Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Cupboard Door

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi.

I am looking at buying a Cali and one I have found has a broken rear cupboard/wardrobe sliding door. I know they are about £100 to buy but can I ask how easy they are to fit please.

Is it a simple DIY fix or does it need special tools - I do have quite a tool kit but...........

Also quite few seem to have stained rear seats - are these easy to clean up?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi.

I am looking at buying a Cali and one I have found has a broken rear cupboard/wardrobe sliding door. I know they are about £100 to buy but can I ask how easy they are to fit please.

Is it a simple DIY fix or does it need special tools - I do have quite a tool kit but...........

Also quite few seem to have stained rear seats - are these easy to clean up?

Thanking you in anticipation.
DIY fitting. No special tools.
Rear seats, Autoglym Interior Shampoo or a good Car Valet company.

I'm going to be asking several questions before I decide on the one I've seen...... it has slight wear on the side of the bellows - common I understand but how waterproof are the bellows?? As in when it is quite hard rain outside... Many thanks

I'm going to be asking several questions before I decide on the one I've seen...... it has slight wear on the side of the bellows - common I understand but how waterproof are the bellows?? As in when it is quite hard rain outside... Many thanks
As waterproof as a Canvas tent. If touched when wet water comes through. A Waterproof Topper stops this.

Such as an IsoTop which this one has??

I understand how tent works as spent many years in mountain tents but just thinking out loud as we often go away and get rain but might sleep upstairs to give space downstairs for dog...

Such as an IsoTop which this one has??

I understand how tent works as spent many years in mountain tents but just thinking out loud as we often go away and get rain but might sleep upstairs to give space downstairs for dog...
As many do.

Sorry - would an IsoTop give any protection or does it have to be one of the toppers that fit on the outside?? Can the bellows be re-proofed like a tent?

My current Leisuredrive bellows is a type of plastic coated material which is ok in rain. It is however side hinged so you face the solid roof in direction of any known bad weather!

Sorry - would an IsoTop give any protection or does it have to be one of the toppers that fit on the outside?? Can the bellows be re-proofed like a tent?

My current Leisuredrive bellows is a type of plastic coated material which is ok in rain. It is however side hinged so you face the solid roof in direction of any known bad weather!
The IsoTop is fine inside. The canvas will still get wet on the outside and will have to be dried before any prolonged storage of a week or so to prevent mould as you would with a canvas tent.

AH I see. So unless it is raining for days and no chance of it drying before leaving site you simply open up when home to ensure dry before roof down. WE do that now with ours already and air it now and again.

AH I see. So unless it is raining for days and no chance of it drying before leaving site you simply open up when home to ensure dry before roof down. WE do that now with ours already and air it now and again.
That's correct. For those that don't have off street parking then an External Topper is probably better.

Brill - thank you very much for your help - much appreciated and hopefully I'll soon be a Cali owner!

Apart from the risk of mould there’s also a chance of staining the roof lining and mattress if the roof canvas is stowed wet. So I tend to use the external topper if there’s a likelihood of rain.

I suppose I'm only really talking about in use as we have a driveway where I can even have an awning up to dry out as well so on that assumption we would probably be ok. In use how well does it stand up to rain and wind? Must admit in heavy rain we pull our roof down but if you're sleeping up there and it starts to rain hard?????? What do most do in that situation - just ensure they keep away from the sides?

Sorry I should have said the vehicle I am looking at is a 2010 SE

I suppose I'm only really talking about in use as we have a driveway where I can even have an awning up to dry out as well so on that assumption we would probably be ok. In use how well does it stand up to rain and wind? Must admit in heavy rain we pull our roof down but if you're sleeping up there and it starts to rain hard?????? What do most do in that situation - just ensure they keep away from the sides?
From discussions on here, the roof seems to be able to handle some pretty strong winds but the problem is getting it down safely if the wind gets too strong, so I tend to play safe and drop the roof before I get twitchy! The older canvas, like mine, does get a bit of beading of water if the rain is driving in sideways. And as you say don’t touch the canvas.... easier said than done!
If you do a search of the forum there’s lots of comments about the roof canvas... in fact just about every aspect of the Cali!

Hozizontal rain at the weekend, 18 hours roof up to roof down, no water came through, well impressed.