Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fixed the sliding table hinge

CaliSwede

CaliSwede

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

We're renting our camper and have had quite many families and couples in our camper during 2020. I knew it was only a matter of time until the hinge was going to fail and sure enough, when I had a look, it was already cracked and close to breaking.

IMG_5628_cr.jpgIMG_5629_cr.jpg

A new table at VW is about 450 euros, so I figured I'd try to fix it myself before buying a new one.

It much simpler than I though. Only basic tools needed and could find all the parts in my local hardware store. I started by removing the cracked part of the plastic and drilling out the two rivets seen in the top image. I then bought a simple hinge for a door that you would have in a house. Below are some pictures of the parts that I used. I had to drill an extra hole in the door hinge. I also drilled holes in the table. I added some contact glue for extra stability and the bolts are of a locking type. I found inspiration to this solution in a French forum, but it wasn't easy to find. Though this might help people since this is a really common problem. There are some cracks in the visible table surface, I hope it will still hold :)

IMG_5630.JPEGIMG_5631.JPEGIMG_5632.JPEGIMG_5633.JPEGIMG_5634.JPEGIMG_5635.JPEGIMG_5636.JPEG

Hi all,

We're renting our camper and have had quite many families and couples in our camper during 2020. I knew it was only a matter of time until the hinge was going to fail and sure enough, when I had a look, it was already cracked and close to breaking.

View attachment 88293View attachment 88294

A new table at VW is about 450 euros, so I figured I'd try to fix it myself before buying a new one.

It much simpler than I though. Only basic tools needed and could find all the parts in my local hardware store. I started by removing the cracked part of the plastic and drilling out the two rivets seen in the top image. I then bought a simple hinge for a door that you would have in a house. Below are some pictures of the parts that I used. I had to drill an extra hole in the door hinge. I also drilled holes in the table. I added some contact glue for extra stability and the bolts are of a locking type. I found inspiration to this solution in a French forum, but it wasn't easy to find. Though this might help people since this is a really common problem. There are some cracks in the visible table surface, I hope it will still hold :)

View attachment 88295View attachment 88296View attachment 88297View attachment 88298View attachment 88299View attachment 88300View attachment 88301
Good job, countersunk screws for the top of the table would give a flush fit that you could fill and then fit a pixers table sticker :)

Good job, countersunk screws for the top of the table would give a flush fit that you could fill and then fit a pixers table sticker :)

Thanks!
The table has an interesting structure. It seems to be a sandwiched material consisting of two thin aluminum plates. On the back it's the aluminum (painted grey) and on the top there is a melamine-like layer glued to the aluminum. There has to be something in between I guess, but I haven't seen what is is. I though about countersinking the screws but decided not to when I saw how thin the aluminum layer was. I think it can be done but it risks not being stable, at least in my mind :)

I think the table is made from the same aluminium waffle sandwich that the kitchen units are made from called Metawell...

Screenshot_20220119-080437.png

Hi all,

View attachment 88295View attachment 88296View attachment 88297View attachment 88298View attachment 88299View attachment 88300View attachment 88301
That looks like a very durable solution, did you make a drawing for the part you made?

Hi all,

Excellent fix

My Cali was due in for service this week, and this post prompted to look at the hinge underneath the table. I have on numerous occasions had to retgihten the kitchen side fixing nearest the bench seat as it comes loose and drops out. My table hinge did indeed have a hairline crack starting to appear. VW agreed to replace under warranty ( as well as the hob lid catch which has never worked properly). I am going to ask if i can keep the old table to try this fix with, as I have no doubt the apparent fragility of the original hinge means it is sure to fail again at some point in the future.

My Cali was due in for service this week, and this post prompted to look at the hinge underneath the table. I have on numerous occasions had to retgihten the kitchen side fixing nearest the bench seat as it comes loose and drops out. My table hinge did indeed have a hairline crack starting to appear. VW agreed to replace under warranty ( as well as the hob lid catch which has never worked properly). I am going to ask if i can keep the old table to try this fix with, as I have no doubt the apparent fragility of the original hinge means it is sure to fail again at some point in the future.

Glad to hear you got a new one!
You can fix both and sell the other :cool:

Back