Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Door pull down Privacy blind Trim Broken

Cali Cali Cali

Cali Cali Cali

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So I don't know how it happened nor how it can, but the little plastic insert that the slide down blind slides down into had miraculously popped off at some point in the past day.
And when I had a look round under Sakura, I found it, albeit CRUSHED TO SMITHEREENS

So I'm reaching out on here in hope of finding someone who knows what this part is called and where I can find a replacement, and soonish of possible.
Fortunately, it is only the plastic trim insert that's broken and not any of the privacy blind but I really would like to get this repaired as soon as I can.
I have a feeling though, something like this will only be sold as full trim kit perhaps. :(

Please help, if you can :)

20220222_090300.jpg20220222_090252.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Sad
So I don't know how it happened nor how it can, but the little plastic insert that the slide down blind slides down into had miraculously popped off at some point in the past day.
And when I had a look round under Sakura, I found it, albeit CRUSHED TO SMITHEREENS

So I'm reaching out on here in hope of finding someone who knows what this part is called and where I can find a replacement, and soonish of possible.
Fortunately, it is only the plastic trim insert that's broken and not any of the privacy blind but I really would like to get this repaired as soon as I can.
I have a feeling though, something like this will only be sold as full trim kit perhaps. :(

View attachment 89490View attachment 89491
According to this info, you can, but probably only from VW. Part 10

985AD1EB-9A44-48FC-A938-0059C8C8D7D8.pngFE489135-2258-4EA0-AC0F-54E3AAB54145.jpeg

View attachment 89490View attachment 89491
Does the black ‘sealant’ suggest that it’s come off before and been glued back?

Does the black ‘sealant’ suggest that it’s come off before and been glued back?

Yeah that is a good point, I didn't think of that. Most trim bits are just clipped in I thought.
But now you mention it, that glue / sealant does look a bit of a hack job,.

I still have the parts (crushed parts) that fell off, and I can't see any of that glue residue on there. Maybe it just came away / got nudged while getting the child seat in :(

Just be aware that the parts diagram above is old and the part numbers will be different according to the trim colour. Yours is darker than ours.

@WelshGas Thank you so much for posting this, I didn't know it even existed.

How did you find this diagram and is that from a page where I can literally order the one part?

Thank you for posting this, really! :)
The diagram etc; came from here.

You can’t order from the site. You’ll need to go to VW to get the correct part/colour for your vehicle.
if you were a VIP member you could PM @calikev who might be able to get the exact VW part number for your vehicle.

I’ve seen this problem in many Californias…std problem..

They are about £6 from vw but you will need the correct part number for your trim colour

I’ve seen this problem in many Californias…std problem..
Ours broke early on and I managed to overlay it with tape of a similar colour before it broke into pieces. It seems to have been caused by that part not being exactly in line with the channel so the blind didn’t run smoothly I put a small amount of Vaseline on the runner which worked a treat. I’ve found that EVERYTHING needs to be treated with absolute care when opening and closing otherwise you are in for problems.

As an alternative solution, we used a Isolite insulated panel on the door window as below. The major advantage was that it opened with the door, handy for those bathroom trips at night. 2nd advantage was that it was ok to lean on when watching the laptop when it was on the kitchen.

IMG_4158.jpeg

Thank you all for the solid advice,

I managed to speak with Simon from parts at breeze VW Poole and and he managed to track down the part (part 21 in image below) for my registration (hopefully the right colour though - didn't think of that).
So £5 odd for the part and will pick up in a week or 2. Sorted - hopefully.

But the part number be gave was exactly as inscribed on the back of my smashed piece so fingers crossed, the colours will somewhat match.

Speaking of 'being careful', I was in the cali last night emptying the tanks and when the sliding door is closed, it's protruding edge is extremely close to where it could potentially hit /touch the plastic trim that popped out. Maybe that's how it happened?

And that isolite cover looks great @andyinluton
Looks like brandrup? Do you have a link to where to get one from at a good price?
Also, it looks very flush, does it stick on with magnets? Or is it a rigid tent bar type like the default equipment?

Cheers
All

Screenshot_20220224-065941_Photos.jpg

As an alternative solution, we used a Isolite insulated panel on the door window as below. The major advantage was that it opened with the door, handy for those bathroom trips at night. 2nd advantage was that it was ok to lean on when watching the laptop when it was on the kitchen.

View attachment 89533
Oh that looks nice, not wishing to hijack but can I ask where you bought it please?

(Oops, just noticed similar question by Sakura-Cali)

My guess would be it's this one:

100 701 573ISOLITE Extreme sliding window in sliding door right VW T6.1/T6 /T5 (as from 2010 with complete lining)

You can find it at Brandrup on this page. The club shop seems to tell several, but not the one for the sliding door window, if I am not mistaken. But perhaps they can order them for you.

There could well be one in the classifieds shortly.

Back