Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning lighting

Spud

Spud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anybody any ideas for awning lighting ? Would just be handy to have something outside other than a torch for going out when dark. Also any recommendations for sites North Devon, hoping to go early November for a Few days, small site walking distance to pub :crazy

Varta 4 watt camping lantern (300 lumens) is really good - about £30. A feature is to unscrew the top and then you can hang it upside down from the awning to give the best spread of light.

It's not a warm glow, more like a white light, but the light spread is really good.

We use a string of LEDS. It's five metres feet long and we thread it round the awning struts, reels onto a plastic bobbin and cost around £7 from eBay. It just needs a lead and plug putting on for a12v socket.
We plug it into the socket in the rear and just put the lead through the tailgate. Gives a good all round illumination.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-12V-IP65- ... 0062961539

IRe: Awning lighting

Love the idea of the LED strips but have no idea how I would connect the power supply. I would ideally want to plug it into one of the 12v sockets, so what do I need to buy to connect the strip? Sorry for the very silly question......

The LED strip comes with a short length of two wires on one end. Then all you need is a plug to go into the 12v socket and about three metres of twin wire. Connect the wire to the plug and then to the two wires on the end of the LED strip. Ideally this joint should be soldered and each wire wrapped with insulation tape.
Make sure that positive and negative are the right way round and you should have lights.
If in doubt nip it down to your local auto electrician.

I have just purchased those leds from the ebay link above and I have soldered on an old 12v plug and they are great.

Use a bit of heat shrink to insulate and make it look smart.

Thanks for the tip

Thanks

Tony

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Led lights in action...

uploadfromtaptalk1382895583920.jpg

I've also stuck a 3ft length across the roof just behind the drop down shelf and wired it direct into the roof light. Now got a decent light in the back for loading/unloading/making the bed etc and it illuminates the rear cupboard as well.

The stuff is amazing and cheap. The kids have requested miles of it to be stuck arpund their bedrooms.

there were big queues all around a stand selling the LED strips at the NEC show a week or so ago..I picked up a flyer as the kids were getting restless but it looked like a great idea!

Back