Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door - intermittent fault with power lock

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’ve read and tried to understand the various threads on this topic and I’ve picked up some really useful info. I‘ve not been able to find answers to my particular most immediate concerns though, hence this post. I am not at all technically competent.

By way of background, on two occasions within the last approx six months, the door power latch has failed to operate, so that when I tried to close it, the front part of the door seems to engage with the closing mechanism, but the back part of the door was left proud of the frame, with no sign of life from the power latch. On both occasions, the problem righted itself within a minute or two, with no attention from me, other than opening and closing the door. There has been no issue for probably the last two months. I am however, concerned that it could happen again and next time I might not be so lucky, so I’ve arranged for a VW trained mechanic to sort it. He advised that the most sensible way forward would be to call him the next time it happens and he would come along and plug in his diagnostic tool. Great idea, but what if the van is in France? So, he’s replacing bits incrementally, starting with the electrical contacts.

That’s some background. I’m hoping someone might be able to advise on what the position will be if the problem arises again despite the contacts being replaced and the van is far from home - yes in France - the holiday is booked from 27th of this month! Specifically, with the door partially closed as I describe above, will it be possible to lock the van? Are there other concerns we should be aware of? I will ask the mechanic about this, but I’d also appreciate the views of any members of the forum with the relevant knowledge. The hope is that the holiday wouldn’t be ruined and, with some inconvenience, could still be enjoyed. My son is taking the van with his wife and two teenage children. On the positive side, he is technically competent (but not a car mechanic).

Thank you - any advice gratefully received.