Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I feel guilty about staying in hotels?

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Just thought I should start a discussion on the fact that a campervan is not always be used to camp.

I have been travelling around Spain staying in hotels and not camping. I feel really safe driving the van by myself after drooping my husband and a friend at an airport. Although some airport multistory car parks are a little difficult when sitting on the wrong side. Back to hotel where I could enjoy a good meal before the next day buying 6 bottles of wine, sherry and brandy. 27c so good excuse to drive around to keep battery charged when running cool box. A few days by myself and long days travelling but enjoyable. At least when I got to my destination there was a room a, bed, bar and restaurante waiting for me. No moving things around and cycling next day easy. More wine buying when stopping for fuel on route back to apartment. No room to sleep in the van.

Advantages - 3 of us at start of trip so maybe not enough space to camp with 3 folding bikes in the van.

IMG20221025163207.jpg

Nice and warm in hotel when only 5c outside at Salamanca and aircón in hotel when 24 c at night in Jerez. Great hotels with good views and still able to eat in room if do not want to eat in hotel, supplies in van.

IMG20221106193527.jpg
Van is great for picnicking

Still can go places with great views.
IMG20221102125854.jpg

Disadvantages: cost

If you like staying in hotels, stay in hotels. I prefer driving the van to my car.

You don’t have to camp, I also enjoy using it for day trips. Like today me and the youngest our enjoying a coffee sat in Gloucester university car park while the oldest is attending an open day with the wife.

No one should tell you how to use your van, there’s no right or wrong way.

If you like staying in hotels, stay in hotels. I prefer driving the van to my car.

You don’t have to camp, I also enjoy using it for day trips. Like today me and the youngest our enjoying a coffee sat in Gloucester university car park while the oldest is attending an open day with the wife.

No one should tell you how to use your van, there’s no right or wrong way.
Thanks for your comment.
Hope it is warm sitting in the van for you. I have not yet need to use my heater yet this month but will next week when we get back to the UK.

I used to do similar journeys with my car and I too prefer the van to the car. Apart from the visibility the space is good and of course it has a portapotty! Getting tickets to enter shopping and airport car parks is easier than in the car in Europe. In the car I had to get out but the van I just slide across inside. Although I did have a little problem entering the hotel car park in Salamanca, I pressed the intercom to talk to enter and the barrier went up but by the time I got back to the drivers seat it went down. Only a problem driving a UK van would have been the same in a car. I chatted to the hotel manger who said he will adjust the timing so it is not a problem in the future. Also suggested I tell them I have a UK vehicle.

I traveled a lot though France to Spain by car and the only advantage the car had was the lower height, there is a nice hotel in Madrid I can not stay in with the van as car park too low and I am not keen on parking on a road.

I do use it as a campervan in UK but it is also my main vehicle.

Ours is a holiday vehicle. We Airbnb often but always go in the van.
In certain cities in Spain where we wanted to eat out late and enjoy that culture, we stayed in hotels.

It’s yours. Use it how you like.

Mine is a mobile dog kennel, used mainly to avoid firerworks, I've not even had the pop top up yet. At least, you're doing something decent, enjoy!

We are buying our 2023 T6.1 Ocean 4-motion to travel around the world, and to make use of it's "weekender" design when in National Parks, other beautiful places, and for regular picnics/lunch stops. We're actually on a train to Hamburg right now (13 hours past, 2 to more to go) and retrieving it in the morning.

It will be similar to when we took motorcycles around the world on a 4-year journey - we visited cities/villages, went off-road exploring, stayed in small guest houses where we met the owners, ate in local restaurants, got invited to all kinds of experiences with locals, and camped when we wanted. The Ocean is just more comfy them tent camping, and easier for traveling with our dog.

Currently we also have a 6.4m Ducato coach built camper with everything for off-grid camping. Last summer we traveled 62 nights in Scandinavia, 7 nights in campgrounds and only ate 3 meals in restaurants. Lots of nature, but very few locals.

As the saying goes: One life, Live It‼️
...You get to choose if by your preference, or what others want/expect.

