Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Table Hinge, Is yours cracked?

The unfolded 60-somewhat-cm leg has so much more leverage than the 5cm pin. Otherwise: just try it... You will see instantly what I mean.

View attachment 34080

This hits the nail on the head. Iv watched my 3 year old in action for all of an hour in the van since we have had it and it’s when they pull the table closer to them to eat from whilst the leg is down putting sideways leverage on the leg as that doesn’t slide across the floor. This force is much greater at the fixed hinge end where the leg attaches to the table causing the hinge to crack.

It’s only a matter of time before mine fails completely as it’s badly cracked now but I can’t see a fix to it other than a new table or disowning the kids.

You asked what the fix is. I would make replacement hinge block in steel steel as it cheap and easy to make then rivet and bond it to the table. Aluminium alloy should be the VW solution. It wont fail again.

How big is the issue with these as I may consider engineering the VW standard alloy / repair solution for retail ?

You asked what the fix is. I would make replacement hinge block in steel steel as it cheap and easy to make then rivet and bond it to the table. Aluminium alloy should be the VW solution. It wont fail again.

How big is the issue with these as I may consider engineering the VW standard alloy / repair solution for retail ?
It’s not a big deal judging by the individual number of posts.

In six years and two Calis never had this problem. It’s your own presious car and we are very carefull and it Looks like new after 2,5 years. I think People who Rent a Cali doesn‘t care much about the Cali.
So in my opinion VW is right when they talk
About Customer abuse.

I have this crack on my new Coast which has had rattle issues and the table attaching bolts loosening / even fall out on occasion. I will request that this is fixed under warranty as when the bolts fall out any weight on the table will potentially cause stress fractures. I think there is also an operator issue when the leg is not locked prior to stowage, when pushing back it catches the release handle which will also cause a stress on the hinge; my other half will hopefully learn one day.

We are a hire company and currently have 5 T6 Californias. On all of them the sliding table leg hinge has broken. Even on the most recent 2018 van already. If we bring this up with VW they say it is customer abuse. What we think is happening is that when the chrome "spike" locates against the van cupboards and locks in place it lifts the table slightly. This means it then takes the entire weight of the table on the spike/hinge fitting. All it then takes is for the rear seat passenger to rest their left arm on it and it cracks. I would be very interested to know if you have a cracked hinge. Presumably you don't abuse the vans like VW allege our customers do. Also if anybody has a fix that would be great. Ideally one which doesn't mean drilling through the table.

View attachment 33920
I bought my califirnia 6.1 from new and take extremely great care of, that sa8d i have suffered the same issue with the table leg joint and also believe ut is poorly made and manufactured, i am in the process of contacting the dealership as i believe it should at VW expense to rectify.

I fancy a challenge. I have a beach and the table is different so I don't have this problem.

I am willing to try and make a replacement design which would be in Aluminium, I would need some dimensions of the bracket and some more details. I also wonder if the issue is the leg dragging on the floor whether a rolling support could be added on the foot.

Poor design. Reinforced mine and its been fine since (I think?)

I fancy a challenge. I have a beach and the table is different so I don't have this problem.

I am willing to try and make a replacement design which would be in Aluminium, I would need some dimensions of the bracket and some more details. I also wonder if the issue is the leg dragging on the floor whether a rolling support could be added on the foot.

It is the dragging, nothing else. It is very well possible to make a better hinge and I think VW should make the effort. But it won’t solve the issue. If you make ut unbreakable it will for sure damage your table surface because it is made from a very lightweight sandwich aluminium. Even a triangular pole would twist the tabletop beyond repair or rip off the hinge profile.

A kind of supporting wheel might help but this will not add to the stability of the table.

It is like all other lightweight stuff: handle with care!

