Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

short trip from Hull To Liverpool...

Peter V

Peter V

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hello folks
first time trip to UK (in the cali)
So I will be taking the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull for a 3 day weekend trip..(sleeping on the boat on thursdaynight and sunday night..)
Planning on doing York(x-mas market allready ??) and the wife is English football nut and Liverpool is playing home that weekend
against Bristol I think.... chances on us getting a ticket for the match are real slim I know , any thoughts and tips?
Also any safe overnighting places in York or Liverpool...? Is there a parking lot near the footbal stadium? lots of questions..;-)
Any help (espacially on the tickets appreciated..)
cheers
Peter

I’m not sure about overnighting stops near York but there a several good campsites. We just stayed at Naburn for a couple of nights and would recommend it. It’s a few miles south of the city centre so a quick drive in or short bus ride https://www.yorknaburnlock.com/

Hello folks
So I will be taking the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull for a 3 day weekend trip..(sleeping on the boat on thursdaynight and sunday night..)
Planning on doing York(x-mas market allready ??) and the wife is English football nut and Liverpool is playing home that weekend
against Bristol I think.... chances on us getting a ticket for the match are real slim I know , any thoughts and tips?
Also any safe overnighting places in York or Liverpool...? Is there a parking lot near the footbal stadium? lots of questions..;-)
cheers
Peter
Hello folks
cheers
Peter
Hi, it won’t be Bristol as they aren’t in the Premier League, what date are you looking at.
Chances of tickets are less than slim. If it’s not a match day you could book a stadium & museum tour which includes a tour of the ground, it’s a really good experience.
No appropriate overnight parking near the ground, it’s a residential built up area.
There’s a nice site at Thurstaston on the Wirral & at Chester also one at Southport but they are CMC sites.
You could try the car park at Parkgate on the Wirral or by the old lighthouse North Wirral Coastal Park, we’ve no experience of using these but can give you directions.
You could also try a pub / restaurant car park if anyone can suggest somewhere that’s agreeable.
For real ‘wild camping’ you would probably need to go into North Wales.
Good luck!

Hi, it won’t be Bristol as they aren’t in the Premier League, what date are you looking at.
Chances of tickets are less than slim. If it’s not a match day you could book a stadium & museum tour which includes a tour of the ground, it’s a really good experience.
No appropriate overnight parking near the ground, it’s a residential built up area.
There’s a nice site at Thurstaston on the Wirral & at Chester also one at Southport but they are CMC sites.
You could try the car park at Parkgate on the Wirral or by the old lighthouse North Wirral Coastal Park, we’ve no experience of using these but can give you directions.
You could also try a pub / restaurant car park if anyone can suggest somewhere that’s agreeable.
For real ‘wild camping’ you would probably need to go into North Wales.
Good luck!
That's right , I meant Brighton .....
It will be the weekend from 29/11 till 1/12 I would prob spend a night or so in Liverpool
but sleeping "incognito" in the cali , so no roof up..just don't wanne be overnighting in a "council estate "area , or am I being "political incorrect"...;-)

Many years ago I used to do windsurfing competitions at West Kirby Marine Lake - big car park at the north end of the lake, just to the north of Thurstaston that was mentioned above. Car park is off South Parade, West Kirby.
It is a nice area, with great views over the sea to Wales (or just lots of flat sand at low tide). It can be very windy there....
I think you can can also park on the South Parade promenade, and there are toilets at the leisure centre and a supermarket (as per comments on the Park4Night app...).
From there you can drive into Liverpool quite easily.

You will most probably take the m62 from one side of the country to the other, through Yorkshire, touching Lancashire, greater Manchester, Cheshire then Merseyside.
There will be plenty of sites in these counties for you to stop at. May be a small drive from the M62/M60 but should be easy to find something with a little searching on google.

You could stop at Liverpool Marina, think you might have to book in advance, an easy walk in to the city centre also

Hi if you want to wild camp the A570 Rainford bypass out in the sticks has a few laybys away from the main carriageway you could park in, then you are about 10 miles from Anfield along the A580 East Lancashire Road or you could stay on Burtonwood services on the M62 but there is a charge for overnighting. Doubt you will get tickets for the game but you could watch the match and be part of the pre match atmosphere in one of the bars near the ground.

