Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Morning all...

I've been considering ways to hide/disguise the ugly seam that runs along the base of the side panels on my bus. Being Reflex Silver, I think it all looks a bit unfinished, like someone forgot to put some trim on to cover it up!

The obvious answer would be to fit some tight fitting side bars (to cover the seam), but I have been unable to source any. I have looked at all the usual suppliers, but their bars seem to 'stand off' or to fit slightly lower than the seam.

Does anyone know of a set/manufacturer that would solve the problem?

Trevor

Know what you mean about the slightly ruffled look, but the VW fitted ones on our van still don't cover up the seam.

Sarah

Thanks for the feedback Sarah. I would have preferred the 'proper' VW side bars, but obviously they won't do the trick.

Martin...I'll try the Vanworx boys. Thanks for the info; I should have tried them first.

It's really annoying that I can't track these close fitting side bars down. If you Google T4 images there are loads of buses on there with nice 'tight fitting' bars...they must be out there somewhere.

Having super-cool fog lights fitted on Monday...not that I anticipate driving in a lot of fog, but just because I saw them on practically all the California's in Germany (perhaps they have a lot of fog) and thought how much better they looked instead of those blanking plates moulded into the bumper.

T

Mmmmm nice idea!

I hate that seam as well, my panel van conversion was white and lowered and it didn't seem so noticeable on that, but on my metallic Ocean Green Cali it stands out quite a lot... looks even worse on one side where a lazy tyre fitter must've started jacking it up there and bent it back a bit :sad

Maybe some black side bars would look nice - not too far un-factory and reversible too.

Probably should get the rust under the sliding door channel fixed first though :doh

All is not as straight forward as I had assumed. T5WOB's point is very pertinent. It would appear that with most (if not all) of the non-VW side bars (which don't hide the seam of course) you would have to use a trolley jack to change a wheel.

Some people have apparently used butterfly-type nuts to hold the side bars in place, which can be (easily?) removed and therefore, would allow use of the VW jack.

I'm currently talking to Autobrands, the company suggested by Stu (in this thread) to check if their extremely tight fitting bars still allow use of the standard jack. Their bars are not cheap, but look to be a quality product and just what I was looking for....I'll keep you posted on developments.

T

buy cheap buy twice . :eek: .if you get the more expensive ones .can always take them off when you ever sale the van and still get good £ for them :thumb

I think the ones I linked to don't fit by means of a frame like the ones that interfere with jacking points do.

I have the T5 ones from this company and so far as I can see they are exact replica's of the VW item.

Why don't you paint the seam black, either using paint or black underseal. This would tend to camoflage the seam and make it less obvious. That is something I have done on past vehicles.

:thanks Just to finish off this thread from my point of view at least, it is impossible to fit 'close' side bars to a T4 because the standard jack locates on the nasty visible seam...note 'locates', the seam doesn't take the weight.

I have purchased the side bars from AUTOMOTIVE BRANDS and they are of excellent quality. I will also purchase the 3 ton bottle jack from Screwfix (which comes in a nice carry box) and the bars will be fitted with wing nuts for easy removal if required.

Thanks for all the advice and comment. I'll post some pics when completed.

I seem to remember talking to someone in the van centre at Breeze and when they fit side bars they grind down the nuts so they don't get stolen!
It was ages ago so I might be wrong... but you don't want someone walking off with them.
Matt.