Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sites on Skye

Stewbie

Stewbie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We are looking to spend a few nights on Skye in early October, and want to stay on sites with toilet/shower facilities (EHU not a necessity). But the main requirement is to be located somewhere within walking distance a good pub or restaurant, so we can while away a few hours of those longer nights.
Looking to move from site to site, so would be grateful for your collective knowledge on a number of sites which fit the above requirements, as am not having much luck with the usual internet searches.
Thank you in advance for your help !

On Skye a few weeks ago blessed with glorious weather absolutely amazing.
As far as campsites are concerned all the ones we stayed on were rather remote, its all about the scenery rather than pub location I'm afraid.
Our favorite was Glenbrittle beach, stunning.
If you don't need ehu you can virtually park on the beach. No pub but proper cafe serving food, possibly alcohol?
We did stay at Portree campsite, 25 minutes to town walking but lacked the stunning views of Glenbrittle.
If in Portree would recommend Stardust boats whale watching trip, we didn't see whales but saw sea eagles, sunfish and dolphins.
Don't forget Talisker distillery, great coffee shop opposite.
There's also a famous seafood/restaurant in a shed uphill behind the distillery, bit of a tourist trap in my opinion.
Skye also has a great brewery with shop, excellent beer so worth a look.
Enjoy your trip, if you've never been the scenery is a match for anything in Europe just hope you get the weather to be able to see it.

We are looking to spend a few nights on Skye in early October, and want to stay on sites with toilet/shower facilities (EHU not a necessity). But the main requirement is to be located somewhere within walking distance a good pub or restaurant, so we can while away a few hours of those longer nights.
Looking to move from site to site, so would be grateful for your collective knowledge on a number of sites which fit the above requirements, as am not having much luck with the usual internet searches.
https://campingskye.com/, we only used one site which was camping Skye, excellent facillities on site and very close to Broadford which had pubs /supermarket etc. We only used the site as a replenishment / shower site before wandering around the rest of skye. I would definitely use the site again if it helps in any.

On Skye a few weeks ago blessed with glorious weather absolutely amazing.
As far as campsites are concerned all the ones we stayed on were rather remote, its all about the scenery rather than pub location I'm afraid.
Our favorite was Glenbrittle beach, stunning.
If you don't need ehu you can virtually park on the beach. No pub but proper cafe serving food, possibly alcohol?
We did stay at Portree campsite, 25 minutes to town walking but lacked the stunning views of Glenbrittle.
If in Portree would recommend Stardust boats whale watching trip, we didn't see whales but saw sea eagles, sunfish and dolphins.
Don't forget Talisker distillery, great coffee shop opposite.
There's also a famous seafood/restaurant in a shed uphill behind the distillery, bit of a tourist trap in my opinion.
Skye also has a great brewery with shop, excellent beer so worth a look.
Enjoy your trip, if you've never been the scenery is a match for anything in Europe just hope you get the weather to be able to see it.
Thank you @wandering star for your comprehensive response :) Have been to Skye & the Highlands many times, but never in a campervan, so the experience will be a little different (no doubt better !) than previously. I love the place ! I do agree that it's all about the scenery... during daylight hours. But it's also nice to have somewhere cosy to go out for a meal to once the scenery has faded behind a sunset

Morvich Club Campsite​

Kyle, UNITED KINGDOM, IV40 8HQ

Camping and Motorhome club is very near to Skye. Stayed there many years ago so no idea what is like now but maybe worth investergating.

https://campingskye.com/, we only used one site which was camping Skye, excellent facillities on site and very close to Broadford which had pubs /supermarket etc. We only used the site as a replenishment / shower site before wandering around the rest of skye. I would definitely use the site again if it helps in any.
Thank you @Fish111111111. I will check this out for sure. I like Broadford, so this'll be great for one of the nights !

Can’t help with Skye sites but fully agree with somewhere to go, as it gets dark very early in October.
If your on Mull at any time there is a site at Craignure and the Craignure Inn ( good pub grub, dog friendly and great vibe ) is only about 200 metres away.

Can’t help with Skye sites but fully agree with somewhere to go, as it gets dark very early in October.
If your on Mull at any time there is a site at Craignure and the Craignure Inn ( good pub grub, dog friendly and great vibe ) is only about 200 metres away.
Duly noted for our next trip to the Highlands & Islands ! Thank you

Thank you @Stu@rt . I had seen this place and it does look lovely. But is there a place to walk to in the evening for a meal ? It looks like the cafe closes at 16:00
No. It's at the end of nowhere - nearest phone signal is about 4 miles back up the road too. The cafe does fab coffee and cake, but not much of a menu.