Many years ago I used to do windsurfing competitions at West Kirby Marine Lake - big car park at the north end of the lake, just to the north of Thurstaston that was mentioned above. Car park is off South Parade, West Kirby.
It is a nice area, with great views over the sea to Wales (or just lots of flat sand at low tide). It can be very windy there....
I think you can can also park on the South Parade promenade, and there are toilets at the leisure centre and a supermarket (as per comments on the Park4Night app...).
From there you can drive into Liverpool quite easily.
You can’t stop o/n in the car park or on the parade at West Kirby

So unkind of them to ban that at some point in the past 25 years since I was last there . Many a night sleeping in my windsurfing van in the car park, wishing that I had a proper camper van....

So unkind of them to ban that at some point in the past 25 years since I was last there . Many a night sleeping in my windsurfing van in the car park, wishing that I had a proper camper van....
Our local council had no choice really the number of vans stopping there was becoming excessive so now no parking between 8pm & 8am

Ok BIG thanx for the info guys!!
I will take in all the advice on spots and places with a map next to me in the newt few days when planning the trip ....
cheers
Peter

I wouldn’t recommend staying over night near Anfield, not the safest of areas.
Take a look at Delamere forest, around 30-40 minutes drive from Liverpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good shout maybe if they come again they could stay in Delamere or just off the A49 around Stretton then they could have jumped on the motorway to avoid the stupid bridge toll.

The Little Roodee car park at nearby Chester allows overnight parking for motor homes/campervans. It is a short walk from the centre of Chester which is worth a visit if in the area.

Saw some unfortunate camper there in the summer in a T6 conversion with his pop top stuck at 45 degrees side to side.

Hello Chaps
the trip was faboulous...
We came of the ferry from hull at 8-tish and drove straight to Liverpool via M62 n no hassles what so ever
But I did notice you guys most have the most speed camera infested freeway of the world ; damn there were average speed checks just about everywhere ...
Anyway we arrived at Liverpool around noun-ish and my wife insited (she's the football nut in my marriage..lol I'm the motorcycle nut..)we first did the anfield stadium and museum tour , had a bite to eat at the museum
and then went to lLiverpool city centre to find a spot to park the bus and do some christmas shopping..
I drove first to the "official RV parking lot "at the docks (Liverpool marinea)and offcourse ALL 14 spaces were booked for...I mean a city like Liverpool has 14 camper spaces..what a total discrase....
They also where very unhelpfull at the marina to guide us to some other possibilities..
So I drove a few minutes in the dock and noticed a camper parked at the "queens warf car park , outside just left of the bridge..I asked if he stayed overnight an he said he always stays there as he frequently went to gigs
at the exibition center liverpool..(there was a beatles tribute band playingthat night..no sing...lol)
he said they (the cops he ment) leave you alone aslong as you pay the 15 opunds for 24 houers parking fee
You may just have the odd teenager enjoying his mc do drive trough meal at night that's all..
So we parked there (no pop up roof) and went to town centre wich was just 200 m further...
did some shopping , had a pizza and visited the famous "tavern.." , at night there where no isuues , and by the morning a few campers had joined us.. , So we had a good english breakfast at the "pumphouse"
when my wife got called by one of oure contacts they had 2 tickets for the football game ..
Talk about some luck.... so we drove off and had a once in a lifetime expierence I tink , seeing a home game of Liverpool...
After the match and some entertainment..;-) we drove back to York where we also tryed to park on a camper site
was neatr the water , don't remember the name , but it was also "full" and they even said it was way to late , even if they had place to book me (it was afetr nine pm..)I could also not stand at theire parking cos of inschurance issues..
and told me basicly to "bugger off..."...so I found a parking space a few miles in a closeby part of town (not the center of York..) , payed a 24 houer fee and had a good quiet night 's sleep)..
Next morning we had breakfast at the black swan , wich was ver very good and very friendly poeple..
We could even park our bus at theire parking lot for a reasenble fee..
So we did the (overcrouwded )chrismas market at York till it was time to get on the 6.30 pm ferry back to Zeebrugge
All in all a very good and enjoyable first trip in the Northern part of England minus the lack of "camper restplaces"...
thanx and I"ll srely will come back , butthis time a few days longer and get a good feel of that lovely countryside , I now only got a glance of on the motorway..;-)
cheers
Peter

Sorry you couldn’t get in the Marina, and even sorrier you and your family had to witness a Liverpool game ( I’m an Evertonian) but glad you enjoyed Liverpool, it’s a great city but does get some bad press
So glad you enjoyed the experience over here

Back