Hi

As it turns out, my wife and I are not alone in this problem. We noticed that yesterday. We have the Ocean T6 model and we are interested in how this can be fixed. As it turns out, the attachment is such that it is not possible to change the hinge alone, so it is probably necessary to buy a new table. But what is the price of that table?

viber_image_2021-09-27_07-53-52-701.jpg

We have this crack, not quite as extreme and pretty sure it occurred when a youngster pushed the table when leaving their seat. The leverage when the leg down is too much for that hinge, maybe having a carpet contributed. It wasn’t a dramatic incident and I wouldn’t call excessive wear.
New table is v. Expensive and although i have the parts explosion it seems you cant buy the parts and it would be v. Difficult to repair. Epoxy has worked but not very secure and only used carefully by us now.
Ours is a 2013 t5.1
I put it down as one of those cali issues so good to see others haven’t had it and maybe it is worth replacing the table!

We have this crack, not quite as extreme and pretty sure it occurred when a youngster pushed the table when leaving their seat. The leverage when the leg down is too much for that hinge, maybe having a carpet contributed. It wasn’t a dramatic incident and I wouldn’t call excessive wear.
New table is v. Expensive and although i have the parts explosion it seems you cant buy the parts and it would be v. Difficult to repair. Epoxy has worked but not very secure and only used carefully by us now.
Ours is a 2013 t5.1
I put it down as one of those cali issues so good to see others haven’t had it and maybe it is worth replacing the table!
There would seem to be room there to make an aluminium cap to go over the grey plastic hinge that has cracked to hold it in place, bonded to the hinge/table as support.

I have made a 3D printed cover for mine and glued it on. Which has been ok. There’s not so much room between the hinge and the table leg when it drops down.

I think another way to attack the issue is you change the foot design so it slides on the floor easier. Thus not bending the leg at the hinge

I have made a 3D printed cover for mine and glued it on. Which has been ok. There’s not so much room between the hinge and the table leg when it drops down.

I think another way to attack the issue is you change the foot design so it slides on the floor easier. Thus not bending the leg at the hinge
Hi Wynney,

Is this something you could supply at an appropriate price and postage?

Thanks
Ken

Hi Wynney,

Is this something you could supply at an appropriate price and postage?

Thanks
Ken
Hi Ken,
I can do yes. Although it’s effectiveness is reliant on the bond to the hinge / amount of original material there is…

Hi Wynney,
Things seem to have deteriorated over the recent past, I had filled the previous crack with epoxy glue but it would appear the hinge further cracked and has fallen away. maybe a bit late for your re-enforcement but let me know what you think….

thanks
Ken796D8C80-5485-45CD-97A2-3727AA0A4724.jpeg

I would say that too far gone. I would consider finding some small bore pipe to bond to the table and forget the plastic all together in your case?

Agree and thanks, I am pretty much resigned to replacing the table, may well do a reinforce piece when new to try and avoid any recurrence.

Thanks
Ken

Agree and thanks, I am pretty much resigned to replacing the table, may well do a reinforce piece when new to try and avoid any recurrence.

Thanks
Ken
I reckon a local metal fabricator could make a hinge for much less than the cost of a new table.

Edit - Just had a thought. Maybe a standard hinge could be adapted. Knock out the pin and use half of the hinge to replace the broken part. Find one with the right sized pin and file the body to fit.

7E277E41-F0FC-4566-BD38-7FD6C5A7B1B4.png

Last edited:
I reckon a local metal fabricator could make a hinge for much less than the cost of a new table.

Edit - Just had a thought. Maybe a standard hinge could be adapted. Knock out the pin and use half of the hinge to replace the broken part. Find one with the right sized pin and file the body to fit.

View attachment 85062
Not great editing but this is what I mean.

1DDD997E-1423-4F49-8018-3B0EDAFE563F.png

If someone can give me the dimensions of the hinge I will see if I can make one from aluminium. Seems ridiculous to buy a new table for the sake of a hinge.

Hi Johnboy,

Great offer, I will go out and do some measuring in the morning.

Thanks
Ken

If someone can give me the dimensions of the hinge I will see if I can make one from aluminium. Seems ridiculous to buy a new table for the sake of a hinge.
You’d probably have a few takers if you go into production.

More room for a metal replacement could be made by filling the "U" shaped cutout on the leg if that was a problem.

My repair is still holding up even with two dogs bashing into it. Very little room. I repaired the crack by glueing (Gorrilla) , a little prep, and then glued a plastic reinforcement / shroud cover over the repair. I think I was lucky and caught it as it was cracking.

Back