Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

She’s injured...

Same thing happened to me in the car park where I wot

Not good prepare for a side full of body filler:(

Poor girl.
You’ll get her put right.

I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere that someone had the complete side of their bus replaced without any issues...!

The repairer is talking of replacing the complete side panel...gulp!!
Speaking as an ex painter for damage like that, which from the photo, doesn't seem extensive you are better off getting it repaired. Replacing panels comes at a much greater risk of corrosion further down the line. I'd be pretty much insisting the panel not be replaced.

Same thing happened to me in August and I posted here. In the end, I had the panel replaced and used VW Leicester based on the recommendation of another on here who are very experienced with the job. I collected on Friday and happy to say the repair is perfect, and no rattles and squeaks.

Before this I had had insurance company repairers suggest fill and paint, or panel replacement -“we’ve not done this before but we’ll read the manuals from VW”. I didn’t want anyone practicing on my 2019 van! With relatively little fuss my insurance company agreed to appoint VW Leicester Van Centre (John) for the £6500 job. It does involve removal of the interior kitchen and bench etc so a 4 week job.

Not sure how damaged your wheel arch is, side looks similar to ours, but if you go for panel replacement, I strongly urge you go with someone experienced like Leicester. I did try Breeze in Dorset who have a great general rep with Cali’s, but they do not do bodywork repairs in house. I have a spreadsheet of all the places I tried if you want to PM me, but happy with our choice even if a 3 hour drive to them.

Hope all goes well it’s a tricky one...
Un pealing the side is a massive job unless they cut and weld in the new bit before the seams ????
.the trouble is the metal is now stretched so unless you go for a full side it will definitely need a lot of filler to get it straight again.if it’s possible I would go for a full side but it will be very intrusive.its a bit of a double edge sword :(

I’d have thought replacement is better than repair. I’ll talk to the repair shop, Sowton body repairs in Exeter, anyone any experience of them? The repairer is owned by the same people as the Van Centre, I’ve already told them I’d want Simon the master tech to tackle the furniture..he replaced it last year, long story!

I appreciate all the suggestions and life experience stories... helps me come to a decision!!

Good luck with the repair, sounds like Simon is more than qualified! I felt sick when I caused the damage, but all forgotten now than the repair is completed and van valeted. Good as new.

Good luck with the repair, sounds like Simon is more than qualified! I felt sick when I caused the damage, but all forgotten now than the repair is completed and van valeted. Good as new.
That is great news, hopefully I will have a happy ending too!!

Oh no Guy - sorry to see this.

Denzil had an injury a few months ago too. No experience of Sowton Body Repairs I'm afraid, but if you get any issues with the body work, I'd be happy to recommend the place we eneded up using. You can see the repair on our van first as well if it helps you make a decision.

Hey Wobbly Mum,
How’s you guys? Heartbroken, my fault, misjudged the space! But at least no one was hurt and after a little cosmetic surgery she’ll be fine!! I’d be interested to know where you had Denzil sorted... The Sowton place is under the same ownership as the VW van centre... so hopefully all can be done “in house”!!
It would be great to catch up with you two and Denzil!!!

As others have said, steel has been stretched, and now that modern cars are really made of tin foil compared to previous eras (which is correct re: weight), you should only trust this repair to a well known shop. Otherwise (and that well known shop may well recommend this also!), replace with a new panel. Getting the corrosion issues right is actually much easier than getting the stretched steel issues right, but in the end, the only important thing is working with a truely excellent artist level body shop.

Have a look at this Facebook post to give you an idea of what’s involved :eek:. Go and speak to a good independent Paintless Dent Removal PDR repairer first.

Sadly, in a good way, I don’t have face book. I’ll have to get one of my kids over to log in to open the link!!

Having the dent pulled out & then filled is the way to go.
Every time I’ve had a welded panel replaced on any vehicle it’s ended up as the first place to rust & the joint with the cill is the most vulnerable bit of the van in the first place.

Having the dent pulled out & then filled is the way to go.
Every time I’ve had a welded panel replaced on any vehicle it’s ended up as the first place to rust & the joint with the cill is the most vulnerable bit of the van in the first place.

Absolutely agree; even with VW approved repairers the replaced panels rust.

Have a look at this Facebook post to give you an idea of what’s involved :eek:. Go and speak to a good independent Paintless Dent Removal PDR repairer first.

Goodness me! Thank you for getting the pictures.
It seems full and paint is the way forward. It’s an approved VW body shop so it’s on them!

I did the same look up bollardgate posts! I think it was £8500 to repair. This is a well known blind spot on cali’s especially when bollard is painted dark green and its dark!
They did a truly amazing job at Twickenham it came back with less squeeks etc than before.
5 years now and no problems at all. However although it was covered on my no claims bonus cover I still have to declare it as an accident of my fault. And I believe my insurance us quite pricey as a result. Good luck