Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing stitch up

Regretfully I think that we are going down the route of manufacturer or only approved garages being allowed to service. The EU directives and concerns regarding pollution will no doubt limit our options in the future. As the electronics are so invasive and complex they will no doubt make their case. As long as I get a good price service from my VW dealer I am happy as it is cheaper than my time. I also agree they could give us paper books but as long as retain your own records you have a service record.

Can't even do a simple fuse change, due to lack of fuse layout chart.

The local independent we've used for 20+ years (once our cars get beyond warranty, and even before that for our cheapo runarounds) have so far happily serviced everything we've ever thrown at them. No problems with re-setting service displays etc. Long live them.

But there does seem to be a steady and I assume unstoppable momentum towards tied servicing regimes in the UK at least. Still I've wondered what happens in countries where the geography makes it unrealistic for every owner to have the relevant franchised dealer/service outfit within a realistic travel time?

Doesn't that mean the manufacturers still have to make it reasonably easy for multi-brand (manufacturer-approved) servicing shops, or even generalists, to operate?

Why wouldn't you, tho? If we believe they don't make much cash on the initial sale, the extras & maintenance are important additional income streams. The harder it is for others to service, the better it is for the dealers. Keeps them happy.