Best wishes

Really good and honest question. There is always that sense of pressure that if you have a campervan then that is where you should sleep. Go on being flexible.
Since 1981 we've been travelling in Europe most Summers and there are a number of eventualities when the warmth/comfort/security of a hotel is the preferred option. Memorable examples were when the Balkan wars meant parking in front of a motel or hotel and staff would willingly keep an eye on the vehicle while we drank beer and dined well before a good night's sleep under their roof. Occasionally campsites would be full and in Yugoslavia, as was, the attached hotel was the same price as an English campsite, but rather more jovial and comfortable.
Everywhere is a new experience. Enjoy.

Just thought I should start a discussion on the fact that a campervan is not always be used to camp.

I have been travelling around Spain staying in hotels and not camping. I feel really safe driving the van by myself after drooping my husband and a friend at an airport. Although some airport multistory car parks are a little difficult when sitting on the wrong side. Back to hotel where I could enjoy a good meal before the next day buying 6 bottles of wine, sherry and brandy. 27c so good excuse to drive around to keep battery charged when running cool box. A few days by myself and long days travelling but enjoyable. At least when I got to my destination there was a room a, bed, bar and restaurante waiting for me. No moving things around and cycling next day easy. More wine buying when stopping for fuel on route back to apartment. No room to sleep in the van.

Advantages - 3 of us at start of trip so maybe not enough space to camp with 3 folding bikes in the van.

View attachment 102140

Nice and warm in hotel when only 5c outside at Salamanca and aircón in hotel when 24 c at night in Jerez. Great hotels with good views and still able to eat in room if do not want to eat in hotel, supplies in van.

View attachment 102141
Van is great for picnicking

Still can go places with great views.
View attachment 102142

Disadvantages: cost
I do it all the time. My friend and I did 3000 km in Europe this year and never camped once we used hotels and air b and b's best of both worlds, driving making coffees and lunch in a 180ps auto Cali, just the job.

My van is my mobile sitting room, kitchen, dining room, and dog transporter. It is also a comfort knowing that there is an emergency backup if I get stuck and can't find somewhere more comfortable to kip for the night.
But to us it for actual camping? Not if I can help it!

My van is my mobile sitting room, kitchen, dining room, and dog transporter. It is also a comfort knowing that there is an emergency backup if I get stuck and can't find somewhere more comfortable to kip for the night.
But to us it for actual camping? Not if I can help it!
Hear Hear

Absolutely it’s ok. That’s what we’re planning on doing. It’s one of the reasons we bought a Cali rather than anything bigger. Works for us staying in it when it’s nice weather and suitable, in poor weather or just to have a really nice comfortable night then we’ll stop in a hotel. Best of both worlds and a much better option than driving a bigger van around. For us anyway. Weekends away in the summer we’ll probably sleep in it but no way for a week or two, portapotty or not!

No I dont think you should feel guilty in the slightest as others have said its totally your choice.
For me my camper is my holiday home on wheels & I love being surrounded by all my own lovely collection of things Im acquiring on my many journeys & have made it my home from home - I absolutely love being cosied up in mine more so when Im totally on my own!

Thanks everyone for your comments it is interesting to see what others use their vans for. I am currently procrastinating unloading the van. We have recently arrived back home and it still has a bicycle, clothes, wine and other shopping in it. Is cold outside and sitting here is a good distraction. Maybe I should put the webasto heater on in the van.

It needs to be unloaded so I can go and buy a Christmas tree. Anyway thanks again for the comments and enjoy your vans.

Thanks everyone for your comments it is interesting to see what others use their vans for. I am currently procrastinating unloading the van. We have recently arrived back home and it still has a bicycle, clothes, wine and other shopping in it. Is cold outside and sitting here is a good distraction. Maybe I should put the webasto heater on in the van.

It needs to be unloaded so I can go and buy a Christmas tree. Anyway thanks again for the comments and enjoy your vans.

Rule number 1 - unpack van as soon as you get home :)
We got our tree today yay

we did a road trip to Norway at the beginning of the year for almost 4 weeks and rarely slept in the van,we used a mix of Airbnb and hotels,for us its too cramped for long periods (2 of us).
certainly a bigger van would be preferable for staying in for more than a weekend.