Morvich Club Campsite​

Kyle, UNITED KINGDOM, IV40 8HQ

Camping and Motorhome club is very near to Skye. Stayed there many years ago so no idea what is like now but maybe worth investergating.
Thank you @Barbara ... I'll take a look !

The site at Broadford is the only site we know of oon Skye you can walk to pubs and shops. Morvich is a great site, but it’s a 10 minute drive to a Very good pub at Dornie. Glenbrittle has a coffee shop on site but is very remote, the Camping and Caravan site is also remote.

There’s a private campsite north of Portree , but we’ve not been there. It would be a good walk to Portree - and I don’t know about opening times

Last edited:
We stayed at Torvaig campsite near Portree a couple of years ago. Good facilities. Bit of a walk into town but doable. Fair number of bars/restaurants in Portree but it is a magnet for tourists, so very busy.

The site at Broadford is the only site we know of oon Skye you can walk to pubs and shops. Morvich is a great site, but it’s a 10 minute drive to a Very good pub at Dornie. Glenbrittle has a coffee shop on site but is very remote, the Camping and Caravan site is also remote.

There’s a private campsite north of Portree , but we’ve not been there. It would be a good walk to Portree - and I don’t know about opening times
Thank you @Hawthorn37

We stayed at Torvaig campsite near Portree a couple of years ago. Good facilities. Bit of a walk into town but doable. Fair number of bars/restaurants in Portree but it is a magnet for tourists, so very busy.
Thank you @GrumpyGranddad . Looks like we're going to have to invest in a couple of bikes and a carrier in the not-too-distant.... !

We were on Skye last week, two campsites we stayed at (both of which we've stayed at before);

Glenbrittle. Non-bookable, informal, there are EHU points but a sea of great whites were there. Bring levelling chocks. Can get a bit muddy. No 'phone reception (a blessing?!) but a stunning location. Onsite bakery/cafe for croissants, bread, coffee and a small shop. Facilities are reasonable. £24 per night for two adults without EHU.

Kinloch (Dunvegan). Bookable (it was fully booked when we were there). It was rather crammed in (previously we'd been in April 2015 and it was quiet then). Facilities are very dated and insufficient for how many pitches they are squeezing in. Hardstanding pitches were very close to adjacent vehicles (a few better spots, all with great whites in so perhaps reserved for larger vehicles?), but it is in a fabulous location and our pitch was about 10m from the sea (raised up a bit, so no worrying about high tides and it's a sheltered-ish bay so no waves either). There are some facilities in Dunvegan including a restuarant (Old School House I think it's called) close by - don't think there's a pub as such, but they're fairly rare in rural Scotland - tends to be hotels with a bar. Expensive - £34 for 2 adults and no EHU!

You might have better luck in October; last week was the first time (out of many) I've visited Skye in "peak" season and it was horrendously busy. I will reserve future visits for the shoulder months of March/October.

We were on Skye last week, two campsites we stayed at (both of which we've stayed at before);

Glenbrittle. Non-bookable, informal, there are EHU points but a sea of great whites were there. Bring levelling chocks. Can get a bit muddy. No 'phone reception (a blessing?!) but a stunning location. Onsite bakery/cafe for croissants, bread, coffee and a small shop. Facilities are reasonable. £24 per night for two adults without EHU.

Kinloch (Dunvegan). Bookable (it was fully booked when we were there). It was rather crammed in (previously we'd been in April 2015 and it was quiet then). Facilities are very dated and insufficient for how many pitches they are squeezing in. Hardstanding pitches were very close to adjacent vehicles (a few better spots, all with great whites in so perhaps reserved for larger vehicles?), but it is in a fabulous location and our pitch was about 10m from the sea (raised up a bit, so no worrying about high tides and it's a sheltered-ish bay so no waves either). There are some facilities in Dunvegan including a restuarant (Old School House I think it's called) close by - don't think there's a pub as such, but they're fairly rare in rural Scotland - tends to be hotels with a bar. Expensive - £34 for 2 adults and no EHU!

You might have better luck in October; last week was the first time (out of many) I've visited Skye in "peak" season and it was horrendously busy. I will reserve future visits for the shoulder months of March/October.
Thank you @RockinNRollin - a comprehensive response and very much appreciated :)