Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servotronic Option on Cali SE

tea&cake

tea&cake

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know if it is worth having the Servotronic as an option on the Cali SE? Just wondering if it makes much difference in terms of the power-assisted steering and whether it's best with or without. It would be good to know if anyone has experience of driving both and what difference it makes to the normal power-assisted steering.

Many thanks for any advice and recommendations.

Have not got it and do not feel I am missing anything But have parking sensors for the 1st time and until I had them on the Cali thought they were only for older drivers and did not feel I was missing them. Then I also remembered I am now an older driver :doh

I had an Infiniti Q56 for a few days a while back and found the servotronic steering rather disturbing - a lot like driving on ice at low speeds. I'm sure you would get used to it and it is fine but I don't think it is a 'must have'. That said, maybe if you're doing loads of city driving...?

It will only make a differance at slow/parking speeds and no differance at all at any other speed IMO not worth the money as you don't really need it .

Thanks to all for the feedback on the Servotronic option, which was very helpful. It sounds like the normal power-assisted steering is absolutely fine. I haven't tried a Cali fitted with Servotronic but have driven it without and found it easier enough to park. Thanks again for the help.

I didn't even know it was an option!

Our car (BMW M135i) has a version of it - a bit odd at first (light at low speeds, weights up as you get faster) but I'm now totally used to it and like it.

Cali steering is quite vague but it works well enough.

I spec'd it on my Beach, and also had it on my BMW previously...

Having driven both a transporter without and my Mum's BMW X1 (really awful) without... For me it was important.

TBH I was under the impression that the SE had it as standard!!