Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SIDE BARS FOR PROTECTION

Y

YawpedalMiska

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello, Has anyone fitted a Side Bar that protrudes enough from the sill, so that it stops a car when parked alongside from opening
its door onto the California. If you have, would you mind publishing the make, model and where purchased from.
Many Thanks.

Interesting question. No, but I have seen on this forum someone installing a step/ side bar that could work. However it’ll depend on the door profile of the guilty car. We’re thinking of side bars to protect the sill from high curbs and bottoming out ( nearly did that in Devon last year).

Anyone know the fitted cost of VW stainless bars currently?

Interesting question. No, but I have seen on this forum someone installing a step/ side bar that could work. However it’ll depend on the door profile of the guilty car. We’re thinking of side bars to protect the sill from high curbs and bottoming out ( nearly did that in Devon last year).

Anyone know the fitted cost of VW stainless bars currently?
Thanks Hawthorn37

For your interest, we had a quote yesterday to fit VW stainless steel side bars at £520 ( :oops: ). Not sure the price will vary, but going to phone round. Also, our closest van centre Derby said they weren’t taking any bookings for work till into July. Leicester said end of August - so we didn’t bother getting a price.

Hello, Has anyone fitted a Side Bar that protrudes enough from the sill, so that it stops a car when parked alongside from opening
its door onto the California. If you have, would you mind publishing the make, model and where purchased from.
Many Thanks.
Due to the side curve no side bars will protect from door bashers.

VW do side strips that fit about half way up and can be body coloured, at a price.

This type is available (SWB as well), don't like then personally but would have saved my passenger door scrape/bash.

These also but car needs to be taken as to which side the sliding door is.

Last edited:
Due to the side curve no side bars will protect from door bashers.

VW do side strips that fit about half way up and can be body coloured, at a price.

This type is available (SWB as well), don't like then personally but would have saved my passenger door scrape/bash.

These also but car needs to be taken as to which side the sliding door is.

My T5.1 had those side mouldings, colour coded, as standard factory fit.

Mine has them as well, but not sure what use they are. I assume the idea is it's cheaper to replace them then have a paint job done?

Many Thanks.
The point the bars attach is too low to protect from other car doors.

I have tried. Ours are side steps so do protrude beyond the cali sides.

Our other car is an Audi A1. So small and low car, but the Audi door will hit the cali sides. So side bars do not prevent this type of incident.

But these bars have prevented 2 costly incidents....

1. Travelling on M40 a couple of years ago. In roadworks with strong rain and very strong winds. Driving we could see a cone being blown at speed towards us. With the roadwork controls in place there was only one lane open so we had no where to go. I was able to steer the cali so that the cone would hit the side. It hit the side bars with quite a thump. Later inspection showed a few scratches only. Without the bars it would have damaged the side of the van.

2. Driving the Northcoast 500 in 2019. Driving round single track we were confronted by rock fall. No time to avoid but again the side bars protected the cali side panel. This time the damage to the bar was significant and required us to replace the bars.

Side bars are a personal choice and not to everyones taste but the above shows that they can help avoid costly repairs.

The previous owner of my van had fitted side bars but I removed them as was keen on the look. I also wasn't convinced they would offer much protection as the metel was pretty thin, and mounting plates not exactly robust. Were a right pain to get off as every bolt has rusted solid..

DSC_1886.jpg

For your interest, we had a quote yesterday to fit VW stainless steel side bars at £520 ( :oops: ). Not sure the price will vary, but going to phone round. Also, our closest van centre Derby said they weren’t taking any bookings for work till into July. Leicester said end of August - so we didn’t bother getting a price.

You could always try these.
A lot cheaper than the VW stuff

In 20+ years of owning transporters, I’ve only had sill damage once.
I prefer the look of vans without side bars.
Not sure the VW bars are £400 plus better quality than the above mentioned. I would give them a go for the price. If you don’t like them, flog them on and it won’t cost to much…

Still kicking it round in my head. Objective is damage prevention rather than cosmetic, and not to do any harm to the van in the longer term. I noted the VW bars are (supposed to be) quite solid, and have a parts and labour warranty.
Painted side bars are often mild steel rather than stainless and more prone to rust over time.
I've got stainless steel, sidebars VW, front but can't remember where from. 7yrs and over a 100k miles, no rust.

20220519_160234_03.jpg

This was the damage to the stainless side step after hitting large stone bolder on NC500 in 2019. Fortunately the side steps were made from heavy duty stainless steel. Otherwise the potential damage to the cali side would have been extensive.

DSCF1062.JPG

Painted side bars are often mild steel rather than stainless and more prone to rust over time.
I've got stainless steel, sidebars VW, front but can't remember where from. 7yrs and over a 100k miles, no rust.

View attachment 93910
Agree - I think we will opt for VW type - OR should we spend the £520 on 3 tanks of fuel ? :rolleyes: