Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I cancel my 2016 Cali Beach order??

T

Twibbletibble

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
What with the recent scandal, scaremongering in the media, VW share price down 20%, I'm starting to get cold feet about buying the van. I ordered it a couple of month ago through my employer lease scheme but ordered before the scandal broke. The van is due to be built in the first week on January 2016. The estimated residual value in 2019 that I have been quoted is approximately £14,900, add that on to my monthly payments over 3 years gives an approx total of £36,500 for a 3 year old van with 30,000 miles. I'm just wondering if it's not going to turn out to be the investment that I initially thought it was going to be. I'm going to get on to the lease scheme and see what they can do with the price seeing as customers ordering after me may have had a better deal.

What do you guys think?

Investments are meant to gain in value any vehicle us mere mortals can buy is going to decrease in value.
Buy it for the fun , good times and places you can go in a Cali.

If you're buying it as an investment you're going to be disappointed. It will retain more of it's value then any other manufacturer equivalent but at the end of the day you're going to lose money. Unless you buy an old classic that's always going to be the case.
I don't think the scandal will have any effect on prices, the transporter/californias weren't involved anyway.
I've just ordered a highline transporter and don't have any concerns about resale values or difficulty in selling it when the time comes.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Don't fret, a 3 year old T6 Beach will be worth way more than £14900. Do you have the option to buy for that at the end of the lease?

I think that I just want to cancel so to postpone and see how the whole scandal pans out. VW is a loved brand but I think that the diesel vehicle could come under extreme scrutiny and leave me with something that is worth no where near what I was hoping it would be.

Don't fret, a 3 year old T6 Beach will be worth way more than £14900. Do you have the option to buy for that at the end of the lease?
The 14,900 is the estimated price that I would have to pay after 3 years on top of the £600 a month lease.

If you're buying it as an investment you're going to be disappointed. It will retain more of it's value then any other manufacturer equivalent but at the end of the day you're going to lose money. Unless you buy an old classic that's always going to be the case.
I don't think the scandal will have any effect on prices, the transporter/californias weren't involved anyway.
I've just ordered a highline transporter and don't have any concerns about resale values or difficulty in selling it when the time comes.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
I appreciate that it will depreciate but feel that I have been quoted a price prior to the scandal and could be paying more than someone who walks onto the forecourt this morning.

Depreciation is always going to happen and all sorts of things down the line will affect the end result. Stock markets, pay rises (or lack of) house prices will all play a part somewhere as well as new model releases and face lifts. How much fun and enjoyment are you going to get out compared to what you put is how I am looking at it. If I looked at just the pound notes I would never buy a new vehicle and would properly still be driving around in a clapped out cortina that was costing me no depreciation but shed loads in repairs.

Well seeing that successive governments have cocked up on power generation and are closing coal powered stations they are now seriously considering diesel powered stations to cover the shortfall. With that in mind they would have a difficult time justifying stopping people using diesel vehicles.
Go ahead and enjoy it.

The 14,900 is the estimated price that I would have to pay after 3 years on top of the £600 a month lease.
£600 x 36 =21600 +14900 = 36500 probably the retail price of the Beach?
A 3 year old T6 Beach might be worth £25k ?? subtracted from £36500 leaves £11500 total paid for the 3 years. (£319 per month) Seems reasonable to me. T6 prices haven't plummeted because of recent events, as Freeley says there will be no shortage of buyers in the future.

While you make up your mind you are missing great days out plus great holidays. I have never seen a car as an investment . Is it not more about what you can afford in the years you are paying for it.

Last edited:
If you buy any car for £35k, see what's it'll worth after 3 years and you'll be better off with a Beach.

As far as I am concerned only vintage vehicles can be considered an investment. Anything modern is a consumable. You pay for the use of the vehicle, but do compare like with like. Will you be paying the road tax, insurance, replacement tyres or servicing costs during the course of the 3 year lease? If you are then these should be taken into account in your calculations. Don't forget holiday savings etc if you use the vehicle for that purpose.
Also, if you don't have a Beach what vehicle will you use and what will that cost over 3 years and if not on a lease don't forget to compare like with like, road tax, insurance etc:.

If it's got to take that amount of calculating ....i say it's a no go ....
Buy something within' your budget;)

I'm willing to give you £15500 in 3 years.
Do we have a deal...???
:cool:

Back