or anyone tells me.
My new 4Motion will be having a service every year.
I’ve heard too many issues from many many people who think they’ll scrimp on having a service every year and go two years, then on year 6, the engine is shot, or blocked EGR, valve guides, chain guards, water pump, so many issues can happen in the engine.

I’ve got two free services and 5 year warranty, I booked in for a service after one year at B’ham.
They booked me in.
I rang about a week before I was due to make sure they had a loan vehicle, and they mentioned it doesn’t need doing for two years.
I said it’s booked in and why has things suddenly changed, makes no sense.
My vehicle is saying it needs a service.
Why just reset and push dirty oil round again for another year.
I have a strange feeling they suddenly want all services to 2 years. I wonder why that is?

And I’ve had company cars and run private car’s (for me and the wife) for 36 year's.
I’ll service every year for the cost of it.
And keep doing monthly maintenance, checking fluids.
It’s the same with machines that I’ve worked on for 30 years.
You know the machine, the customer has maintained and the machines customers don’t.
And you know which ones going to last many many years. It’s not rocket science.
Look after it and it will look after you.

That’s in MHO :thumb

@Resfeber
You are missing the point. The OP needs to get the van set to annual servicing if they actually ever want to use both services. That would be the right interval to match both the van usage and the scheme.

No point having a paid for service which you can’t use until a year after the van should have had it.

So I called VW van centre Leeds today and told them my service indicator came on. They said it’s come on as it’s set for every year servicing from the last VW van centre who did the service. They told me to book it in for a major service so I did and it’s booked in on the 10th April (the soonest they could do). This is part of the all in package so won’t cost me anything then next year an interim. The servicing part of my all in package also lasts 1 year longer than the warranty and road side assistance. I assume this is for the vehicles that have the 2 year intervals . So am I right in thinking the less miles the Cali does the more often it needs servicing?

So I called VW van centre Leeds today and told them my service indicator came on. They said it’s come on as it’s set for every year servicing from the last VW van centre who did the service. They told me to book it in for a major service so I did and it’s booked in on the 10th April (the soonest they could do). This is part of the all in package so won’t cost me anything then next year an interim. The servicing part of my all in package also lasts 1 year longer than the warranty and road side assistance. I assume this is for the vehicles that have the 2 year intervals . So am I right in thinking the less miles the Cali does the more often it needs servicing?
This is the Official VW line.

Yes low mileage needs annual services. Also worth noting that you cant buy a replacement AllIN package whilst you still have one live. So if you havn't used all you services you cant buy another to extend the warranty.

So when I bought my all in one last year it runs for 2 years but the servicing for 3 (but only 2 services) Does that mean I can’t renew until 2026?

So when I bought my all in one last year it runs for 2 years but the servicing for 3 (but only 2 services) Does that mean I can’t renew until 2026?
My take is that provided both included services have been correctly used before the end of the warranty period in 2025 and the van is less than 6 years old you will be able to have another All in Plan in 2025 when the warranty, mot and assistance elements expire.
There is a 1 month waiting period unless it is back to back with your expiring plan.
I have checked my T&C’s and there is no set in stone service interval ie every 2 years or every 12 months.
It simply says serviced in accordance with the manufactures service schedules.
So if eligible for 2 year intervals for one service then drop to 1 year interval due to usage or mileage for next service.

Also VW have a tip to have the service done within 30 days or 1000 miles of when due which I take could include 30 days before the due date.

IMG_6996.jpeg

IMG_6997.png

Last edited:
You can’t renew until you’ve had the second service.
Same problem others have had where they had a service plan still in place.

The Service Schedules, Service Plans, All in One plans are designed for Transporters that do average milage commonly in excess of 10,000 miles/ year.
I have annual services/oil changes and milage between services varies between 15 - 20,000 miles / year. Only in 2020 did it drop to 10,000 miles.
I, personally, believe that these ultra low milage vehicles do have and will have more problems than those averaging 10,000 miles or thereabouts a year.

The Service Schedules, Service Plans, All in One plans are designed for Transporters that do average milage commonly in excess of 10,000 miles/ year.
I have annual services/oil changes and milage between services varies between 15 - 20,000 miles / year. Only in 2020 did it drop to 10,000 miles.
I, personally, believe that these ultra low milage vehicles do have and will have more problems than those averaging 10,000 miles or thereabouts a year.
Agree. I also noticed that the recent Long life service intervals have dropped from 2yrs 20,000 miles to 2 years 18,600 and daily use of at least 25 miles, suggesting that a move to annual oil changes at least would be a good option for any intermittent use /low annual mileage/short journey vehicle use